“Exeptional Food!!! Room a huge dissapointment though”
Review of Montagu Arms Hotel

Montagu Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Beaulieu
London
“Exeptional Food!!! Room a huge dissapointment though”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This hotel is very difficult for me to rate beause, on the one hand, it is one of the best meals I have ever eaten anywhere! And we eat in many Michelin starred restaurants around the world. In fact, it was faultless in my opinion, totally deserving its Michelin rating. The dining room is lovely too, and the service perfect. We look forward to eating there again very soon. However, we were on a one-night BBD package, which wasn't bad value (considering it included the wonderful dinner) but the room was well below what I would have expected. Although we had booked a four poster room, it was small, dark and a bit dingy and there were damp marks on the ceiling as well as wall paper bubbling up and coming away in one corner. The bathroom was very clean and modern though. The mattress was on the thin side as were the pillows so it was hard to get comfortable. Also, the room faced the road which is surprisingly busy and very noisy from about 5am. I was still awake at that time, as my sleep had been disturbed an hour or so earlier by what sounded like dripping water..possibly coming from a water tank in the attic? It was loud anyway. Quite a few of the other room's doors were open on that day so we had a peek in about half a dozen of them and came to the conclusion that ours, on the very top floor of the building, and up several sets of stairs, made us feel like we were the 'poor relations' hidden away in the attic. Such a shame. The other rooms we saw looked very nice, bright and homely. I can only advise that, when booking the BBD package that it might be wise to book the most upgraded room you can afford (not facing the road) to avoid being consigned to the garrett like we were! I would recommend the restaurant without question...but I would suggest that you might want to do some research on your room if you decide to stay there.

Room Tip: Don't have a room facing the road (noisy)....or the top floor (small). Upgrade as much as possib...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JackieBLondon
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your time to write your review of your recent stay airing both your likes and dislikes. I am especially thrilled to hear that with your wealth of Michelin Star Dining your feedback of our Terrace Restaurant is so highly rated.
We have various different room types and suites which are aimed to suit personal requirements/ budgets so the bedroom sizes/types vary.
However a quick peep at our bedroom gallery online shows that each and every one of our bedrooms (all en suite) have an individual unique charm about them. In fact your particular bedroom which has good feedback from our guests is shown in one of the traveller photos above. I am very sorry that you did not find it to your personal taste and also to read that your stay was somewhat marred because you found your bedroom to be noisy. We have an ongoing annual maintenance programme which is fully underway now at the hotel to refresh and update all the bedrooms which have not yet been updated. We do have double glazing in some of our bedrooms but I take your comments on board and will certainly look into further.
I was able to identify your bedroom by your description but unfortunately I have not been able to identify when you stayed with us and so I am not able to contact you.
With this in mind please could I request that at your convenience you either give me a call or alternatively send me an email to sunil@montaguarmshotel.co.uk with your contact details so that I can be in touch with you and this will also give me the opportunity to make a note on our reservations system so that the reservations team are aware of your personal preferences.
I sincerely look forward to hearing from you.

Sunil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here midweek for one night and the whole experience was excellent. The hotel is 17th century and has the feeling of a luxurious county house. The decor, soft furnishings and antiques all add to the ambience and on a cold wet day, the log fires are very welcoming. Beaulieu is a very pretty village and when we arrive there were 3 donkeys wandering past the entrance! Our room was beautiful and spacious with a separate sitting room and the bathroom was very well appointed with a huge bath and a separate shower. We had fresh fruit in our room and a box of locally made chocolate.
We had the tasting menu in the Terrace Restaurant and this was exceptional. This was one of the best meals I have ever had and should not be missed. This is a Michelin starred restaurant and it shows. The Head Chef Matthew Tomkinson is to be commended along with the restaurant manager Pierre Mosser who made us so welcome. My husband does not like cheese and was offered a alternative course when I had the cheese course. It is this attention to detail that raises the experience above what you would normally expect to receive.

The breakfast on Thursday morning was also very good, using locally sourced products and eggs from their own chickens.

