“Excellent room and food!”
Review of The Greyhound Inn

The Greyhound Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Aldbury B&B and Inns
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Excellent room and food!”
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I stayed here with work on 25 September and arrived late afternoon. Mt friend and I were given a room each at the back of the pub with our own entrance. The rooms were cosy and had lots of tea and coffee and milk which was a welcome change. The only thing missing was a hairdryer!
Several of my other colleagues arrived and we all ate in the restaurant.
The food along with the service was excellent. I had the liver parfait with amble amounts of toast. Other starters were Salt and Chilli squid, Tequila prawns (a shot of tequila on the side) and soup! Everyone left empty plates.........................I assume all enjoyable!
For my main course I had Smoked Haddock served on mash topped with the most perfect poached egg with hollandaise sauce, absolutely gorgeous! Other mains had were duck, lamb, steak all cooked to perfection. We all had puddings to die for including Bakewell Tart.
Only disappointment was the Irish coffees............
Breakfast included a choice of cereals and juices and then a cooked breakfast which was cooked and served by the most delightful lady and a proper pot of scalding strong tea!! The only thing I think missing was fresh fruit and yogurt, my favourite in the morning!
We had a nightcap in the bar and joined the locals who were extremely friendly.
I will certainly be back again as it's so close to Tring train station if you wanted to visit London but avoid London prices!
Well done to the staff and chef for making the evening and morning a relaxing affair before the madness of work!!

Room Tip: If you are travelling in a group, ask for the rooms at the back of the Inn
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Polish first
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Travelled from North East to visit close family, for nearly a week, in Tring - which was 5 mins up the road from this lovely hotel. We stayed in 2 rooms, one single and one double. All rooms were really spacious and had every facility you would expect - the power shower was a lovely surprise. No shower cap though - however all other personal items were provided (and they were really nice too). Despite being above the main entrance/exit, everything quietened right down as soon as the pub closed at about 22hr30 each evening, so we had a restful night each time in comfy beds. We also had a family evening meal here on one of the evenings that we stayed and nothing was too much trouble for the very friendly staff for our 3 generational families. I will definitely want to come back here and stay again when next visiting and recommend it to all - a very happy experience.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building will be noisier but more quaint/original. The annexe will be far quieter...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Yarm
Reviewed 8 September 2012

My husband and I booked in for one night, intending to go by motorcycle ,this inn would have been ideal as it has a parking area covered over at the back, as it was we went by car. The room was very small but had everything we needed, and was very clean and nice.The breakfast was great and they even provided a tray meal for my husband, as he could not make it down to the restaurant. Great service very friendly. we dined in the greyhound for dinner which was also excellent, and reasonably priced.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Greyhound Inn and it was perfectly located to explore the local area ( Ashridge etc) on foot and on bike. The staff at the pub were very friendly and breakfast was yummy. The room had all the facilities expected, it is a little dated but clean! so i would recommend it. Also had dinner at the pub and really enjoyed it.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We went with some friends for Sunday lunch at this pub and found the food to be decidedly average. My friends fish was overcooked, my husband roast beef was also overcooked and appeared to have not been freshly carved but taken out of a catering pack, and his roast potatoes were so hard and undercooked that he could not eat most of them.

No idea what it's like to stay there, but will certainly not be returning for any food.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank brenzLondon
hertfordshire
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We stayed here for one night Sunday 3 rd June.We picked This inn because we found a delightfull walk through the village of Aldbury.The walk was by David Wenk,and included walking to Tring Station,tow path of Grand Union Canal,Cow Roast Marina,village of Aldbury,Bulbourne Valley Toms Hill and Moneybury Hill.Even though it rained all day we still enjoyed this walk and stopped at The Cow Roast Inn for lunch.the landlord was very friendly and lunch was good value.
The Greyhound Inn provided us with a lovely clean room, We had a room above the inn The bed was comfortable and we had a good night sleep.I was pleasantly suprised with the added finishing touches of shampoo shower gell,tea cofee, bottled water and biscuits
we had an excellent evening meal in the evening and the staff were very friendly helpfull and attentive.
The breakfast was great in fact one of the best We have had.
we would recomend this inn and we would stay here again if we were to come back to this area.
Our only negative thing we have to say is we were cold in the bedroom there was no heating and no radiator working.Having been walking in the rain all day couldnt dry our wet clothes but this was a mior issue.Having said that as it was June the owners probally didnt expect the weather to be so poor after the nice spell we had just had.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Belfast
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Stayed at The Greyhound for two nights on business. Lovely welcome - my bag was taken up to my room - really comfy and quirky. I had a seperate sitting room, and a 2nd bedroom with cute little pine bed for a child.
Was pleased to have bottles of water along with tea/coffee in the room. Had a brilliant nights sleep - no road noise just birds singing in the morning and a lovely view over the old church and fields.
Breakfast was excellent - really good quality produce and friendly service. Made to feel very welcome - I even had a drink in the bar in the evening on my own - something I never do in a hotel but the other customers were friendly too - even their dogs !
Looking forward to going back quiet soon - want to have another stroll in the churchyard - fascinating !

Room Tip: Ask for The Aldbury - the biggest room in the hotel with a 2nd bedroom - great for a family.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldbury
Pendley Manor Hotel
#1 of 2 in Berkhamsted
Red Lion Hotel
Red Lion Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wendover

Been to The Greyhound Inn? Share your experiences!