“Very Nice.”
Review of Montagu Arms Hotel

Montagu Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Beaulieu
Reviewed 7 March 2011

I decided upon the Montagu on a whim, despite the cost of 'comfortably over' £200 for one nights stay there, including meals with my wife. Initial impressions were very good, a beautiful old place dating back to around the time of the English civil war in the heart of the New Forest, lots of wood panelling, a nice atmosphere, quiet and a relaxing from the get go. The staff, especially the old boy who helped with our bags, were most pleasant and cooperative and we were soon shown to our room. The room itself was the only disappointment, the wobbly bath panel, the low shower head and the overall ambiance, despite the nice four poster bed, all shouted 'three stars', not four, but where the place really hitched its socks up and made up for lost ground was in the restaurant. Impeccable food, impeccable service and impeccable surroundings. If you want to 'eat good', this is the place, I feel no need to go into any more detail, suffice to say, we both came away with every reason to be completely impressed, I almost felt the need to light up a cigarette and lay back in the culinery after glow. With the free complimentary use of Careys Manors' swimming and sauna facilities (6 miles down the road), aside from room niggles, I would highly recommend the Montagu if only to watch the spectacle free roaming, passing donkeys leaving small reminders for the locals to dodge with their push chairs and bicycles. Overall it felt, in a good way, like a lot more than one night and aside from the cawing crows over the road sharing their banter into the evening, it was a thoroughly relaxing stay entirely.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,232)

Reviewed 4 March 2011

We recently stayed at this hotel at a special offer rate which included a bottle of wine in the room, afternoon cream tea, dinner and breakfast as well as the room. This hotel is much posher than we would usually visit but it was a very good value deal, the same price as it usually is for bed and breakfast only.
The service was excellent throughout and the staff were very helpful and friendly but unobtrusive. The food in the restaurant was fantastic and we had a great table overlooking the garden, which at night is artistically lit to make the most of the landscaping. The garden is also full of hundreds of birds in the day time which makes it a pleasant place to walk off your cream tea!
The room was very pleasant and my only slight complaint was that the bed was a small double (4 1/2 ft) which meant that we didn't get the best nights sleep from being so close together and disturbing each other. Having said that the bed was comfortable and of much better quality than you often find in older hotels. A larger room and bed would have cost more but was available if we'd wanted it.
Tea/coffee was served to the door in the morning along with the paper, and breakfast was a good mix of buffet and cooked to order hot food (I would highly recommend the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs). I think it's a sign of good chefs when even the basics are really well done.
All in all a very nice hotel that I would love to visit again if I could afford it! I would suggest not having a room overlooking the road if you stay in the summer, as Beaulieu gets very busy with tourists, but it was not a problem in February.
Also I would recommend that you check your bill carefully when you leave as we were asked to pay a £12 "restaurant supplement" and we never quite got to the bottom of what that was for, given that we were on an inclusive deal.
The pub next door was also very pleasant - good beer and comfy sofas.
There is a spa available for free for guests at the Montagu Arms, but it is located in another hotel a few miles away so we didn't get a chance to try it.

Reviewed 1 March 2011

We did a 1 night deal at this hotel. We were met on arrival by a very friendly and helpful receptionist, who booked us in. The ambiance, cleanliness, gardens and comfort are absolutely refreshig. Our deal was a 1 night stay, with fine dining evening meal and full english or buffet breakfast, scones, cake and cream with a wonderful pot of tea in the afternoon, served in the conservatory that overlooked the lovely gardens, or the Lounge.
In our room was a bottle of proseco on ice, the bedroom was comfortable, decor good and the bathroom pristene. The whole of the staff at this hotel were amazing, nothing too much trouble. The waiting staff knew their jobs.The head restuarant manager, very efficient and friendly.
Only one thing I think for us was the evening meal. In our package we were allowed a meal to the value of £55 each, and anything over this you paid the excess and also paid for coffee, this was fine by us, but although there was a lot of fine dining choice, we were disappointed with the portions, I know that fine dining is not huge portions, but for starter we had a 1 very small side of fillet mackeral with 3 tiny cubes of cucumber and a teaspoon of mixed pickle. for our main, my husband chose a breast of duck with peppered mash and a piece of curly kale on the top, all cooked nicely, but 4 very thin slices of duck breast (it must have been a very small duck) mine was 2 x 1 inch thin squares of venison and I am afraid was raw rather than rare, with 3 minute squares of beetroot and a squidge of parsnip puree. My dessert I was happy with a right portion for a dessert, but my husband had a lemon meringue tart, which he said he couldn't find the lemon taste.
Now the breakfast was wonderfully cooked, the choices of both the buffet and the full english were delicious, well cooked and the eggs were cooked to perfection.
All in all this was a really nice break. We have never done fine dining, but from what we see on the chefs programmes, I think our portions should have been a bit bigger and on reflection, I should have asked for my venison to be cooked some more.
I would definitely go back to this hotel, but maybe choose to eat in Montys Bar Restuarant which is attached to the hotel as well.
Not disappointed at all with the hotel, but the evening meal we felt a bit disappointed with.
I would recommend to a friend, but would urge them to take note of points raised with regards to evening meal.