If you get the opportunity to visit, do not miss it. It is the complete package with a beautiful hotel and the most amazing restaurant!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sue G
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Guest,
Such a lovely review and with an amazing 5 star rating…..thank you.
I am always so very appreciative of the time and effort taken by our guests to enter these Trip Advisor Reviews which in the process helps me to ensure our guests have left us happy. Alternatively to know of any shortfalls so that they can be addressed and put right as soon as possible. I am very pleased that the donkeys were around to meet and greet you upon your arrival! Sights such as these are priceless and very much a part and parcel staying at the hotel and of village life here. With the many different room types we have available I am delighted to hear that you were very happy with your particular bedroom.
Matthew and Pierre would both like to extend their personal thanks to you for your superb feedback of your whole dining experience in our Michelin Star Restaurant.
Our seven course surprise tasting menu can be enjoyed with or without matching wines and is something truly not to be missed. Matthew personally puts in immense thought and effort when creating all his menus taking full advantage of the abundance of high quality, seasonal local produce available on our doorstep. As well as keeping our own chickens our kitchen garden produces a variety of seasonal vegetables and herbs, which are picked and used daily.
I sincerely hope you will both be able to return in the not too distant future and maybe even stay a little longer. There really is so much to see and do if your time permits or to simply enjoy the tranquillity of this beautiful area.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights in the four poster suite at the Montague arms hotel during January 2014. The room was fantastic with a separate lounge area and comfortable four poster bed. The bathroom was adequate though a little tired. Gym/spa facilities are available in a nearby hotel free of charge (would recommend upgrading to access additional sauna rooms etc). We dinned at Monty's inn on the first evening (gastro pub) and in the terrace restaurant on the next two nights (Michelin starred fine dinning). The food was excellent and the staff were amazing (very tolerant of my partner who likes to talk food). A thoroughly relaxing and enjoyable stay!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank JennyPennyCrayon
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Your review was an absolute pleasure to read and a big thank you for your very generous 5 Star rating of us. I am so pleased to hear that during your relaxing stay you were able to make full use of our Spa Facilities located at our Sister Hotel Careys Manor. This short scenic journey through the very heart of the New Forest to reach the Spa is always beautiful with the ever changing seasons and colours of the Forest.
However, I am sorry to read that you found your bathroom to be a little tired. Just to let you know that our 2014 Maintenance Programme is now in full swing with any bathrooms in need of some TLC high on the list.
I am especially thrilled to read your very valued opinion of our very dedicated staff here and as always whether good or bad I pass all comments onto my team. I strongly believe in looking after them as this will in turn ensure the team look after our very valued guests like yourselves.
Whether our guests dining preference is ‘Michelin Star’ or Monty’s less formal style cuisine the emphasis with both options is to use locally sourced/seasonal produce and I am delighted that you enjoyed both our dining options.
I sincerely hope to Welcome you back as soon as your time permits.
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

My husband booked bed, breakfast and dinner un Michelin star restaurant as my Christmas/wedding anniversary present.
We arrived early at the hotel and luckily our room was ready for us.

The room was beautiful with a four poster bed and the bathroom was very nice with great shower.

We had drinks in the lounge before dinner and found the staff very friendly and professional at all times!!

I had a stunning dinner...
Starter.. I had scallops with cauliflower puree and truffles. Andrew had confit rabbit & black pudding with liver parfait
Main.. We both had rose veal and garlic gnocci with confit lemon
Pudding.. Orange souffle with Szechuan spiced chocolate ice cream!!!!

One word is needed.... HEAVENLY!!!

The next day the front of house staff was very helpful including charging my phone up!

I would definitely recommend

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lianne P
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for this superb review and I am so delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your present. Our Hotel Gift Vouchers are indeed proving to be very popular and can be designed with your own special message in mind. Many are bought for an overnight stay whilst a delicious afternoon tea gift voucher is equally as popular. It’s the perfect way to show someone you care with the many options to buy available on our website.
Head Chef – Matthew Tomkinson would like to extend his personal thanks for your superb feedback about the food and for describing the dishes which you so enjoyed. Matthew likes to make full use of his larder (the New Forest) with its’ abundance of the highest quality New Forest local producers on our doorstep and frequently makes menu changes to reflect the availability of local organic seasonal produce.
Your very kind comments about our loyal and dedicated staff here is very much appreciated and mirrors everything which working together we try to achieve. Without very valued feedback of this kind it would be impossible for the team and I to run a successful hotel.
Thank you for recommending us to others and please come back soon.
Marlborough
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Stayed with a party of friends for a couple of nights and eat both in the pub and the restaurant on each night. So will split this into three bits.

The hotel itself is charming and well kept. The staff on the whole are well drilled however the standard rooms are very small so beware.
The pub is served from the same kitchen as the restaurant and it shows. Great bistro fair very well presented and priced served with a smile. Excellent overall and great value The restaurant. I have to be fair and say the food was up to a reasonable standard. Not great but competent and I have had better in several one star establishments. What was lacking on the night was service. No sommelier, dishes delivered with no explanations and lacking generally.

Now by chance my wife when leaving and packing the car (Car brought around – brownie points here) got into conversation with the manager. He took her comments on the chin apologised on the spot and said he would investigate her comments and write to her. How many times have we all heard that.

