“Quirky”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bromyard
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Quirky”
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Yes, Basil Fawlty is still alive and living in Bromyard, both as Sylvia and John. The hotel is tired in parts but so am I and I am not nearly so old. Despite their manner and outward appearance the owners do all they can to make sure guests are comfortable and well fed. The rooms are all individual and the whole place is full of character. I stay in hotels on business most weeks and The Falcon is a welcome change to the bland corporate image of chains.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank drewsworld

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
france
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I stay often in chain hotels and this little gem is such an antidote to the sterility of the mass produced variety. The owners are fun, wry, quirky and helpful. We wanted for nothing. The property is ancient half timbered giving that 'country pub' ambience. Don't give your money to the corporations when this is the alternative. The absolute real deal if you happen to be in that neck of the woods. Loved it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DiNola
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2013

I actually got married October 2011 but couldn't not justify leaving an honest review after reading about another couples experience. Yes, the owners could be compared to "faulty towers" but Sylvia does know how to organise an event. We had 2 meetings with them prior to the wedding day, the first to look around the venue, then to confirm numbers and our menu's. Yes she was a little forward in her thinking however we told he exactly what we wanted and she gave it us.

We chose to have our reception in the Mews and fantastic medieval banqueting hall. We were able to come in the day before and decorate the tables, but the only thing they were concerned about was the balloons as getting them down from the ceiling is a nightmare. We did win this battle! I did read about people wanting table clothes be really they would spoil the feel of the room. It was a amazing and unique venue, a good sized patio area and a lawn area for photos.

The food was excellent, we chose a 3 course buffet and it was very reasonably priced. We had orderves and champagne on arrival (and tea and coffee). This was Sylvia's idea to keep guests happy whilst the photographer was at work. We even chose our own real ales and beers for the bar in the mews, lots of venues you get what you are given.

I can not fault our reception, it was well organised and we felt at ease. We had a fantastic day and wouldn't change anything if we did it all over again. My only error was not booking a room earlier, we ended up staying in another hotel because my guests had got in their before me. However they all said that they were lovely rooms and breakfast was great. I would certainly recommend this venue to others.

we did have a lot of children at our wedding, there wasn't any play facilities but we made up party packs and with the DJ they were very entertained.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Leominster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Went here on the 18th November 2012.We had a lovely welcome on arrival.We were shown to the lounge where we ordered our drinks which was then brought to us.After about 10minutes we were shown to the dining room where we all had a lovely lunch and dessert.Staff was brilliant.We would go there again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2013

Stayed at the Falcon after a gap of some months and it was like being reunited with an old friend. Wonderful, atmospheric building, great bar selection, superb food (where else can you get 5 main course options with game?) and free cabaret that lived up to the "Fawlty Towers" billing. Of course I'll be back - you can't beat this package for value and entertainment!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank GarfieldOK
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Stayed for 1 night, looking back our stay was ok but some of the comments do resinate with us. We feel that on this trip " we got away with it ". The building is full of character, yes fixtures and fittings are on the tired side but clean and functional. We ate there on the evening, the only one`s in the resturant, food was good and two courses were filling enough. Our only complaint was that the double bed in Room 7 was small and not very comfortable. Great location and parking is a real boon.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BILLP659
Tamworth
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My wife and I had read the reviews regarding this venue and it filled us with dread, but we thought we would approach it with our usual sense of humour, as it was a family celebration.

The booking in process with Sylvia went well without any problems and she swapped rooms with two people in our party due to one of the persons not being too steady on her feet.

We were allocated our room (Room 5) at the front of the hotel, this was overlooking the High Street, it was small with one wardrobe, a small television (without a remote control), the bathroom was the same size as the bedroom, it had a bath, but didn’t have a shower, the sink had a hot and cold tap (as you would expect), but when you ran the cold tap, the water came out hot (that I didn’t expect).

We had the family function in the ballroom, it was a decent size for our party, I would say we had forty guests, sat around five decent sized round tables. Prior to being seated Sylvia was taking the food order, fair play to her she did this without too much fuss, a proper female Sergeant Major, and to be honest it needs a strong character if taking orders for forty guests.

My wife and I had the prawns (Atlantic and fresh) in a Marie Rose sauce and a salad; it was a good portion and tasted great, a good start to the meal. For the main meal my wife went for the Roast Beef and Yorkshire pudding and I settled for the Salmon and wilted spinach and crushed new potatoes, the portion again was generous, the salmon was cooked to perfection, the crushed new potatoes were very tasty and had a tang to them, but the spinach was gritty, which was a pity as it looked great and tasted great but the grit killed it. The Roast Beef and Yorkshire pudding (and that was a massive Yorkshire pudding) was very good and we didn’t get any complaints on our table, there was also a large dish of mixed vegetables and potatoes. There were also two other options on the menu, Pheasant (the Mother in law had this and thought it was really good) and a mushroom strudel, can’t report on that one I’m afraid to say.

The deserts again were generous sized portions, my wife had the crumble with custard and I went for the home made ice cream, my portion was very big, two portions of home made ice cream (coconut with cherry and also chocolate), they also put on a flapjack, I couldn’t finish it, neither could one of the fellow guests, but it was very good. One thing I will say is that Sylvia sorted out my brother in law with cream instead of custard with his crumble, she did say there could be an issue, but she sorted it.

My partner and I had a nightcap in the bar before retiring to bed, the lounge is nice and quite cosy and John served us with our drinks and we had a chat with Sylvia.

The bed was very hard as were the pillows, but the big issue was during the night with the BMVC (Bromyard Male Voice Choir), one they couldn’t sing and two they started up many times during the night, the last performance was at 4:15am, to say my sleep as well as my partners was disturbed, would be an understatement, also you could hear every footstep as people walked/staggered off home.

The breakfast the following morning took place in the dining room at the front of the hotel, you could start off with fruit, fruit juice and cereals and then move onto a full cooked breakfast (Sylvia took the orders for this) and did it with a quirky sense of humour, also you could have kippers and either poached or scrambled eggs, and there was loads of toast brought over by John.

The breakfast was excellent and set us up for the day.

On whole the stay was very good, but I would advise people to try and stay at the rear of the hotel, the floors are uneven so you have to watch that with the elderly and also they haven’t got a lift, there is parking at the rear of the hotel, the entrance is a bit tight and it looks as if one or two cars have had prangs getting in and out of there.

Sylvia and John do work hard, as they didn’t finish till very late and were up serving breakfast first thing in the morning, as well as their young staff.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room overlooking the High Street, as the noise will keep you awake.