“Unbelievable!!”
Review of Ryehill Cottage

Ryehill Cottage
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Beaulieu
Ryehill Cottage
Ranked #3 of 5 Beaulieu B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 October 2009

I called to check availability for Thurs 10th September during the morning and found, to my surprise, that there was room at the inn for me and, having stayed with Jenny and Richard once two years before, my heart sang!! These people really know how to look after you.

Being one of those odd balls who arrive after 11.00 pm, I was releived to find my room ready and waiting, the light left on and all exactly as I expected.

In the morning, a beautiful Breakfast with Jenny and Richard, as much tea or coffee as I could manage and then a walk around their georgeous garden with their little dog, who happily posed for my camera but eventually walked off in a huff as the results were less than pleasing due to my lack of skill, not her lack of patience.

This was the weekend when Beaulieu goes completely bonkers and hosts the Classic Auto Jumble, so I was in for a real treat. Whilst playing with my camera in the garden, I was delighted to discover a trailer laden with 2 superb classic MG's parked up outside. The owner was checking on the availability of a room and so I started snapping with my Canon 40D!! What a bonus!

You see, the cottage is just so pretty that people driving along the little lane can not stop themselves from pulling over to check it out. Once inside, it gets even better and then coupled with the friendly and helpful nature of it's owners, it isn't difficult to see why Ryehill Cottage does so exceedingly well. My first stay here was in April 2006 with my 94 year old Mother. We visited the Exbury Gardens for the Spring colour, Rhododendrons etc., and were thoroughly spoiled by Richard and Jenny who made our stay so wonderfully special. That was the last time that Mum was well enough to be out in my car and I am just so thankful that we were able to spend this time together in such an absolutely heavenly place.

With Thanks to both Richard and Jenny for their many kindnesses.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank Hotclublady
There are newer reviews for Ryehill Cottage

Reviewed 28 August 2008

Staying in this cottage was really lovely. People saying it was tacky or that Richard was 'over' friendly is rubbish in our eyes. Yes, the bedding (2 single quilts on a double bed) was a bit strange, but overall, my husband and i really did enjoy our stay. Richard and Jenny were great, made us welcome and could'nt do enough to make our stay a great one. Tea and coffee making facilities not available in rooms, but when you see the plush nearly white carpet throughout the place, you'd understand why they'd prefer you did'nt drink tea/coffee up there.
And yes, there is no tv in the room, but so what? Have you gone away to watch tv? We stayed there for 2 days and were filled with things to do. People are just too fussy.
The breakfast was first class. Started with half a grapefruit, then there was muisli, fresh fruit, natural yogurt and milk. Then followed a big fried breakfast, endless amount of tea/coffee or fresh orange juice. Needless to say, lunch was a late one after that feast! I have attached a picture taken from the bottom of the garden at the cottage. The grounds were amazing, really beautiful. And yes, the cottage is on a main bendy road, but it is the country side, not busy and i was'nt woken once with motor noise and i'm a light sleeper!
If you decide to stay here, enjoy!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank SonyaM
Reviewed 12 January 2008

I used Ryehill Cottage in several occasions and confirm my appreciation.
If you love the real English country cottage and warm hospitality, Ryehill is the place to go. Breakfast is second to none and Jenny and Richard are lovely people.
To me this place is highly recommended for everyone who wants to experience the wonderful New Forrest.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 29 November 2007

We stayed here for two nights in late October 2007. Five stars is not enough for this charming B&B! My fiance arranged a surprise trip and to drive up to such a beautiful cottage and be told we will be staying there for the weekend was really an amazing surprise! I really can't describe how stunning the house is, you really are made to feel at home here.

We arrived in the middle of a dinner party for ten, but it was still no trouble for Jenny and Richard to welcome us and show us to our room. They sorted us out with a torch and directed us to the local restaurant for some dinner (along a spooky forest path, eek!!)

The room was lovely, with a mix of old fashioned and modern furniture and the bathroom across the hall was very modern and shiny. It is very small but this just adds to the charm of the place - my fiance who is 6ft 3" managed to shower with no problems. There were nice soft bathrobes on the back of the bedroom door and lots of toiletries and moisturisers in the room so there's no need to worry if you forget something. The 'touch on touch off' lamps provided us with lots of amusement as they seem to have a mind of their own!

