“Reduced me to tears” 1 of 5 bubbles

The Falcon Hotel
Ranked #15 of 23 Restaurants in Bromyard
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Reduced me to tears”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

I didn't stay here (thank goodness) but attended an event in the bar in the afternoon. A few of us decided to stay for food as it looked tastey and good value. I asked a simple question when ordering a was told by the landlord in a whiney, shouty voice 'I don't know!' I was rather taken aback, and asked if he was the landlord. He carried on in his quite aggressive way saying things like 'he's just an old man and can't be expected to know about the menu' and how I should read it properly myself. When I asked why he was being so aggressive with me he said he 'was just trying to shut me up and stop me asking questions'.I was so upset by the incident that I went outside and cried! I also witnessed the landlady telling off a young member of staff infront of customers.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank f-gasted

Worcester, United Kingdom
“A joke”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

10/10 for hilarity value. Ordered belly pork, after an inordinately long wait it arrived with no crackling, this after being treated to a row between the owner and the porter, when doors were banged, loud shouts and thumping feet. when I sent the meal back, I was offered another meal, however I overheard a neighbour asking for something to be told that Silvia didn't know how long it would take. I decided not to take the chance. Attitude of Silvia and John, was that the customers were a nuisance. Friend had a beautiful beef sandwich, but Fawlty Towers was the name that came to mind for us. !

• Visited March 2013
4 Thank 908trish908
Hobart, Australia
“Generous servings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

Went in for a light lunch which is what we ordered but the servings for six pounds each were so generous we will not cook this evening. A good choice of non standard fare. I had Moroccan duck with couscous. The service was also good. When a group of six arrived and there was no tables in the bar they showed them into the restaurant.

• Visited August 2012
Comptche, California
“More Silvia Fawlty Victims”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

Best thing I can say about this place is it might well be worth it for the amusement value. We ate dinner there and have been chuckling over it ever since. When we entered the lounge bar, there was no one serving, but Silvia (recognized her immediately I read the previous postings) was sitting in a comfy chair with her leg elevated. "I can't help you," she announced, "I have to keep off this leg." "John will help you at the bar." But all could plainly see there was no John. Eventually, Silvia intimidated another guest to go out and ring the hotel reception bell to summon John. Shortly after, he came out and sold me two drinks. I asked for the dinner menu, and waited for about 10 min for him to return with one. He didn't, and meanwhile Silvia simply chatted away with a friend. Eventually, I gave up and took our drinks over to my wife. Oddly, she had the menu. John had left me waiting at the bar, but gone around through another entrance to give her a menu, leaving me stranded. And needless to say, Silvia didn't advise me of this. What could be more of a Fawlty Towers farce than this? Things then looked up for a while. John came back and took our orders, vegetable curry for my wife, and spicy duck for me. Then we waited. And we waited. After about a half hour, on my way back from the gents, I saw my wife being bundled into the dining room. She had been told we couldn't eat in the bar and must sit in the restaurant, which we dutifully did. Then we waited some more. Eventually Silvia emerged from the kitchen and screamed "you're at the wrong table!" Mmmm? There were precisely two tables laid up for two and we had fairly arbitrarily picked one. 50/50 chance I'd say, but we lost. We slinked over to the "right" table, which Silvia explained "is closer to the kitchen." Actually, it isn't. It's two paces further. I checked. And, it's a tiny room, but nonetheless clearly closer to the kitchen than the bar. Silvia hobbled out from the kitchen with our meals, which she served with a mouthwatering "that's the duck, this is the curry" explanation. Food was mediocre. It lay somewhere in the middle of that large grey domain between nourishment and enjoyment. The spicy duck consisted of 4 dry duck drumsticks devoid, as far as I could tell, of any spices. It came with a nice couscous though, with pumpkin and flax seeds. Healthy and tasty. The curry was too sweet but edible. When we asked for our bill, we were told we could certainly have it, if we went to the hotel reception. We did and paid up. Two people, two drinks, two one plate meals required us to sit at three different tables, suffer a long wait at the bar, and pay in two separate locations. On the bright side, the Falcon is a great old building, and the whole experience cost us only £18.20. I doubt there's better entertainment value anywhere in Bromyard.

• Visited August 2012