Reviewed 28 February 2011

booked at short notice on Travelzoo offer. The staff were all outstanding, and dinner in the Terrace was brilliant. Would be more than happy to return, and recommend to anyone

Reviewed 24 February 2011

We booked a three night weekend as part of my husband's birthday celebrations. We only had a standard double but the room was comfortable and clean. The good points to this hotel were that the place was old world, with lots of character, which we like, the log fires which drew us to this hotel on the website were always lit and lovely to return to after a day out. We relaxed in front of them every afternoon with our books and newspapers with a tray of coffee and biscuit,s which was perfect. Also, the staff were very friendly but unobtrusive.
On the evening of my husband's birthday we ate in the Michelin star restaurant.The food was amazing and, I can honestly say, was the best we've ever had and we have been to quite a few places of a similar standard in our time. There was even plenty to suit my taste, and I am a fussy eater. If I was going to be really picky, I would say that the only negative thing to comment on was that, as the restaurant became more busy during the evening, the service lessened and we felt less important and special as the evening went on.
We enjoyed eating in Monty's next door which meant we didn't have to venture out to find somewhere to eat and the food there is excellent.
A very expensive weekend but you get what you pay for and we weren't disappointed.

Reviewed 24 February 2011

Really enjoyed our stay at 'The montagu arms' a lovely hotel in nice surroundings. When we arrived we were greated and shown to our romm,rather than just given the key and being told where to go like some hotels do. When we got to our room I enquired about an iron or trouser press in our room,I was told there wasn't one,within 5 minutes though there was a knock on the door and someone had bought up an iron for us to use. This service was continued throughout our stay. While we were down in the restaurant having dinner at night someone had been in to our room,tidied it up,made the bed and left a couple of glasses of mineral water on each bedside table,nice touches like this are very nice when you stay in a hotel. Also when we checked out we were given a bag from the hotel with mineral water and fruit for the journey back.

The room we had was nice,a decent size,nicely decorated,it also had two different bathrooms. The hotel restaurant was one of the nicest restaurants I have dined in,lovely furniture,nice atmosphere and very good service. The food was very good,I had a lovely duck starter with wallnuts which was my favourite part of the meal. The restaurant definitely deserves it's michelin star in my opinion,it would be up in my top 3 favourite restaurants along with 'Simpsons' and 'Murano' I think. Cooked breakfast the next morning was equally impressive,maybe the best I have ever had,everything was so fresh and tasty,great coffee too which you don't always get in hotels.

Would love to go back again sometime in the future,the only downside to the hotel in my opinion is that it would benefit from having a leisure center. Although you could use the facilities of a nearby hotel sometimes you just want to get up early and have a swim before breakfast or have a lazy day in the hotel without having to drive out of the hotel. This isn't really a complaint just a comment as we knew before we went what facilities the hotel had got. One complaint I have got is that on the website it states 'No denim in the restaurant' so I wore my trousers,even though I would have prefered to feel more relaxed in a smart pair of jeans. Guess what? Yes,there was someone in the restaurant in jeans and a teenager in a Manchester united football top! Surely the bast idea is either not to have the rule at all and let people enjoy the food the way that feel comfortable or if you must have the rule then inforce it and turn people away in jeans? It happens in so many places and it's really annoying. Anyway,that is the moan out of the way,apart from that everything else was fantastic,loved the hotel and food and the staff were fantastic,look forward to maybe going back at some stage.

Reviewed 22 February 2011

We stayed at the Montagu Arms as a birthday treat. From the moment we arrived we were well looked after. The staff are friendly, considerate, nothing is too much to ask. The food in the resturant was exceptional. We wuld highly recommend the taster menu with wine.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaulieu
The Crown Manor House Hotel
#1 of 1 in New Milton
Rhinefield House Hotel
Rhinefield House Hotel
#7 of 10 in Brockenhurst

Been to Montagu Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!