“Good value for money!”

The Chase Inn
Truro, United Kingdom
“Good value for money!”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Stayed here for an overnight stop to north Wales.Room basic but clean,power shower and lovely thick towels.Lovely country location,wasn't noisey at night even though it was next to a main road.We had drinks in the bar where prices were reasonable,we did not have an evening meal but had an excellant cooked breakfast! Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I was booked in for a night here by my boss as I work all over the country. The pub is nice and seems well presented. Food was good and stayed on a Wednesday (curry night) and got a curry with all the trimmings and a pint for £6.75. The room was a bit shabby and both cups in the room were both dirty from the last people who stayed here. The walls seem paper thin and can here the people in the other rooms talking. Stayed in better but then again I've stayed in a lot worse!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Toonman76
Bermuda
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I booked a single room at the Chase Inn due to its competitive price and proximity close to Eastnor Castle for a show I was attending the following day.

On arrival, the owner (wife) was friendly and gave me the room key. I dropped my luggage into the room and went directly to the pub for some dinner. The pub food was tasty and well presented. The draught beer was refreshing and the free wi-fi allowed me to catch up on some e-mails, etc. I enjoyed a couple of pleasant hours in the pub and then headed up to the room.

Once I was in the room, I began to notice a few issues. The carpet was old with several stains and what appeared to be cigarette burns. The wall had significant damage from dampness - apparently caused due to a rotten window frame. Both require attention but I could overlook the issues considering the low cost of the room. However, I expect the bed to be comfortable - it wasn't. The middle of the single bed seemed to be worn out. I could feel the springs pressing against my back, causing discomfort. I tried to lay on the outer edges of the bed to avoid the springs but this all resulted in a bad nights sleep.

I mentioned my concern with the bed to the owner the next morning (after a pleasant cooked breakfast). She informed me that they only took over the place four months ago and that they replaced all of the mattresses at that time. Maybe they bought cheap mattresses!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Craig M
Blackpool, UK
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I made a HUGE mistake last time I was visiting this area, and stayed in a different hotel, which was probably one of the worst overnight experiences of my life! This time I returned to the Chase, which had only recently changed management before my last stay. I was delighted to find the same couple running it, and the welcoming smiles after a long journey were much appreciated.

This is a typical village inn, no pretension or delusions of grandeur, a good, honest, traditional pub on the ground floor, with clean, nicely appointed bedrooms upstairs. Very comfortable bed, crisp clean linen, good towels, and a power shower.

The bar menu is excellent, and food is freshly cooked. The stock "company" menu is there, with some excellent specials in addition, all at a good price. The number of non-residents eating on a Monday night bore witness to the popularity of the venue, and there's an added bonus of an outside area where you can enjoy the clean country air while eating and enjoying an excellent pint or two.

A good, freshly prepared full breakfast to start the day, friendly and efficient management, lovely chatty locals, and the great overall ambience of a British village, complete with village green and local community shop, make this a terrific place to stay.

I look forward to my next visit, hopefully later this year.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

During our stay, the owner ( the gentleman ) was friendly and welcomed us warmly.
We had a very tasty chicken sizzling for dinner.

However, our room was above kitchen and kitchen-fan was buzzing constantly and we even could not rest after long drive the whole day.
When we asked about that fan to the above owner, he was apologetic and said that would switch off around 9.30PM, so it did.
As it was from kitchen, nothing he could have done anyway.
But, it switch on again around 7am for breakfast.

Room Tip: Inquire by phone on booking about the room - whether it is above kithchen or near to kitchen - fan...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I went in for a meal with a couple of my friends (who were staying in the B&B bit), the special blackboard looked very smart, if perhaps a little bit pricey. The tables were clean and looked smart. When the food came out it looked well presented, would have been nice if the steak was cooked as i asked, and my friends jacket potato was cold in the middle.
Around the edges of the carpet - and this was hard to miss - it looked as if it had been eaten by a moth, or rather alot of them. To be honest it looked as if the Landlord and Landlady didn't really care. He was very arrogant to a few other customers while we were there. And she's not very good with conversations. i was asking about the village and she walked away mid-conversation. The atmosphere was quiet. The background music was playing, then it wasnt, then it was.
The Pepsi tasted watered-down, and there was a fly in my ice cube. both my friends had a carlsberg - good price, but bad taste. They didn't have tea, yet when my friends staying tea was no-problem. The Coffee selection was god though.

I went there at the begining of the year, and it was good, They had an amazing femle chef, and all the staff, including the land lord and land lady were very welcoming and pleasent. I feel since they've gone, and this new couple have arrived its all gone down hill quite alot. I hear The Chase has lost some excellent staff. Real shame.

The Green Dragon next door does food, might go there next time. Or The Wheatsheaf on Fromes Hill. Food up there is amazing, and the staff are more friendly. They have rooms there too.

Room Tip: i didn't stay, my friends did. these rooms are tired and in desperate need of a lick of paint. A...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank DrinkUpQuick
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2013

This is a small bed and breakfast and country pub and this is our third visit. very reasonably priced,new managers have recently acquired the pub.It needs updating,but the bed linen was spotless the bed very comfortable. The breakfast was very good.The evening meals very nice.The shower was small,but for the price you cannot fault it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Ramada London Stansted Airport
Ramada London Stansted Airport
#2 of 3 in Bishops Stortford
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Travelodge Stansted Bishops Stortford Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stansted Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stanst...
#2 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet

Been to The Chase Inn? Share your experiences!