“Great food and very relaxing!”
Review of Montagu Arms Hotel

Montagu Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Beaulieu
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great food and very relaxing!”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I just love the Montague Arms Hotel! I just feel so relaxed in the surroundings! Right from the start when the restaurant manager recognised us from a previous hotel he had worked in to the rest of the staff and the lovely room and the delicious food, we are looking forward to another visit!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
West Chiltington
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We had a one night stay at the hotel coupled with an included tour of the Beaulieu estate and motor museum. Our stay was just as we had thought as we have stayed at this hotel many times before and will again. The evening meal was good but the duck course did not live up to my usual expectations of this hotel. It was a bit tough and not what we thought it was going to be. We love duck and would not recommend it to anyone who is used to having duck breast as a main course. This was, however, a small detail during our stay. I would also make sure that they have a 10yr old Armagnac as mine was substituted with a much more expensive version even though that was what I ordered. No movement on the price also!!!!

Room Tip: Our room was exceptional as it was two rooms in one. We stayed in Ash/Apple nos 3 and 4. We had a...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

I booked a Superior room to celebrate my wife's birthday. The choice of hotel was influenced by the Mitchelin star Terrace Restuarant which we dinned at and really enjoyed. The cost per night isnot cheap, so I was surprised when I learnt that breakfast was not included as I had booked via booking.com rather than direct. Something to keep in mind as they charge £19 pp for full English and £15 pp for continental! Our room didn't feel like it qualified for Superior status, worn curtains,drab carpets and decor, in fact many parts of the hotel looked as if they needed some money spent them. We have spent similar amounts elsewhere and experienced much better. Net result is that we wouldn't stay there again, although we would revisit the restuarant. Having said this, the hotel has plenty of character in the lovely setting of Beaulieu.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Wareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Wanted a really nice meal & overnight stay for my husbands special birthday, having read comments on other Michelin star restaurants this seemed the perfect place & we were not disappointed. We had booked for Saturday lunch & arrived to be greeted like old friends, a wonderful warm welcome. We had champagne whilst choosing our meals & then moved into the Terrace Restaurant to eat. The setting was friendly & comfortable, overlooking the lovely garden, We were guided by the very experienced sommelier who helped us chose the perfect wine for our meal. The staff served us beautifully with no time pressures just a wonderful relaxed meal which was delicious beyond expectation. After staggering to our (surprisingly upgraded) room we found a welcome card & indeed even a birthday card for my husband, what a thoughtful touch. Our room was excellent again overlooking the gardens which had a lovely warming fire pit lit in the evening. We had a huge comfortable bed, large bathroom & comfortable furniture - I could easily have moved in. Monty's Inn provided evening sustenance & again food well worth trying if you have any room! A very comfortable nights sleep & a huge breakfast in The Terrace - I defy anyone to leave here hungry, locally sourced meats and even the eggs came from their own chickens. Without exception all the staff were friendly & helpful, this hotel is not pretentious just gives proper old fashioned good quality & professionalism in every detail. We felt very at home here & on leaving were given a loyalty card & bottles of water & apples for our onward journey - they quite simply thought of everything & this attention to detail means we would not only recommend it but will stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Bromsgrove, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

The Montague Arms exceeded all my expectations and would strongly recommend visiting this exceptionally amazing hotel ..its ambience has all the captivation of traditional charm with a very beguiling appeal to the discerning person seeking understated elegance and ageless character...
We found the staff incredibly accommodating...and the restaurant and cuisine excellent ....a truly
wonderful experience....

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here in November and we would definitely return. The staff were extremely professional and friendly and the room was brilliant! Especially the enormous double bed! We ate at the terrace restaurant on the Saturday night and I would definitely recommend the chefs special 7 course meal! It's definitely one of the best meals I've ever had! Location is good and Brockenhurst is only a ten minute drive away

• Stayed November 2013
Milford on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

I decided to take my fiancée to a Michelin starred restaurant for her birthday and since the terrace restaurant at the montagu arms was closest I booked it. How wonderful it has been. Superb three course lunch that could not be faulted in any way. The setting is gorgeous though some may say outdated I would say elegant with very friendly unobtrusive staff. It has been a truly delightful experience.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaulieu
Cottage Lodge Hotel
#3 of 11 in Brockenhurst
The Beaulieu Hotel
The Beaulieu Hotel
#2 of 3 in Beaulieu

Been to Montagu Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!