“Tired and understaffed”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Beaulieu
abu dhabi
“Tired and understaffed”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed for one night and had little /no expectation, we just needed a bedroom and had planned to dine out close by. The hotel room for 3 ( two adults and a child) was large but the road was noisy and the whole place felt a bit tired. We also stayed at two of the New Forest hotel group's other properties during our New Forest holiday - Bartley Lodge and Moorhill House both of which were much, much, much better than this. It feels like the hotel that time forgot- slightly 80's and a bit grotty.
Given the choice of accommodation available in the area I wouldn't bother with this place to be honest. There was one guy doing the breakfast service on his own- so it was slow and the room looked pretty messy- and the Dine Inn ( which we didn't use or eat in) looked pretty average too. Try their other places instead.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road
2 Thank bakingcakes
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at The Beaulieu Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for your review. The Beaulieu Hotel has recently been refurbished with a few outstanding finishing touches to be done, however the style of the hotel remains in keeping with the character of the building. I hope you still had a comfortable night with us and look forward to welcoming you back to the group in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The positives of this hotel are the following:

Peaceful, serene, quiet and picturesque location. Middle of nowhere, horses everywhere, stunning views. You must have a car otherwise you'll struggle.

Nice pub next to the hotel with a great beer garden, great to chill out in.

The rooms in the Annex are lovely. Well equipped, clean, quiet.

Negatives about this hotel:

Staff- well some of them, especially the breakfast staff. They look bored, uninterested, lazy and slow.

The breakfast- very, very 3 star at a push. The smoked salmon & eggs sounds lovely, until it arrives and you realize the salmon has been chopped up and cooked in the eggs. I love seeing people's faces when this dish arrives, utter shock & disappointment, mine included.

Steam room- out of order again, like it was last year. Also the wifi is extremely hit or miss, that should be improved.

Overall I really like this hotel, primarily due to the location and grounds surrounding, however I would certainly recommend staying here if using the Tesco clubcard points as I did. A solid 3 star.

Room Tip: Annex rooms are nice but you'll hear the odd train shooting past.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank UK_Foodie_07
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I am pleased you once again had an enjoyable stay, and thank you for the feedback which we appreciate as it helps us to monitor and improve our service. I will ensure your comments are forwarded to the general manager so he can investigate the issues further. The WiFi can be a problem at times due to the very remote location of the hotel in the New Forest, however we are always doing our best to improve this service. I do hope you will return for another visit soon.
St Neots
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed at the Beaulieu Hotel for 2 nights. Staff were friendly, pleasant, and helpful and the location is perfect for a relaxing break. The road at the front can be quite noisy at times, but you get used to it.
The rooms are clean, but very dated, which could do with upgrading, but that's nothing major. Beds are very soft, which was great for me, however my partner couldn't sleep very well both nights.
We didnt have food at the hotel in the evenings, but breakfast was, in our opinion quite small. You do get a buffet to start but when your like me and fussy, it's not brilliant. We did enjoy the fact that your breakfast was cooked to order but the portion sizes were tiny! A new forest breakfast consisted of one sausage, one egg, a few baked beans, a tomato and a few mushrooms, which was very small for us.
We would stay again, as we loved the location and it was a glorious break! But we just felt that those things needed to be improved to make it better for us.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank LPG456
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I booked 6 of our family for afternoon tea. 7 of us turned up in the end which didn't seem to be a problem. We were shown to our table to a lovely quiet garden in the shade. Lovely so far, it was lovely to relax and enjoy some family time but I can not recommend afternoon tea. There was hardly any service, tea for 6 appeared with 1 extra scone only. Sandwiches were not enough and when asked for more they explained they were too busy. Scones were lovely but the sandwiches and cake choice lacked inspiration. Tea pots were not topped up and no attentive service. At £14:95 per head I do expect better service and value.

2 Thank Normskii
I am sorry you had a disappointing afternoon tea at the Beaulieu Hotel. This is not our usual level of service and I will ensure the general manager investigates your comments further. Thank you for your review.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Booked afternoon tea here and was shown to a lovely table in the garden. We were the only ones having tea.This is where the good review ends. The afternoon tea priced at £14.95 and consisted of a poor selection of sandwiches which were cut as triangles and fingers, were dry and not enough. 3 varieties of unimaginative cakes (finger of lemon drizzle, bake well tart and millionaire shortbread) sorry to say I could have bought these from a cheap bakery. Where's the meringues or dainty macaroons, Mille-feuille or mini eclairs? On a positive note the scones where lovely. The service was very poor and we had no top up of tea.The receptionist was very abrupt. I think staff need to visit other places in their local area so that they can improve the quality of their service and food. We will not be returning.

5 Thank Sara D
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I booked this hotel at the last minute and discovered what they do well, they do very well, however there are a couple of easy fixes.

Check in was quick and easy while extremely friendly.

The location and scenery can't be faulted.

The food and drink are of great quality with top draw service.

Room was scrupulously clean and well appointed.

There were only 2 real drawbacks and they really let it down for me

First the bed - it was so soft I really had issues.

Secondly the squeaky floorboards - I'm not unreasonable, it's an old building and you expect a few however the racket all evening from my floor and the floor above were horrendous. Please, employ a local carpenter to fix some down, it would make a massive issue to the sleep quality.

Room Tip: Top floor room to avoid the very load squeaky floorboards
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Arobajase
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Bed comfort is very difficult to get right for every guest, as everyone has different mattress requirements. If you decide to stay with us again, please mention you would prefer a firm bed and we will do our utmost to allocate you a room with the most suitable bed. The squeaky floorboards is as you say due to the age and character of the building. I will however ask our Maintenance Manager to investigate this problem. I am delighted that apart from these 2 issues you had an enjoyable stay at the Beaulieu Hotel and hope you will return for another visit in the future.
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Lovely setting in the new forest, although not quite in the middle of no-where. There are 2 car parks but for the hotel best going to the one to the left of the entrance, but avoid parking under the trees as the tree sap falls on your car!. We had a front facing room which was very spacious with great view out front. Bed very soft but still got good nights sleep. I think due to the age of the property there are a few creaky floorboard outside the room and you could hear people waking about, but i would say only a minor complaint. There is a decent menu for the hotel but we chose to eat next door at The Drift Inn, which I believe is owned by the hotel. The hotel/pub has an excellect beer garden with loads of benches should you want to dine/drink al fresco. Good childrens play area as well. The hotel has a small swimming pool and steam room. Would definately go back

Room Tip: ask for front facing room and away from the railway line
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaulieu
Montagu Arms Hotel
#3 of 7 in Lymington
Balmer Lawn
Balmer Lawn
#3 of 11 in Brockenhurst

Been to The Beaulieu Hotel? Share your experiences!