“Charmingly Delightful Afternoon Tea” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Montagu Arms Hotel

Montagu Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Beaulieu
Ringwood, United Kingdom
“Charmingly Delightful Afternoon Tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

Spent a lovely afternoon with friends having Afternoon Tea as the result of winning this at a localBusiness event.
We arrived and parked in the top car park enabling us to walk through the well manicured Gardens into the Hotel, it was a little windy and overcast otherwise we would have had Tea outside.
Very comfortably seated by what would be In kthe winter a magnificent log fire, the table was set for the four of us and the seats extremely comfortable although sometimes a bit difficult to reach the table from their comfort!

Service was impeccable, we were given theMenu and had to choose which loose Tea we would like, it was then explained that the Sandwiches and cakes would come first ,the scones which freshly cooked to be kept warm would be served later with some more fresh Tea. We were then given a little 'taster' of Panacotta with peach preserve which was in a shot glass and tasted lovely and refreshing a nice touch we thought.

Sandwiches arrived were deliciously fresh, Ham and Mustard, Egg and Cress, Smoked Salmon and Cucumber, served on both white and brown finger sliced bread. cakes were a Marshmallow white chocolate cake, a chocolate eclair and the most delicious lemon tart I have ever tasted!

As promised more Fresh Tea also arrived with the fruit and plain scones, black currant preserve and clotted cream. Service again was top notch, we asked for extra clotted cream which was not not a problem. Overall can thoroughly recommend this Hotel. It was a popular place too with guests arriving and more people coming for tea all seemed to be enjoying the treats!

Room Tip: As this was a visit to the hotel for Tea not applicable
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank franb941
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Congratulations on winning a voucher for afternoon tea at the Montagu Arms Hotel and for sharing your experience with others by taking the time to write this absolutely superb 5 Star rated review!

Since being awarded one of the very prestigious ‘Tea Guild’s Special Awards of Excellence’ we really have gone from strength to strength with our afternoon teas.

I am very proud indeed to boast about our Special Award and this truly beautiful setting we have here for our guests to enjoy every moment of their special celebration or to just pop in for a cuppa!

Your feedback of our standards of service by our very dedicated team mirrors everything which we hope to achieve and how fantastic to hear that this is the case.

Don’t forget that if you are ever stuck for a special gift, our afternoon tea gift vouchers are another fantastic way of sharing your experience. They are created with your specific and personal wording, then presented in a lovely presentation folder.

I hope you will return soon.

Sunil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

We called at the Montagu Arms for coffee to escape the wet weather and because my wife had dinner there with her late parents when she graduated from Southampton some years ago. The place is very attractive, set in gardens which were beautiful even in the rain. We sat in a lovely conservatory and had our coffee order taken by a very pleasant young Frenchman. However, a second young man who brought our coffee (and biscuits, a nice touch) was very surly, made no eye contact and virtually threw our drinks at us. A pity that he felt the need to let himself and the Montagu down through such poor service.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank garybons
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit and I am delighted to say that the young Frenchman who took your coffee order was our Restaurant Manager – Pierre.

However, I am very disappointed indeed to hear that on this occasion you were served your coffee in such an unacceptable manner which is certainly not to the high standards of customer service and care which we pride ourselves upon.

Please be assured that Pierre has identified this member of his team and personally dealt with the person concerned, who I must just inform you was casual member of staff helping out.

I am sorry for your poor experience and hope that this one let down which has been dealt with will not deter you from coming back.

I’m really pleased everything else was enjoyed.

west sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I have visited this hotel before and it was wonderful so it is always difficult to go back in case the experience does not match the first. Not only was it exceptional but surpassed my expectations in every way. The hotel is extremely well run, the management team and staff are friendly, attentive, nothing is too much trouble, the rooms are lovely, well appointed, clean, quiet, beautiful surroundings and the food, well, absolutely sublime. Matthew is a truly talented and amazing chef, and we dine out in fine dining restaurants regularly but this truly exceeded any food I have ever tasted and made for a special and very memorable time. I cannot thank the management team, and every member of staff, and especially Matthew, for making the experience magical.

