“Disappointed this time not their usual service”

The Master Builder's House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Beaulieu
Carshalton, Surrey
“Disappointed this time not their usual service”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Like John B disappointed on this visit (12th June) the barman clearly out of his depth in serving drinks and taking orders for food, a queue built up although other staff were available none appeared to want to help him out, after about a 20 minute wait our meals and drinks ordered we sat in anticipation having received excellent service the night before. Food arrived, unfortunately I had to return mine as I suffer from an onion allergy and had requested no onions on the plate, yep onions / coleslaw had been placed on my plate. I was disappointed as 2 minutes later my plate returned with the onions removed not ideal circumstance for my allergy, further disappointment 40 minutes later when what appeared to be a dry over cooked burger arrived, whereas the previous night I was totally delighted with the same choice as the burger was thick, juicy, well presented and so much care taken to leave onions of my plate. Seems service in the bar is very hit and miss and a little more understanding of food allergies needed in the kitchen.
Won't stop me visiting again though as I love the village and atmosphere in the Master Builders but will be a little more careful on menu choice and whether to order if they are busy. Restaurant manager was apologetic and offered free dessert or drink but honestly I just wanted to leave. Hopefully next time will be a better experience.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ThePresident1067
CliveWatts1, General Manager at The Master Builder's House Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for your review and our sincere apologies for not addressing the allergy. We hope you do come back so we can show you the standards that you have normally experienced.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

A lovely hotel in a lovely setting - almost idyllic as it overlooks Bucklers Hard.
We enjoyed our stay although the room was quite basic - but you do get what you pay for.
The restaurant is a really big disappointment. Young, presumably student, staff who don't understand or are able to explain the menu. A rather pretentious environment and a very, very rushed service - makes you wonder if the staff are on 'job and finish'. The food, well it looks good on the menu, but the taste and presentation is quite ordinary.
My advice - by ll means stay here for the location but do eat elsewhere..

3 Thank kgrob
CliveWatts1, General Manager at The Master Builder's House Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for your review and our apologies that your restaurant experience was not as good as it should have been.
godalming
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

The Master Builders is very understated and that is it charm.
It does not pretend to be modern, chic and with central London flamboyance
It is in a beautiful location with views overlooking the river and within the Buckler's Hard protected area.
The cuisine is excellent and the service five star with the gentlemen and young ladies attentive but not intrusive with wonderful smiles.
The Agamemnon room has a dual aspect with a perfect combination of the modern and the traditional furnishings and large bathroom.
The sunrise on the river from the room has to be enjoyed.
If you like classic, traditional, down to earth facilities with cuisine "punching above its expected weight" try this establishment.
Bucklers Hard, the museum, river trops, woodland walk and the river walk...if you can do the 40 minute walk to Beaulieu in less than 90 mins...I take my gat ofd to you!!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Geraldmm
Thank you for your review and I am very pleased you enjoyed the hotel and its' understatement. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Absolutely lovely setting and I would say this is what you are paying for. The bed was very comfy and of good quality. Sadly, rather overpriced as we stayed in a "luxury room" overlooking the river and felt that the en-suite needed refurbishing and I do hate those fixed shower heads and showers over the bath. The silicone needed attention and was black around the corners of the bath. I think the room would benefit from a full length wardrobe for long dresses too. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. We stayed in a B & B in Brockenhurst the previous night for less than half what we paid here and it was much superior to this. I also felt that not being allowed into our room until 3.00pm was rather silly seeing as we were there for a wedding which was to take place at 1.00pm. We couldnt stay the night before due to another wedding taking place!!

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here, then pick a cheaper room as £180.00 for one night was far too much for a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and your helpful comments on your bedroom. I am sorry that you could not check in before 3pm, but we do need the amount of time to get the bedrooms ready after the previous guests have left.
Torquay
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I booked a night at the Master Builder's for my boyfriends birthday present. We found the reception staff very friendly & helpful, our 'standard' room was very nice, the large bed made up as a king size, was two singles attached together, which was fab. The tea & coffee in our room was lovely, individually wrapped teabags (a very good make), filter coffee & a cafeteria, hot chocolate & beautiful biscuits. The little bottle of vodka went down a treat.
We ate in the pub on the evening, food was fab & bar staff friendly. Breakfast in the restaurant was amazing, lovely choice on the buffett table, followed by a cooked breakfast for him & muffins topped with smoked salmon, poached eggs & a hollandaise sauce for me, beautiful.
All in all, a fab night away & my boyfriend thought it was a wonderful present.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kelly G
Many thanks for your review and I am pleased that your boyfriend enjoyed his birthday treat.
Alton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a lovely hotel, full of character and history. The setting is spectacular and peaceful yet not remote. We had a very good size room in the main building with great views over the estuary. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and it was nice to have a traditional pub bar on site.

Room Tip: If you want character ask for a room in the main building.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review.
We are very fortunate with our location and I am pleased that you enjoyed the characterful side of the hotel.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here for a weekend in May and were blessed with gorgeous weather. On arrival we were shown to our room which was small but well furnished and with a lovely big bathroom. We had two dogs with us and they were welcomed, provided with beds, treats and bowls - they even had their own room service menu!! The hotel is in a lovely position and we didn't venture far afield over the weekend but enjoyed the Saturday morning market in Lymington, had a picnic at Buckler's Hard itself, went on a short boat trip and walked to Beaulieu twice, and had a lovely walk in the New Forest on Sunday morning. Didn't have time for a visit to the Buckler's Hard museum itself, which is a good excuse to go back!
We ate in the bar on both evenings. On the Friday I enquired what was in the fish pie, specifically about whether there we mussels in it - I was told 'no' but decided against ordering it - my husband did however, and low and behold his first forkful came up with a mussel. It is important to get this type of thing correct given shellfish allergies etc. On the second day I ordered a glass of Prosecco only to be served from a bottle that was at room temperature and not very fizzy - when I queried this I was offered ice. However, I persevered and it was replaced from a fresh bottle from the restaurant. This may seem a small point, but a glass of Prosecco is a treat and should be served properly. The restaurant staff at breakfast were very friendly and attentive. I think that a little more attention to these details could pay off, however if the occasion arises I would return. On the whole the food was good, not spectacular but not expensive either. I can't comment on the room prices as the weekend was a gift. Addressing the minor issues and I may well have given an 'excellent' rating.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and also for pointing out the suggestions for improvement. It is encouraging to think that you might have graded your experience as excellent and we constantly strive to achieve this level. I very much hope that you will return in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaulieu
Montagu Arms Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,569 reviews
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to The Master Builder's House Hotel? Share your experiences!