“The best boutique hotel in The New Forest you will find”
Review of Montagu Arms Hotel

Montagu Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Beaulieu
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I visited the Montagu Arms with a friend a couple of weeks ago and every aspect of our stay exceeded our expectations.

The setting is sensational - right on the waterfront with wild horses milling along the road. The gardens to the rear of the hotel are beautiful. There is a croquet lawn at the top and the lower part of the garden which extends from the bar/lounge centres around a water feature ... we enjoyed tea and the newspapers in the morning here and drinks at sundown ... total bliss.

On arrival, as we pulled up in the car park we were greeted by a perfectly turned out porter - so traditional - who escorted us to reception. On checking in we were kindly offered an upgrade. Our room was beautiful - it was a deluxe suite tucked away in the corner of the hotel with views in three directions. The bedroom was comfortable and beautifully light. The bathroom had a bath and shower with fluffy towels and bathrobes. There was also a lounge with a study area which was beautifully appointed.

Given that this is a fairly small country hotel (I think it had 22 rooms) the standard was remarkably high - more akin to 5* luxury - but the difference was the attention to detail. There was a filter coffee maker in the room, bottles of still and sparkling water (which were refilled on request) and as well as receiving the weather forecast for the following day you had tea and coffee brought up to the room in the morning before breakfast - this was a very nice touch.

The restaurant has a michelin star - quite unexpected. I have to admit, I was slightly disappointed by my main course - the veal was overcooked and rather tough which was a shame. However this did not ruin the meal since the experience as a whole was lovely. On arrival at dinner we were taken through the bar where we had a pre-dinner drink and were presented with the menu and the waiter explained the process ... this was very civilised. After being seated at our table we were served an amuse-bouche which I have to admit was simply divine. I then took the lobster ravioli which was absolutely delicious and my friend was equally pleased with her scallops followed by fish. We both took the lemon tarte for dessert which was the perfect way to end our meal.

Breakfast was equally good. The selection of food was excellent. My scrambled eggs were slightly overcooked for my liking but the wonderful waiter could see this and swiftly arranged for a fresh plate of eggs to be prepared. In fact, our young waiter - I think his name was Matthew - offered us the most remarkable service. He was fairly new at the hotel and yet his attention to detail was perfect and the warmth of his demeanour was so welcoming ... nothing was too much effort.

The service we received at every stage of our visit was in fact the best I have received in a long time and I am fortunate to visit a lot of lovely hotels. From the very helpful lady at reception (I think she was called r=Rachel) to the staff in the restaurant, the porters and the housekeepers ... everyone made us feel at home as guests.

If you want to go out:
1) Go and visit the spa at the sister hotel Careys Manor which is about a 5-10min drive from The Montagu Arms. You can swim and use the jacuzzi/sauna etc for free. If you want to access the spa facilities you pay a small surcharge (I think it was about £20) which we did and it was worth it. We also booked a massage which was excellent and well worth the money.
2) Go and visit Exbury Gardens which is also about a 10 min drive from the hotel - there is a lovely little steam railway and a walk around the gardens is lovely. This is a lovely way to spend 2 hours.

Room Tip: The corner deluxe suite that we had was beautifully appointed and full of Old English charm.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank SW1SEL
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear Guest,

How fantastic that you have taken the time and effort to post your invaluable feedback on Trip Advisor summing up your recent stay with us in such breathtaking detail.

Your absolutely superb compliments have been very warmly received by the team.

As with all reviews, this 5 Star detailed account of your stay is so very much appreciated as it shares so many aspects of your experience with other readers, which hopefully will leave them curious to come and find out for themselves about our hidden New Forest Country House Retreat with its’ fantastic surroundings on the doorstep!

I sincerely hope that this has left you wanting to return as soon as your time permits, when our aim will be to make each and every visit as unique and special as your very first!!

Sunil

Write a ReviewReviews (1,261)

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We have visited the Terrace Restaurant many times over the years and is definately our favourite restaurant. Excellent food and atmosphere. Exceptional staff. Beautiful gardens. Ticks every box as far as we are concerned and can't recommend highly enough

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard S

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent 5 Star rated review of your favourite restaurant and I am so pleased to hear that this time was as memorable for all the right reasons as past visits.

Together with the team we are all so delighted to see such a lovely review, very flattering indeed!

Your invaluable feedback is extremely important to us and so very much appreciated…thank you.

Ps ……please come back soon.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

The gardens are lovely and very peacful. The food in the resturant was excellent particularly the tasting menu. The wine is a bit expensive for what it is. The staff are very helpful and service is good

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the road are noisy even at 6am which is surprising for a country village
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for this review and I am especially thrilled to read your feedback about our seven course tasting menu but sorry you found are wines to be a bit expensive.

