“Sunday Lunch”
Review of The Greyhound Inn

The Greyhound Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Aldbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

I wanted to add to my previous review yesterday, especially after reading other reviews.
We too have eaten in this pub on other occasions (not Sunday lunch) and everything was great.
So what happens on Sundays???
Is it the regular staff day off?
Why do so many places make the same mistake? Surely Sunday lunch is the 'family get together time' and often people decide to eat out. This probably proves to be the most popular day of the week to try somewhere for lunch. It's the golden opportunity to impress and encourage new business and happy customers. Believe me, freezers and microwaves will not do that.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cels50

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Booked my family (4 & 3 yr olds) into The Greyhound after a family party at Ashridge College. Expected to be able to have an evening meal / drink in the bar with my wife, but first disappointment, we were in an annex away from the pub.
We dont carry a baby monitor these days, and the pub staff didnt have any ideas, so being an engineer I figured we would set up a baby monitor using WiFi and our phones ... the phones worked fine, but then we discovered the pub's own WiFi doesnt work in the annex because the chef has his own WiFi network that blocks the signal!
The kids were asleep by seven, so we were effectively room-bound the entire evening.
On the positive side the quality of the room was fine, as was breakfast in the morning.
Staying here was a big disappointment and waste of £90 for us, particularly given the fact I told them the ages of our children when I booked. The local Premier Inn would have been £55 for a decent family room and we would have got a meal!

Room Tip: Don't stay in the annex with a young family.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We came here for a night as we were visiting nearby Whipsnade Zoo the following day. We booked online and were assigned a slightly small room, which was perfectly adequate. Upon checking out we spoke with the owner and she recommended calling before booking online as then she can discuss which rooms are free, as they do vary.

We ate both dinnner and breakfast (cooked to order!) there and the food was outstanding, with the service also perfectly attentive. Aldbury is very picturesque and They Greyhound is smack in the middle, with good access to nearby woods and hills which seems to attract a lot of walkers. We would definitely stay again

Room Tip: Call ahead and speak to the owner.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TimSlade
Reviewed 13 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here at the end of our Ridgeway hike. While the rooms are dated, they are adequate and in a building separate from the pub/restaurant, so noise was not an issue. The pub was a fun place with lots of conversation and the restaurant spacious, up-to-date and serves very good food. The best part of our stay was the people who worked there; they were all friendly, interesting to talk to and incredibly helpful. I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Check into your room, then sit in the pub for a pint and a good chat.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2013

In order to be fair I have done 2 reviews for this one for the hotel and a separate one for the restaurant, so here goes for the hotel.
I am a great believer that on business if you are not going to do it properly then it is best not to do it at all. Now at £65 for B&B this is a very reasonably priced hotel for the area, however when it comes to the accommodation that is where the positives end. I stayed in the Moneybury Hill room and to say it looks cheap and dated is to do it a favour. The furniture is cheap, looks it and feels it, the carpet is dirty, the bed does not have a headboard, the walls desperately need painting and the main light would be more at home in a public underpass. The bathroom is another story completely, the shower is not worth having and has 2 settings, which it chooses, scalding and freezing, in order to have a shave I had to boil the kettle in order to get some water hot enough. The linoleum on the floor appears to have been there since a time when it was first fashionable in the 70's and it just generally had a feeling of not being very clean. All in all the accommodation is extremely disappointing and personally I feel the best thing would be to either completely refurbish the rooms to a standard that matches the food or to use it as staff accommodation as it was a VERY BIG LET DOWN.

Room Tip: find a different hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Kelvin M
Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

We arrived in the area early as we were attending a wedding locally. After a quick chat with a member of staff we were able to check into our room early without any fuss which allowed us to get ready and dress for the wedding.
We stayed in Bluebell room, which was very comfortable, clean and spacious.
The B&B itself is a very quirky old building filled with character.
After a great night sleep we enjoyed a fantastic quality breakfast served by friendly staff.
The B&B is set in a lovely location, and we would definitely return to explore the surrounding area.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I stayed 10th September, whilst I was a little apprehensive after reading a few other reviews I was plesantly supprised and enjoyed my stay. The Greyhounds Food and Beer are excellent and the staff really are customer focused with the pub having a really nice atmosphere.

My room was a good size, its was a bit dated and whilst I had a really good shower the bathroom wasnt quite up to the standards of the rest of the establishment.

I would stay again I had a really peaceful nights sleep.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldbury
Pendley Manor Hotel
#2 of 2 in Berkhamsted
Chartridge Lodge
Chartridge Lodge
#2 of 2 in Chesham

Been to The Greyhound Inn? Share your experiences!