“Perfect”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Beaulieu
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

My husband and I had our wedding reception at The Montagu Arms in December and have visited the hotel for dinner/lunch on occasion.
It really is a very special place, it's very old school but is charming and grand in equal measure. Although a few of the bedrooms could use a refurb, the suites are stunning and spacious. The food is flawless, really can't praise it enough, we are still receiving comments 3 months on from the wedding from guests raving about the amazing wedding breakfast!
Lunch is very reasonable too.
The other thing that I cannot speak highly enough of are the staff, they are professional to the highest degree, polite, friendly and always provide a warm welcome. Nothing is too much trouble.
All in all we love this hotel, I really hope they don't ever change and try to 'modernise'.
It has an 'old world' charm that I haven't experienced anywhere else. They made our wedding day absolutely unforgettable, Clara in particular helped us immensely. I would highly recommend this hotel for your special day if you are considering venues but I would also recommend the hotel for dinner/lunch or an overnight stay any day of the week.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jasper7719
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Dear Guest,

As I have said many times before………….I never under estimate the time and effort taken by our guests to enter a review on Trip Advisor and I would like to thank you so very much for your review with our fantastic five star rating……thank you.

A special thank you too for choosing our vintage wedding venue for your Special Day where our aim together with Clara’s meticulous planning is to make sure your Special Day is a day of unforgettable memories in an idyllic setting. I will be sure to pass on your lovely comments to Clara and the dedicated team.

I am thrilled to read your very valued opinion of our exceptional standards of service which are offered by the team in such a naturally warm, friendly and welcoming way. This mirrors the visions and values which we strive to achieve.

Please rest assured that we have absolutely no intention of making any changes which are not within the keeping and tradition of our beautiful 17th Century Country House Hotel. Our ongoing annual maintenance/refurbishment programme is concrete evidence that we like us the way we are too and wouldn’t change a thing!

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments.

Sunil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Wimborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

this place is just beautiful, we went for a celebratory afternoon tea and it was just amazing. This is how it should be done. Lovely old fashioned service. Lovely building. Great tea. Lets hope this hotel resists the ridiculous need to 'modernise' and turn into a boutique hotel. Just goes to prove independent hotels are the best indeed. Point to note, the chef knows what he is doing..the scones didn't taste of bicarb. Always a plus in my book and clearly they were not microwaved, another plus point. Long may it continue in its beautiful, stately fashion. We will return

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Mr sincere thanks to you for taking the time not only to enter your review but in the process sharing your experience with others and for our 5 Star Rating!

Thank you for choosing the Montagu Arms Hotel as your venue for your celebratory afternoon tea and I am delighted to hear how much this occasion was enjoyed.

As you may be aware in 2013 we were awarded one of the ‘Tea Guilds Special Awards of Excellence’ in recognition of our outstanding quality and consistently high standards in tea service.

Since having been presented with this award our afternoon teas have gone from strength to strength. In fact an afternoon tea gift voucher is proving to be a very popular request which can be taylor made with the wording of your choice and superbly presented in their own presentation folder.

Without any delay I have already passed on your lovely comments concerning your afternoon tea both to Head Chef Matthew-Tomkinson and Restaurant Manager – Pierre Rizet Moser.

We have an ongoing annual maintenance programme which the Maintenance Team undertake keeping rigorously to the tradition of this Charming 17th Century Country House Hotel. I hope you were able to see evidence of this in our Magnolia Lounge and Oakwood Room which have both recently been newly refurbished.

With this in mind in we have even displayed some very old photographs around the hotel which date back to the 1920s for our guests to see that there have not been many changes at all to the Montagu Arms Hotel in almost a century.

Again thank you for your review.

portmsouth uk
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed one night this Saturday just gone, dinner bed and breakfast. The location is great, everything that makes the new forest so relaxing is on the doorstep. Reception was excellent did not catch his name but the young chap was very helpful every time we spoke to him even got some apples for us so we could feed the donkeys / horses roaming on the common land. He also returned a cufflink I had dropped - first class thank you.

The room was ok if a little tired and just about big enough, large bed - two singles together with noticeable joins, separate shower / toilet room, bathroom with double sink.

The garden is lovely and the restaurant looks out on to it.

Good parking

Breakfast was very good only gripe would be the coffee (filter) is not great.

We were booked for dinner in the "Michelin" restaurant for 9. We had asked for an earlier table as that's a bit late for us , FairPlay we were offered 7 or 6:30 but that's a bit early having booked late I take that on the chin. They were busy - mothering weekend I guess but we were not shown to our table until after 9:30 which was far too late for us, there was a brief sorry for the delay we are busy, that must have been a shock for them given all the tables were booked! Does it hurt to say there will be a delay when we first arrived at the restaurant, we had the table by where they co-ordinate service so constant staff passing by, we had a wobbly table raised twice with staff " we will do something about that" - too busy - so had to ask a third time before sorted, as we walked in the waiter told us it's very hot as it's busy and like the rest of the hotel yes it was.

This is a nice hotel and I would stay again just some easy basics on service from the restaurant staff would have made it special but then again those basics were missed so it was not.

1 Thank itspog
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to enter a review of your recent stay with us on
Trip Advisor.

Your kind comments concerning Christopher – Head of Reception have been very greatly received and Christopher would like me to personally thank you on his behalf for his special mention.

We are indeed so very fortunate to be located in such amazing surroundings with the New Forest National Park on our doorstep and the ever changing beauty it has to offer.

However, I must sincerely apologise for the fact that we have totally failed with our usual high standards of customer service and care by not keeping you well informed of the unforeseen restaurant service delay on the night you dined with us.

I am also sorry for the delay with my response to your review which is purely down to the fact that I wanted to investigate the points which you have kindly taken the time to raise.