However a few days later a letter duly arrived apologising and making a very fair and quite unexpected offer of recompense based on us returning. Now sometimes we all like to moan on here however this needs the reverse. Sometimes things in life and in business just don’t go as we would like. They admitted it and got on with putting it right. Well done to the manager and the hotel. So actually I have marked them up a bit and they deserve it. Will report next time. (and there now will be) I visit.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are very small so upgrade if possible if this is a concern
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank BatmanMarlborough
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments about our lovely 17th Century Country House Hotel and for taking the trouble to write your review of your recent stay with both your likes and dislikes. Our 22 luxurious bedrooms and suites are aimed to suit personal requirements/ budgets so the bedroom sizes/types vary immensely. However a quick peep at our bedroom gallery online shows that each and every one of our bedrooms (all en suite) have an individual unique charm about them.
Whilst our Monty’s Inn dining is a much less formal affair our aim is to make it every bit as memorable as our Michelin Star Terrace Restaurant Dining and whichever is your preference our dedicated team always deliver service with a naturally warm and welcoming smile. I am always very appreciative of feedback from our guests whether positive or negative as this ensures any shortfalls which come to light are addressed immediately. I would never try to deny getting it wrong sometimes but Welcome the opportunity to put it right! I am delighted to hear that after reading my follow up letter concerning your disappointment you will return and I sincerely look forward to Welcoming you back.
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We stayed here for two nights in January 2014 on a DBB rate, as a birthday present for my wife.

The restaurant is excellent across the board; the additional supplement for DBB over BB is definitely worth it. Restaurant service is exemplary and friendly without being intrusive.

Hotel service is generally very good. However, the hotel itself is tired, and needs serious attention decoratively - there aren't many (any?) surfaces that aren't chipped to the wood. We paid for a "superior" room - this was not up to the standard expected for the substantial price. The aforementioned chipped paint, some failing wallpaper in the bathroom, and stained net curtains did not impress.

On the Saturday night we suffered from loud noise in our room - music, shouting, chair scraping - until about 2330, not ideal when trying to sleep. This abated when we rang reception, though recurred the following night until about 2230.

Most upsetting, however, was the disingenuous response from the duty manager "What noise, sir? We've never had any complaints before." Certainly impossible to believe, given our room was directly above the hotel's attached public bar. We were not offered a change of room, despite low occupancy of the hotel on the second night.

A decidedly mixed experience. Excellent food, and overall great service, spoiled by a lack of polish and a single unimpressive staff member. Insist on a quiet room away from the public bar.

Room Tip: Insist on a quiet room away from the public bar, ideally by the garden.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HampshireConsult
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback both positive and negative.
I hope by now you are in receipt of my letter. Again I would like to say how much I appreciate the time you have taken to air your disappointments which are always taken very seriously and in the process helps me to continually improve on our standards and service.
I sincerely look forward to Welcoming you back as soon as your time permits.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We ate in the 'Terrace' restaurant on a wet and cold Tuesday evening in January. What an absolute delight. From the moment we arrived (in the wrong part of the hotel!) the staff were very helpful and attentive without being overly fussy.
The menu was stunning and the actual dishes we chose were delicious. My daughter was dubious about eating here - her preferred eating habits are usually fairly simple. She announced half-way through her main course that this was possibly the best meal she had ever eaten!
The food choices were varied, beautifully presented, a wonderful taste experience and the unobtrusive and knowledgeable staff were the icing on the cake
The 'Terrace' provides a delightfully calm, atmospheric ambience. This was a special treat and one which we are sure to repeat. Thank you everyone!
I would recommend this without hesitation. Pricey - especially the drinks - but worth every pound.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Judith W
SunilKanjanghat, Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing our Michelin Star Terrace Restaurant at the Montagu Arms Hotel for your ‘Special Treat’ and for your subsequent time to review us on Trip Advisor. There is no doubt that your thoughtful and very valued feedback mirrors the visions and values which we strive to achieve. The dedicated team here are trained to deliver a very personal, warm and friendly but unobtrusive service to our guests. How fantastic to hear that this is being achieved.
Head Chef – Matthew Tomkinson puts immense thought and effort into personally preparing and producing locally sourced seasonal produce. Matthew’s philosophy is to create fresh, beautifully cooked simple foods and I am thrilled to hear that this was thoroughly enjoyed by all and appealed to your daughter.
Also I am so overjoyed to hear that you were able to relax and soak up the charm and ambience of our cosy home from home with its roaring log fires on such a dreary January evening. I have passed on your thanks to everyone.
I look forward to Welcoming you all back again soon and thank you so very much for recommending us to others.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaulieu
Cottage Lodge Hotel
#3 of 11 in Brockenhurst
The Beaulieu Hotel
The Beaulieu Hotel
#2 of 3 in Beaulieu

Been to Montagu Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!