“"So sad"”
Review of The Hop Pole

The Hop Pole
Ranked #9 of 9 Bromyard B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Somewhere around 50 years ago, this beautiful old lady was a wonderful place to eat and entertain. Shooting parties, weddings and celebrations of all kinds were regularly booked and often was very difficult to book the date you wished for . The hosts were never disappointed as this was the place of superb value for money and very warm cheer.

However, after staying in different rooms on two occasions I can honestly say that what I saw in the old building is very saddening. Leaking ceilings, frayed carpets, filthy toilets and rotting window frames left me with a feeling of bewilderment as to how this business can ever function? The basic needs are not catered for in any way, and I would definitely not recommend this hotel to any young lady traveling alone, as the locks on the doors are not serviceable and the hotel is unmanned at night.
The bathroom is truly revolting, dear God!!!!!! and the hotel 'rules and regulations' do nothing to reassure you of the quality of the other patrons as 'anyone found using drugs on the premises with be reported to the Police'. Hmmm!

However, no landlord will be able to improve this crumbling old wreck unless they have endless funds and the client group to support this venture. Sadly I can see the inevitable irreversible decay of the property over the next few years.

Room Tip: Do not bother to stay in this hotel, there are some lovely farmhouse B+B's just up the road.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Louise_W888

Reviewed 1 December 2013

where do I begin? It really is the worst hotel we ve stayed in. The curtains were falling down, only one shut, the wall paper was ripped and needed painting, the radiator was stuck on full and the bed was pushed against this, the window only opened about 6 inches, we were expected to use the pub toilets during the night and for washing the next morning, the sink was blocked with tissue paper, there was a towel on our bed but I don't know where I was supposed to use it, no bin in the room, tea and coffee were on the next floor up, nobody was around when we left,I think they were still in bed at 9 am, the only light in the room was stuck in the corner and was probably only 40 watts, bare wires sticking out of the ceiling.
When we checked in we had to pay upfront before we saw the rooms, I m sure thats because everybody who saw the rooms would decline them.
horrible place. Do the owners ever read these reviews?

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank albertmooka
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel pub. Being a construction worker I approached this hotel with a tough it out mentality, but ended up switching in the end. I have been on construction sites with carpets less dusty! How is this hotel aloud to continue?! I couldn't wash my hands let alone shower because guess what, there was no hot water either. Wouldn't ask my enemy to stay here!

Room Tip: Stay at the Crowne and Scepter instead.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Matt C
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I normally pride myself on undertaking some research on any endeavour I undertake whether it is a journey, a work project or a holiday. In this case I could curse myself for assuming that The Hop Pole Hotel, Bromyard would be similar good value for money as the other many hotels that I have stayed in. I t wasn't and this review is a warning that the only one night of the year this "hotel" would it be approprate to stay in is Hallowe'en. Yes, it is that horrific...

You may be seduced by the budget price, the central location and free parking. Don't be.

When I unwittingly entered I was demanded payment upfront. I hadn't seen the room but paid upfront. Hindsight tells me why the staff are so keen to get the money off you. If you saw the goods beforehand you would run screaming onto the streets.

I was given a key with the quaint name "Spinning Dog" wriitten on it and ushered up two flights of tired old stairs. On reaching the landing I nearly disappeared through a hole in the floorboards covered by centuries old carpet. No wonder the poor dog was spinning.

Outside myy room was a table with a set of mugs, ajar of budget coffee, a kettle and a sugar pole with a host of sticky spoons in it. Presentation was not a strong point. A belief in communal sharing was, however.

The room itself was filthy. It had not been cleaned. There were layers of caked on grime on skirting boards, light switches, plug sockets and on the many stained carpet which again was covering dips and holes in the floorboards. The colour of the walls were varying degrees of yellow and there was wallpaper hanging off the ceiling. The curtain pole was hanging down as the screws were coming out. The double bed without a headboard was squashed up against the second floor window. As this was advertised as a family room, a child could easily have clambered up and fallen out of the window which had been left wide open. That's if he hadn't been hit on the head by the hanging curtain pole first. In the room there was no TV and the wi-fi that was advertised could only be accessed if you sat in the corner of the room nearest the door. On the door was a notice that any drug use would be dealt with. Nice.

Time to investigate the toilet facilities. Oh dear. Down a precarious trip down the corridor( more holes and slopes) was the bathroom, shared by the whole floor of five plus rooms. It was a disgrace. Filthy, black in places with an execrement stained toilet. Pubes of many different origins lay on the bath floor. No towels. It was disgusting. I wouldn't put my dog in this bath. In my room the only washing facilities was a pink sink circa 1965 without a plug to stop the flow of cold water- thnere was no hot.

The room made me itch. I felt things jump onto my face and quickly jump off again. I can only conclude fleas were my non-rent paying room mates. And who can blame them?.

Something told me that I would not get my money back but I have complained to Local Authority and Booking Agent with the photos I took as evidence. Please don't go here. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy....

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Rachael L
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Turned up to the Hop Pole excited for a nice night away after looking at the photos on booking.com and it couldn't have been further from that! The photos on the booking website were lovely, the actual room was nothing like that. We booked a double room and when we got there, it had two horrible metal double bunk beds in which took up the whole room. The wall paper was coming off the walls, there were no towels or soap and to top it off, there was no hot water and the shower was broken! It was a shared bathroom, which had puddles of water all over the floor... walking back from the bathroom to the actual room was like a death trap as well as the floorboards are creaky and all broken underneath the carpet.
We ended up both agreeing we could not sleep there so we went and asked for a refund. We paid in cash and were told we couldn't have our money back and that we would have to ring some woman who is in control of the bookings regarding our refund. We left empty handed and rang the number we were given the next day to be spoken to like a 12 year old and barely were even given a chance to speak, before being hung up on! The service we received was horrendous, it wouldn't have been so bad if we could have just got our money back but the stress of trying to sort it out afterwards was definitely not needed. In the end I had to drive 25 miles back to the hotel to pick up my cash which we were told we couldn't have back the night before, total waste of my time, money and petrol and overall an absolute stress. This place should not be allowed to rent rooms in the state that it is in and I would not recommend it to anyone. I have reported it and would warn anyone off staying here especially with children.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Hayley G
Reviewed 30 September 2013

What a let down......rooms nothing like pictures. Budget price but room scruffy, musty, no towels, one bathroom for 10 rooms and it is awful. New young tenant managers too busy to do much it seems and said it was much worse when they came in. Pub itself has such potential and position in Bromyard is excellent, a great pity all round. Needs substantial investment.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank janice T
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I have reported this hovel to the local council and in the process of getting my money back.
They had turned off all fire alarms, bet place is filthy and the staff don't care
Should not be offered on booking.com

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family