“A great place for a large group event”
Review of The Grove Hotel

The Grove Hotel
“A great place for a large group event”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We hosted 150 people for our annual Client Symposium. Feedback was universally positive from all delegates. The venue is simultaneously classy and functional. A great choice. The Library Bar was an amazing venue for one evening's drinks. The art collection is provocative. We only missed spending time amongst the grounds due to the weather.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear alxandl,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for choosing The Grove as the venue for your event. I am delighted to hear that your delegates had positive feedback and I hope we will see you again soon, with better weather!

Jonathan Critchard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a conference which in many ways was perfect as the facilities were functional however it all seemed to lack character and the wow factor I would expect that goes with such a fabulous looking facility. The main conference area has two pillars which unless you are careful with the staging can prove quite an obstacle. The food served for breakfast , lunch and dinner was ok but again nothing to excite in fact it was all quite ordinary. Bedrooms are comfortable and the massive tv a real treat as are the views over the grounds. Didn't get a chance to use the golf course but I do know its a good one. In summary I would say this is a 4 star product and service inside a deluxe facility

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear PaulWait,
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you felt your experience did not met your expectations. I hope we will be able to welcome you again in the near future, possibly for a round of golf, and leave you with a more positive impression of The Grove.

Solihull
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We stayed at the Grove for our daughters birthday as we wanted to go to the Warner Brothers Harry Potter studio tour. The hotel sells a Harry Potter package which includes tickets, an overnight stay and breakfast.
The location of the hotel is beautiful, taking an imposing position on the top of a hill. The internal decoration is modern and clean and I had high expectations walking in. The country feel continues throughout the hotel with canvas photos of farmyard animals and perspex tables containing models of cows, duck etc.
The hotel bedroom is lovely, with ample space, tea making, robes and a luxurious roll tap bath.
Our experience booking the hotel was rather mixed. I had booked online and there were no instructions on what to do about the Harry Potter tickets. I rang the hotel and was told someone would ring me later in the week. I actually received 3 phone calls, one to book the HP tickets, each of the others asking me if I had wanted to book a dining table. I had also done that online but it seems that the system in the hotel doesn't link the bookings very effectively. Even when we arrived at the hotel, I was asked the same question and when we got to the room, there was no bed for our daughter despite this being confirmed in an earlier phone call. The hotel would benefit from rectifying this as it left me with a sense of uncertainty that our arrangements had been made accurately.
There are plenty of food options - we ate lunch in the lounge (soup, salads, sandwiches) and then dinner in the Stables. The food was excellent in all. The Stables is the place where everyone with kids goes - children under 16 are sadly not allowed in the star attraction restaurant (Collettes). Our daughter is 9 and she was one of the oldest in the Stables restaurant - it was full of younger children and whilst the staff were brilliant with all of them, the restaurant did feel like one of those at an exclusive children only hotel. There is no mid ground for the 'in between age'. This feeling also continued into the pool area. The children's pool really is for younger children, and children over 12 can use the adult pool (when open) between certain hours. As a consequence, our 9 year old really didn't fit into either option.
The Games Room however was a hit - with free pinball, PS3 racing game and table football. It is only small though and after 20 minutes of opening, there were too many people for it to be comfortable. The hotel does also have bikes for use.
Breakfast in the Glasshouse buffet was excellent with one of the more diverse selections of food (including black pudding!).
All the staff were great, particularly Jack the doorman who couldn't do more to help us.
It's very convenient for HP so a good base, if not a bit pricy and perhaps could do a little more to bridge the age gap of the children likely to love the HP experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear SolihullPetal,
Thank you for taking the time to post your extensive review of The Grove. I am delighted that you were able to enjoy the nearby Warner Bros Studio Tour as part of your visit to The Grove. I hope we are able to welcome you again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

What a return visit to The Grove - just absolute luxury without being up yourself. It is a must for a weekend - great spa, great golf, great staff, great food - only thing not great 1) Pillows, if you need a firmer pillow bring your own 2) Coffee in the morning was "sacky" - not something you would normally taste test but it did tweak it away from perfection. BTW if you like kippers do ask for them at breakfast - some of the best i have ever tasted.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear spoony42,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Grove. I am pleased to advise you that we offer a range of pillows, simply call Housekeeping to arrange. We have also very recently changed our coffee making facilities in The Glasshouse which has already been very well received. I hope we will hit perfection on your next visit!

London
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Unbelieveable that The Grove is so close to London and easily accessible, it really is London's Country Estate!! I can't believe I've never thought about staying here before, when wanting a break from the city.

Upon arrival at The Grove, you drive through the grounds and golf course and by the time you reach the hotel, you've already begun to switch off from the hustle and bustle of normality as you step into Luxury.

You are welcomed by well polished, polite and welcoming staff who're quick to get your bags and whisk you to reception to check you in. My room in the Mansion part of the hotel, surpassed my expectations and was such a treat, beautifully designed with a contemporary edge whilst completely fitting in with the grandeur of the original building. The bathroom also didn't disappoint, spacious, big bath with a brilliant powerful shower, no chance of not waking up!!

The other thing that really interested me, is the artwork that is on display throughout the hotel and again blends in.

Although not making time to fully experience the spa, the swimming pool is a must and again thoughtful design, with a black mosaic-tiled swimming pool, which is a very good size for a hotel pool.

I definitely hope to visit again and plan my time a little better, and borrow one of the hotel bikes and explore the grounds. There really is something for everyone here.

The Grove really is a haven of tranquility and is a must visit.

Room Tip: Book a room in The Mansion
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear WH1973,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your wonderful review of The Grove. I am so pleased you were able to enjoy a fantastic birthday weekend at The Grove and I look forward to welcoming you again in the very near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

The Grove were an absolute delight to work with on the preparations for our wedding, and of course during the day itself. Beautiful grounds, faultless service and filled with 'little extras' to make the experience even more memorable for us - e.g. the fresh flowers throughout the communal areas of the hotel had been specially matched to our colour scheme. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Amy191013,
Thank you for your kind review of The Grove. I am so pleased we were able to host your special day. I will share your kind words with our Social Events team and look forward to welcoming you back to The Grove very soon.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Amazing weekend had at The Grove Country Club & Spa! It was my wife's birthday & on the back of a recommendation from a friend we headed down to check The Grove out. From the very first turn into The Grove's country estate drive-way & the first sight of the Hotel on the hill & the lovely gentleman on the valet-parking desk.. we felt very looked after & very relaxed to be there. Our room was well appointed on the ground floor & looked out into the gardens & The Stables/ Golf Club House. The gardens are immaculate. Check in was easy & the staff are all very relaxed & efficient. We took dinner at The Stables restaurant & the food & atmosphere was everything we wanted, even with our 6 month old baby daughter in tow, we had a great evening! The Spa is world class & a definite must. Thank you so much for a great memory.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Paul S,
Thank you for taking the time to post your excellent review of The Grove. I am so pleased we were able to welcome you and your family, and hope we will have the pleasure of your company again very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler's Cross
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Jurys Inn London Watford

Been to The Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!