Our Head Sommelier - David Kubler’s experience having worked at Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck and the very impressive Le Manoir Aux Quat’Saisons uses his wisdom to get the balance right of the wines we can offer with the price. At the moment our starting price is £28.00 per bottle for a very good quality wine.

However, I have spoken to David who has taken on board your comments and will be looking into having cheaper wine options available for our guests.

I am delighted to hear that the above mentioned did not mar your dining experience and I look forward to Welcoming you back.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I booked 2 rooms for one night as a quiet haven in between 2 days at Peppa Pig world with my husband, son, daughter in law & 2 year old granddaughter. The hotel was everything we could have wished for, & Monty's got the seal of approval from all 5 of us at dinner time. Will definitely be back (without granddaughter) so that we can try the main restaurant.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this charming review for which you have so kindly given us a very generous 5 Stars.

I am very pleased to hear that your dining in Monty’s Inn our family pub was such a big hit with everyone. Monty’s Inn as well as offering an extensive children’s menu using only the very best fresh, local organic ingredients, has a selection of games to keep the children and the adults alike entertained. I hope you had the time to enjoy a game or two.

Thank you very much for all your kind praise about Monty’s and I look forward to Welcoming you back for your Michelin Star Dining Experience as soon as your time permits.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I have just returned from a weekend in the New Forest with my family. We chose the Montagu Arms for its proximity to Beaulieu Motor Museum and I have to say it was the perfect choice. Th e staff were welcoming and friendly. We booked a suite as there were three of us, the room was nicely decorated with a separate lounge area and a good sized bathroom. If I had to be hyper critical, I would say that it was a little noisy as it faced out onto the road through the village and traffic was surprisingly busy from around 5am, so if you are planning a visit you might want to request a room overlooking the gardens. The gardens are simply beautiful and my son and I thoroughly enjoyed our game of croquet after dinner. The food in The Terrace restaurant was simply stunning and the service attentive without being intrusive. In all a really lovely relaxing weekend. We look forward to returning again. Thank you to all at the hotel for making our stay so lovely.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the garden to avoid noise from the road.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nikki H

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay in our very Welcoming Country House Hotel and for taking the time to mention all the memorable highlights of your stay.

I am very pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed our fantastic location with one of our next door neighbours being the National Motor Museum!

Whilst I can honestly say that like yourselves all our other guests who stay in that bedroom suite love the room and the view, unfortunately because the bedroom is on the roadside that it can be noisy at a certain time of the day if a window is left open.

As I have said on many occasions, I never under estimate the time and effort taken by our very valued guests to enter a Trip Advisor Review…thank you for yours and with a fantastic five star rating too! Please come and see us again soon.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I had to be in Southampton for a few days and there were no hotel rooms to be found so we went further afield and booked into the Montagu Arms - and was so glad we did! It was a bit of a drive each day to and from Southampton but the scenery along the way was beautiful and by the time you got to Beaulieu you could just relax. The hotel was super; nice atmosphere, nicely decorated, comfortable room, beautiful gardens, very attentive and helpful staff, and the best restaurant I have been to in a long while! A wonderful to place to get a away for a long weekend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MPR18

Dear Guest,

My sincere thanks and appreciation for this delightful review and for the fantastic 5 Star Rating to go with it!

Whilst our location is somewhat off the beaten track, whichever way you approach us you cannot get here without an amazing drive through the New Forest National Park which is always beautiful with the ever changing seasons. How lovely to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed this drive and the scenery en route.

We are all exceptionally proud our 17th Century Country House Hotel and the team all work very hard to ensure our guests experience is the very best it can possibly be!

All your kind comments have been very warmly received and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

From the warm welcome, the staff's nothing is too much trouble attitude to the wonderful meal and breakfast, the whole experience was amazing.
The Montague Arms Hotel far exceeded our expectations and simply made our weekend away.
The room was comfortable with a lovely bed fit for a king. The gardens were the perfect place to unwind after a long drive and the restaurant was an amazing experience which topped off the day.
Secure reserved parking for a fifty something tart worrying about his precious car, a late request for a morning paper and a special request for breakfast were all in a days work for the excellent staff. Truly nothing was too much trouble.
Our new favourite hotel !

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Craig L

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for this superb 5 Star Rated Review and I am thrilled to hear that we exceeded your expectations. Your amazing feedback is appreciated more than words can say.

I would also like to extend my sincere thanks for your recommendation to others by entering this review.

I hope your time will permit you to return very soon to your ‘new favourite hotel’!

Sunil

Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaulieu
The Crown Manor House Hotel
#7 of 10 in Brockenhurst
Beaulieu Hotel
Beaulieu Hotel
#2 of 2 in Beaulieu

Been to Montagu Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!