“High Expectations......”
Review of Montagu Arms Hotel

Montagu Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Beaulieu
Reviewed 10 March 2011

We spent the first part of our trip home discussing our feelings about this hotel as they were mixed. We recognised that part of this was that we arrived with high expectations of what a Michelin star meant in terms of service - you can blame Michel Roux and his tv show. I was hoping for some of Fred Siriex's Golden Moments and they were sadly lacking.

To start with the high points - the food in the Terrace restaurant was really good. We had three great breakfasts and one fabulous evening meal. Portion size was absolutely fine - if you think conspicuous quantity is an important aspect of quality, you might be better off eating in Monty's. We enjoyed two evening meals there - good, hearty food and plenty for even the most dedicated over-eater of meat - more like 700g than our recommended daily 70g.

The public rooms in the hotel are lovely and I only wished I'd had the opportunity to take more advantage of a comfy sofa in front of one of the many open log fires.

We had a Superior room and I was disappointed in the size, which was the same as a Standard. The extra money just meant the soft furnishings were a bit nicer and there was more furniture, which made the room seem a bit on the cramped side. A few extra square metres and it would have been perfect. The large shower head also promised far more than it ever delivered - odd as there was masses of hot water.

And so to service. This was mixed. There were some delightful staff who did go out of their way to be friendly and helpful. And then there were some who didn't. One day at breakfast we were left at the door to the restaurant waiting for a table while the young man finished off what he was doing while pretending not to notice us. Eventually he came over - there was no suitable table for three, so we were shown one that had obviously been used already that morning and it was slowly relaid. No menus presented and some of our order was forgotten. Other staff just seemed rather out of their depth. I did feel like a pampered guest on occasion, just not quite enough of the time for the price.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,261)

Reviewed 9 March 2011

Excellence of service by all staff, with old traditions and nice little touches, long lost in most hotels.

Food superb although wine list expensive.

Quiet, picturesque & peaceful location

All rooms individual.

Reviewed 8 March 2011

We did have a good stay at this hotel, but I have to admit to being disappointed with the room. While it was of course described as a 'standard double', for just shy of £200 outside London, I wasn't expecting 'standard' to mean 'average'.

The room was clean, with a regular size double bed with a canopy - but I think the canopy on the bed was probably the defining feature. Without it, it was a small-ish room with an ordinary bathroom very much like you'd find in any other nice-ish B&B. I must admit to feeling a little disappointed. (I also have a bad back, and the bed was very soft - anyone else with a bad back might not be able to sleep either - my partner was fine though).

So, that was the room.

The staff on the other hand were very nice. We arrived late and knowing we were booked in the brasserie for the last sitting, I called ahead to say we might not make it on time. The lovely lady on reception read the menu and took my order over the phone, and the food was ready when we arrived, which was incredibly kind.

The breakfasts are good, we had a great meal in the main restaurant, and all the communal areas in the hotel were pleasant. It was bit cold to sit in the garden (not the hotel's fault!) but I imagine in the summer it's great.

It's also ideally located for the Motor Museum and a walk to Bucklers Hard.

So overall, it was mixed. Would I stay there again? I don't think so, but i would go for dinner. I'm afraid I was just expecting a little more of the room for the money.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel 3 weeks ago.
What a welcome we received, from the time we arrived till our good=byes.
The food was amazing, and the staff very attentive, without being intrusive.
As a hotel manager myself, it was nice to see old fashioned service is still alive in England.
Well done and many thanks, we will return.

Reviewed 7 March 2011

Really disappointed! Arrived to be greeted by a scruffy looking girl who showed us to our room which was pretty chintzy but fine. Nice bathroom. Letter addressed to someone else instead of us. Went Down to bar for a drink which we waited about 15 minutes for. Had 2 drinks each and a sandwich to share and the bill came to just under £50 - ouch!
Went for dinner and things got worse.terrible service - from getting drinks wrong, shouting across restaurant to see if we
Wanted water and sitting us on a table extremely close to another couple - both of us were embarrassed. On asking to move we were told we could but would have to wait. Wait we did..even though there were actually only about six tables in the restaurant.
Then we were told ' bring your napkins' as our drinks were grabbed and put on the table.
Food was lovely, but most definitely not a mitchelin experience because of the service.
Breakfast the next morning was lovely and service was great. Dinner cost over £150 for 2 starters, 2 mains and one cheese and a £25 bottle of wine.
Really disappointed!

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank caba_7
Reviewed 7 March 2011

I decided upon the Montagu on a whim, despite the cost of 'comfortably over' £200 for one nights stay there, including meals with my wife. Initial impressions were very good, a beautiful old place dating back to around the time of the English civil war in the heart of the New Forest, lots of wood panelling, a nice atmosphere, quiet and a relaxing from the get go. The staff, especially the old boy who helped with our bags, were most pleasant and cooperative and we were soon shown to our room. The room itself was the only disappointment, the wobbly bath panel, the low shower head and the overall ambiance, despite the nice four poster bed, all shouted 'three stars', not four, but where the place really hitched its socks up and made up for lost ground was in the restaurant. Impeccable food, impeccable service and impeccable surroundings. If you want to 'eat good', this is the place, I feel no need to go into any more detail, suffice to say, we both came away with every reason to be completely impressed, I almost felt the need to light up a cigarette and lay back in the culinery after glow. With the free complimentary use of Careys Manors' swimming and sauna facilities (6 miles down the road), aside from room niggles, I would highly recommend the Montagu if only to watch the spectacle free roaming, passing donkeys leaving small reminders for the locals to dodge with their push chairs and bicycles. Overall it felt, in a good way, like a lot more than one night and aside from the cawing crows over the road sharing their banter into the evening, it was a thoroughly relaxing stay entirely.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2011

We recently stayed at this hotel at a special offer rate which included a bottle of wine in the room, afternoon cream tea, dinner and breakfast as well as the room. This hotel is much posher than we would usually visit but it was a very good value deal, the same price as it usually is for bed and breakfast only.
The service was excellent throughout and the staff were very helpful and friendly but unobtrusive. The food in the restaurant was fantastic and we had a great table overlooking the garden, which at night is artistically lit to make the most of the landscaping. The garden is also full of hundreds of birds in the day time which makes it a pleasant place to walk off your cream tea!
The room was very pleasant and my only slight complaint was that the bed was a small double (4 1/2 ft) which meant that we didn't get the best nights sleep from being so close together and disturbing each other. Having said that the bed was comfortable and of much better quality than you often find in older hotels. A larger room and bed would have cost more but was available if we'd wanted it.
Tea/coffee was served to the door in the morning along with the paper, and breakfast was a good mix of buffet and cooked to order hot food (I would highly recommend the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs). I think it's a sign of good chefs when even the basics are really well done.
All in all a very nice hotel that I would love to visit again if I could afford it! I would suggest not having a room overlooking the road if you stay in the summer, as Beaulieu gets very busy with tourists, but it was not a problem in February.
Also I would recommend that you check your bill carefully when you leave as we were asked to pay a £12 "restaurant supplement" and we never quite got to the bottom of what that was for, given that we were on an inclusive deal.
The pub next door was also very pleasant - good beer and comfy sofas.
There is a spa available for free for guests at the Montagu Arms, but it is located in another hotel a few miles away so we didn't get a chance to try it.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaulieu
The Crown Manor House Hotel
#7 of 10 in Brockenhurst
Beaulieu Hotel
Beaulieu Hotel
#2 of 2 in Beaulieu

Been to Montagu Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!