1 Thank bandsaw
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Guest, It was great to have the pleasure to welcome you back again and your 5 star rated review really is very much appreciated. Each and every one of the Managers (myself included) cannot thank you enough for this truly amazing review which is so motivating for all the team to read. I am especially thrilled to hear that with your wealth of Michelin Star Dining your feedback of our Terrace Restaurant is so very highly rated. I hope you will return again soon for the next of many more visits.
New Forest, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

We had private dinning with friends at the Montagu Arms Hotel and had a great time; the service and attention we were given was excellent. Every detail of the evening was well planned and the food was superb. The staff made us feel so welcome that I wouldn't hesitate in coming back again. The hotel had a lot of character and was very welcoming, it was just like having your own Manor House!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Mananger at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Mala, Thank you very much for your 5 star rated review of your recent private dining experience with us and for taking the time to mention the excellent high standards of service which you received. I have passed these lovely comments and your superb feedback about the food to the Restaurant Manager–Pierre and Head Chef–Matthew respectively. It really is such a pleasure to look after local people like yourselves who choose us for their special celebration or to simply just get together and relax with friends.

Hampshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Okay, so let me first say that i live 10 minuets away from this hotel, so i have known about it for longer than i care to mention. We had a friends party at a nearby hotel and decided to treat ourselves to a night away at the Montagu Arms. The room was amazing, the staff and service were amazing. It is expensive and parts of the hotel do look a bit dated but that is what helps gives this hotel its character, and i am sure in time these small touches will get improved.

The breakfast in the morning again was amazing, all freshly made and locally sourced, probably the best full english i have ever had. I stay away a lot for business and normally stay well clear of a full breakfast. This was certainly not an option here, top marks to the chef.

So, what was my issue, and i am saying this just so other guests who find themselves in a similar scenario can at least be prepared for it.

We had a party we had to get to for about 7:30-8pm, there would be some buffet food later in the evening but nothing major as it was quite a small private party. So our plan was to arrive at the hotel about 4:30pm have some food, get ready and go out.

We arrived at the hotel and as expected the Michelin star restaurant was not open for service until around 7pm (which was absolutely fine because it was never our intention to eat there). the hotel dose have a pub/bar attached to it that as far as i know is part of the hotel (montys) so we thought great sorted ourselves out and headed to the bar for a quick drink and some bar food. Well that was the issue the bar was also not serving food until the same time as the restaurant. Unless of course you count bags of crisps.

Now come 5pm everything in Beaulieu shuts, as a very small village there is not a great deal there anyway for food. So we were left with no option. it was like being in the olden days where pubs would only serve from 12-3 and 7-9pm.

we asked the bar staff what they would do and were told nothing (even thou the chefs were in the kitchen). Note also that there was no option to order room service food. Now my wife ended up storming out as she was livid with the attitude. I decided to stay and finish my pint, and after some very very lengthly conversations with the bar manager i managed to get a ham sandwich. So at least we had something to eat.

so a word of advice if you are staying at this hotel, and not planning to dine in the restaurant, you should ensure that you make a provision for eating, because between 3pm-7pm there is nothing on offer.

This stay was in December, it is now May, and it still annoys me! In a place like Beaulieu i do not understand the business sense in not serving bar food all day, this is common now, i think they need to bring their timings up to date, if would be great for business.

Moan over, this is a great hotel, i hope this review dose not put you off staying as it is not the intention but just making you aware of what i feel is something that could have quite an impact on your stay if you are not prepared.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank StuMillsHampshire_UK
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your very valued feedback in this review and as with all feedback whether positive or negative it is important that you tell us so that we can put right anything which needs correcting.

I am delighted to read your very positive comments over your bedroom, our very loyal staff and our standards of service. This really is very much appreciated.

With our on going maintenance programme we are constantly striving to give some TLC to those areas which are in need of some attention by our maintenance team.

