1,369 results
All reviewsterrace restaurantmichelin startasting menunew forestsister hotelfour postermotor museumjunior suitejourney homeafternoon teagardens are beautifulcharming hoteloverlooking the gardenrestaurant managerlittle touchesspecial occasionhomemade biscuits
Reviewed 25 October 2014

OK it could be cheaper ;-) but from the welcome to the departure we could not find fault, attentive staff without being intrusive and absolutely glorious food, probably the best Cheeseboard I have ever tried.
Only niggle was the presence of seafood or fish in nearly every starter, but as it is so close to the sea I suppose it is to be expected. Please don't "update" - the whole environment has an air of authenticity missing in the modern rabbit hutches that call themselves hotels, this is a genuine English Country(ish) hotel at it's best and the restaurant's Michelin star is well deserved, the Veal rump was fantastic.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay.

It was a delight to read your review and I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay from the ‘welcome to the departure’! I have a fantastic, hardworking team and it was so lovely to share your feedback with them all.

Head Chef, Matthew Tomkinson and his team are always thrilled to read that our guests have enjoyed the food in our Michelin-starred Terrace restaurant and gastro pub Monty’s Inn and your comments regarding the presence of seafood or fish in nearly every starter has been noted. Chef Matthew has a wealth of local suppliers offering only the freshest seasonal ingredients available and as he often says: ‘The New Forest is my larder, and what a larder it is’.

We are currently undergoing a refurbishment programme to our public areas and bedrooms, but rest assured the Montagu Arms Hotel will continue to be sympathetically ‘updated’ to retain its air of authenticity.

I look forward to welcoming you once again when your time allows.

With kind regards

Reviewed 24 October 2014

My Husband and I stayed at the Montague Arms for two nights. Everything was perfect, the rooms were comfortable and clean, the food was fabulous, the staff were really helpful and overall our mini break was what we had hoped for. I would recommend that you drop your luggage off at the main entrance as the walk from the Car Park with luggage is quite a long way. There is complimentary tea/coffee brought to the room each morning if requested, which is a lovely start to the day.

• Stayed: October 2014
1  Thank Susannah L

Dear Guest,

I was absolutely thrilled when I read your five star review. I was delighted that you found everything to be ‘perfect’, the food ‘fabulous’ and that your mini break was what you had hoped for.

We have a fantastic and very hardworking team here at the hotel and I was delighted to pass on your lovely feedback.

Your recommendation of dropping luggage off at the main entrance is indeed a helpful comment and I recommend that to all our guests. In fact after reading your review and a few other guests’ feedback, I have now added a note in our guests confirmation requesting to park in the front of the hotel and we can park the car for you.

Many, many thanks for finding the time to write and post a constructive review.

I do hope you will return as soon as your time permits (please see our website for some amazing deals).

Kind regards

Reviewed 23 October 2014

Stayed here whilst on a local cheese making course. Wonderful place to stay, Dinner was superb and the service was discreet yet attentive. The bedroom didn't have much of a view but was clean and very comfortable. It would be a great place to stay over Xmas!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carl T

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write and post a review from your visit.
How lovely to read such a lovely review! I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay (not forgetting your cheese-making course!)

I was delighted to read that you found the dinner ‘superb’ and the Montagu Arms Hotel a ‘wonderful place to stay’. I can indeed tell you that it is a ‘great place to stay over Xmas’ with beautiful, traditional Christmas decorations and trees, open roaring fires and snug spots, not forgetting the wonderful Michelin-starred Terrace restaurant and our gastro pub Monty’s Inn for mouth-watering menus!

Please come and visit us again soon!

Kind regards

Reviewed 20 October 2014

The building is lovely, the staff are lovely, if slightly fusty, but it desperately needs updating, especially when there are hotels like The Pig popping up in the same area for a similar (high) room rate. Kitsh display cabinets, tacky ornaments and dried flower arrangements should be replaced and updated. This is of course a review based on personal taste. We couldn't fault the staff (although the barman directing all his explanations about the cocktails to my partner when I was the one asking the questions was quite annoying) and the room was large, clean and well equipped, although dated. The front of the hotel is on a road so best avoided if you're a light sleeper, although it is quite quiet at night, although the treat of finding donkeys on the pavement outside made up for the minor disturbance.

4  Thank HannahWHannahW
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2015

Dear Guest
I must apologise for the delay in responding to your review.

Thank you so much for finding the time to post a review following your stay at the Montagu Arms Hotel in October 2014. I was delighted to read that you wrote ‘the building is lovely, the staff are lovely’. Commenting on your thoughts ‘if slightly fusty, desperately needs updating’ and ‘the room was large, clean and well equipped, although dated’ – I am pleased to tell you that we have now completed a major refurbishment programme to all our public areas and some bedrooms – I’m sure you will agree, this is an enormous project, and extremely exciting!

I was delighted to read that you ‘couldn’t fault the staff’ and your comment regarding the barman is good, constructive feedback which helps me to improve our service and future guest experience.

Unfortunately, as you quite rightly point out, the location of the hotel is on a roadside and a few of our bedrooms face the Beaulieu River and the picturesque Beaulieu Palace. Many of our guests remark on how quiet it is once inside. We are also fortunate to have beautiful gardens and our own kitchen garden and resident hens, providing many ingredients for the fantastic dishes our chefs produce on a daily basis.

Thank you again for your feedback and time spent posting a review. We all (donkeys included!) look forward to welcoming you again in the future when your time permits.
Best wishes

Reviewed 16 October 2014

Myself and my husband have just returned from an overnight stay for his 40th at the Montague Arms and I can't praise it highly enough! All of the staff we encountered were very friendly and professional,the hotel is beautiful and a perfect location for a special occasion.We ate in the fabulous Terrace restaurant and had the 7 course taster menu with wine pairing which was stunning,special thanks to our waitress,apologies we didn't get your name,and the lovely Jennifer the sommelier who chose some great wines.Just don't eat or drink anything all day if you choose this menu,you'll have to be carried out otherwise!! If you're thinking of booking,just do it,you won't be disappointed,you can always find something to moan about anywhere you go if you look hard enough,but we'd definitely go back and have already recommended to family and friends,one of whom wants ideas for places to stay on a tour of Uk from Australia for his honeymoon,he's already got the brochure! Enjoy!!

3  Thank RedH43
SunilKanjanghat, Resident Manager at Montagu Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2014

Dear Guest,

I cannot thank you enough for summing up your recent overnight stay with such a fantastic 5 star rated review.

Everything you have said is everything we aim for and so fantastic to hear that this is being achieved.

Head Chef – Matthew Tomkinson also likes to hear how much his food and menus are enjoyed by our guests, where his aim is to ensure any visit to our Michelin Star Terrace Restaurant is a truly memorable dining experience to be thoroughly enjoyed by one and all.

Thank you for celebrating your husband’s birthday at the Montagu Arms.

Ps Huge thank you for recommending us to your family and friends the other side of the world!

With kind regards