With this in mind I feel I that I have now fully addressed the matter with Pierre the Restaurant Manager to establish exactly how and why this happened. In turn Pierre has spoken to his team and going forwards assured me that this type of lapse in service will not be repeated.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review, airing both your likes and disappointments which helps me to continually improve what we do, ensuring any such shortfalls are dealt with.

I sincerely look forward to having the pleasure to Welcome you both back to the Montagu Arms Hotel and the Terrace Restaurant as soon as your time permits you to return.

with kind regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Lovely room, full of character and very clean. Very good service throughout the hotel. Breakfast was ok, we had to wait 30 minutes to order due to something going on in the kitchen and were not informed of this until we asked to order...after 30 minutes! My order came out wrong but was rectified quickly, however there was no apology regarding this which I believe there should have been given how long we had waited by this point. The cooked breakfast was nice but nothing to rave about. There is an air of pretentiousness in the hotel, which some may like - however we personally did not. Beaulieu is a beautiful place and we especially loved the donkeys roaming around!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review with your very valued feedback sharing both your likes and disappointments.

As per recently reviewed by one of our regular guests on Trip Advisor our New Forest Marque Breakfasts usually receive incredibly good feedback.

The emphasis and aim without any element of doubt is to deliver a very high standard, local produce and high quality breakfast. I am sorry that this was not to your personal taste.

I would very much like to have the opportunity to understand in more detail about your disappointments.

With this in mind please could I request that you send me an email sunil@montaguarmshotel.co.uk with your contact details and a convenient time for me to get in touch with you.

Whether good or bad, feedback is very important to us as in the process any shortfalls come to light and can be addressed….thank you again for yours and I look forward to hearing from you.

Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We chose the Montagu Arms for our wedding in November and could not have been happier! The staff were amazing throughout the entire experience and the day went so smoothly. The food and atmosphere were perfect and the guests were blown away! Thank you to all the people that helped make the day as special as it was and we will definitely be coming back!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Guest,

It really was an absolute pleasure to host your very Special Day here and your review with our 5 star rating is fantastic….thank you.

Our aim from the moment a Wedding is booked through the Montagu Arms Hotel is to offer first class Service through the meticulous planning leading up to and including your Big Day, leaving you to relax and not worry. I am absolutely thrilled to hear that your day was memorable and special in every way.

I will be sure to pass on your lovely comments to Clara and the dedicated team.

Ashtead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We have just spent a most fantastic week-end at Beaulieu in The New Forest staying at The Montagu Arms Hotel. What a most pleasurable and unique experience place it remains - the staff are a major asset of the hotel - so professional, well trained and helpful and clearly like their jobs and enjoy serving the customers - what a breath of fresh air in this day where service industries often 'cut corners'! The Terrace Restaurant was everything and more that a Michelin star restaurant should be - even the breakfast was exceptional. DS

Room Tip: You might get an upgrade but the front of the hotel can be noisier than the back - all the rooms ar...
1 Thank David S
Dear Guest,

Your review and 5 star rating is superb ….thank you.

We have a very dedicated and loyal team at the hotel that genuinely do enjoy their jobs which is truly reflected in their high standards of customer care. It is my firm belief that if the Managers and I look after the team they in turn will look after our very valued guests like yourselves.

I am truly delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your whole dining experience.

These lovely comments have already been passed onto Head Chef – Matthew Tomkinson and Restaurant Manager – Pierre Rizet-Moser.

I sincerely hope to Welcome you back for another memorable visit as soon as your time permits.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

My "New" Husband and I would like to thank ALL at The Montague Arms for their dedication and hard work that went into our Magical Wedding Day. From beginning to end Clara and her team provided exceptional service, nothing was too much trouble and staff were forever at the ready to deal with any request and sometimes acting upon things with out even being asked.
Clara is a friendly, welcoming wedding planner who never made me feel worried and put me at ease all the time. The experience of planning our wedding at The Montague Arms was a delight, being made to feel welcome at every visit and being made to feel special happens from the moment you walk through the doors. The food was divine, having the handmade, locally sourced touch made the attention to detail even more profound.
We wanted an intimate wedding, tailor made to our specification and that is what we got. Clara and the whole team are a talented bunch of individuals and a true credit to the Manager and Owner of The Montague Arms.
We had 8 rooms booked at the Hotel and everyone of our guests commented on the high standard and quality of the rooms and the standard of breakfast offered, it really did excel all of our expectations.
We can not wait to stay again and enjoy the beautiful gardens (which are beautiful ALL year round) the food, surrounding country side, The New Forest is on the doorstep, literally....complete with wild horses and donkeys who come to visit.
We can not thank them all enough for what was a magical, romantic and perfect wedding xx

Room Tip: All the rooms are individual, decorated in different ways. Booking for a wedding ask to see a select...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Guest,

It was an absolute pleasure to host your very Special Day here and your review with our 5 star rating is superb….thank you.

Clara has asked me to pass on her personal thanks for the special mention of her name in your review.

Everything you have said in your feedback is exactly what we strive to achieve when a wedding is booked with us and how fantastic to hear that your memories of your wedding day are truly magical.

Our Intimate Wedding Package is just one of the options we can proudly offer couples who choose to tie the knot here at our unique luxurious wedding venue, with Michelin Star dining to add to the whole momentous occasion.

The dedication of Clara and the team ensure that from the moment your wedding is booked that your hopes and dreams of your Special Day are everything you could wish for and more.

I am thrilled that we met and even exceeded your expectations.

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments.

Sunil
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaulieu
Cottage Lodge Hotel
#2 of 3 in Beaulieu
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in New Milton

Been to Montagu Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!