The breakfast was fabulous, with so much choice and a delicious home-made fruit compote that was the best I've tasted. It was the first candle-lit breakfast I've ever had, very romantic!

As mentioned in previous reviews - it is on the bend of a main road, but there was no traffic noise and this should not put anyone off staying here.

There are many attractions nearby and is a good base if you are planning some walks. Jenny and Richard recommended The Red Lion in Boldre to go for a meal and the food there was delicious, we would definitely eat there again - it was very good.

Overall, it is a really lovely country B&B with great service. Stay here if you want a nice relaxed break with fabulous food and hosts.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2007

We saw the photo of this cottage on the internet and it looked idealic, if a little expensive at £85 to £90 per night. When we arrived, we were dissapointed to find the house on the bend of a main road. However, Richard was very welcoming, if a little too much so!

Before being shown to our room, we were informed there was going to be a private dinner party downstairs that night. The house seemed a little small (only two guest bedrooms rented out for B&B) to entertain privately and have B&B guests staying, so that alarmed us.

Our room was far from what we'd expected. No portable TV, no tea/coffee making facilities. Richard did offer to make us a hot drink, but we were asked to go downstairs for it. The bed seemed to be two singles pushed together and the bedding looked dated with old cushions on top of the pillows. There was a tiny shower room which you had to go out of the room into the corridor to reach. We were very dissappointed and not prepared to spend almost a hundred pounds a night, therefore we left immediately.

To spend almost a hundred pounds on a room for the night (including cooked breakfast) is, in our opinion, only worth it if you get what you pay for. This room was certainly worth no more than £30 per night. Even then, I think a kettle and a few tea bags wouldn't be asking too much!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank taylorgrace
Reviewed 5 July 2007

My mother and I had a such a wonderful experience with our 2 nights at Ryehill Cottage. Jenny and Richard could not have been more accomodating! The breakfast was absolutely delicious! Richard makes some fabulous scrammbled eggs. Poppy the dog was wonderful company. The home is beautifully decorated, and the bathroom is fantastically renovated. Nice touch with the Molton Brown soaps and lotions. I ended up buying some at the duty free at Heathrow on my way back to Canada! I highly recommend this B & B. Anybody who goes to Ryehill Cottage will truly enjoy their stay.

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank rockybeach
Reviewed 19 October 2006

I booked a double room for 2 nights at the Ryehill Cottage Bed & Breakfast @ £80 per night.

We arranged with the proprietor, Jenny Graefe, to arrive between 2:30 & 3:00 on the first day, to check in & leave bags in the room.

Jenny's partner left a message to say that they would be back about 2:40. We arrrived at 3:00, they arrived at 3:10.

The 'double' bed was, in fact, 2 old, saggy single beds pushed together with 2, thin, single qulits.

The room had no heating, until approx 7 am. The room was very cold.

The shower room was in poor repair with broken mirror tiles, a shower just about big enough for me, I am 5'8", with a shower head which did not work effectively.

Worst of all, Ms Graefe provided white bath robes which were dirty.

We did not stay for breakfast, we paid the full £80 for the night we spent there &, to date - 6 days later, Ms Graefe has not attempted to contact us.

Stayed: October 2006
4  Thank thisisajoke
Hasi-bear, Owner at Ryehill Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2006

Dear Trip Advisor Readers, please find below a copy of the response I sent to this unhappy guest. We can say with total honesty that we have never had a complaint of any nature from any guest until this one and that we endeavour to ensure that all our guests are made to feel welcome and satisfied with their stay in our home!

'I apologise for the delay in replying, but have been out of the country. I am very sorry that you felt so strongly about your stay at Ryehill Cottage.
Perhaps, if you had taken the time to address your concerns in person and stayed to enjoy the breakfast cooked for you in our, to use your turn of phrase, beautiful home, you might have been pleasantly surprised.
We do our utmost to make sure our guests are comfortable in our home and regret that we were not able to do so for you.
We are always happy to accept positive criticism. However, I remain disappointed that you have chosen to publicise your dissatisfaction in such a manner.'

Jenny Graefe

Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaulieu
Montagu Arms Hotel
Balmer Lawn
Balmer Lawn
#4 of 10 in Brockenhurst
The Crown Manor House Hotel

Been to Ryehill Cottage? Share your experiences!