I have already passed on your kind comments to Chef about how much your enjoyed your New Forest Marque Breakfast.

I would now like to take the time to apologise, explain and respond to your disappointment over the issue which you have raised concerning the fact that you could not be served any food before you went out for the evening.

As you have already mentioned, Beaulieu is a small quiet New Forest Village and like the Montagu Arms Hotel relies on visitors and tourists alike to the area for its trade.

With this in mind in low season our opening hours are planned accordingly as it simply does not justify being open between lunch and dinner service. Whilst during high season (summer months) Monty’s is open all day for snacks and sandwiches.

Having said all this I am really sorry that you were not aware of the Guest Information Folder in your bedroom with our room service menu inside, as sandwiches can be ordered from this menu by our residents 24 hours a day 7 days a week regardless of the season.

It is also not an uncommon sight to see a member of the restaurant team cooking some fries to accompany the guests’ sandwich order if the kitchen fryers are still hot from service.

If you should ever encounter any disappointments during any future stays please raise your concerns to the Duty Manager at the time who I can assure you will go that extra mile for the guests to ensure their stay is as enjoyable as possible.

I would like to personally thank you for your time to bring your disappointments to my attention and at the same time express how very sorry I am that your experience was somewhat marred by the above.

I am grateful that the object was not to put others off coming to stay with us (as you have kindly mentioned this fact in your review).

Also and very importantly I am delighted that your disappointments do not appear to have deterred you from returning again too.

I sincerely hope to have the pleasure to Welcome you back soon.

Pembrokeshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

My wife and I were due to stay in April to celebrate our wedding anniversary, but had to postpone until May because of ill health. When we attended in May we were once again treated like royalty. We have stayed at the Montagu Arms Hotel on and off for a good number of years and it has never failed to impress.

Every part of our visit, from the beautiful room, which was made all the more special by a thoughtful wedding anniversary gift, balloon and card, to the exquisite food created by inspired chef Matthew Tomkinson and served by a dedicated staff, was sublime. It is easy to understand how the hotel has received so many of the highest awards for both food and service!

Our sincere thanks and best wishes to Restaurant Manager, Pierre, and Bar Manager, Paul, who looked after our every need so well; they are a true credit to the Resident Manager, Sunil, and to the Montagu Arms hotel.

My wife and I are very much looking forward to planning our next trip to Beaulieu, and in the meantime we shall savour our memories of our little break.

Buckingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We decided to give ourselves a treat for our wedding anniversary and booked a night away at the Montagu Arms. From our arrival we realised that this had been an excellent decision. This is a very pretty hotel set in a lovely location close to Beaulieu Palace in the beautiful New Forest. Our room was No 7 Chestnut which was a lovely suite looking out over the Beaulieu grounds. It had a 'Four Poster' and a Chaise Longe as well as a bay window with bench seating right around. All of the hotel facilities were first class but the service was second to none. We were greeted warmly and all the staff made sure that we had a very pleasant stay with lots of nice little extra touches. We had a meal in Monty's which is the attached pub and the food was excellent though you could also dine in the Michelin starred restaurant. This is not a cheap night away but it was excellent value and we would have no hesitation in recommending it.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more and go for a suite - you know you are worth it!
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for this superb 5 Star Rated Review and I am thrilled to hear that your Anniversary Treat was so memorable.

Whilst Monty’s Inn Dining is a much less formal affair here, our aim is to make it every bit as memorable as our Michelin Star Terrace Restaurant Dining. I am thrilled to hear that this is being achieved especially as Monty’s Head Chef puts such immense thought and effort into creating his menus, always ensuring that his dishes appeal to all tastes and budgets.

Your amazing feedback over our facilities, standards of service and those little extra touches are really appreciated.

Finally I would like to extend my sincere thanks for your recommendation to others…thank you.

I hope your time will permit you to return very soon, please keep an eye on our website for our Special Offers.

Sunil
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaulieu
Cottage Lodge Hotel
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in New Milton
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,677 reviews

Been to Montagu Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!