“Ruined my birthday!”

The Grove Hotel
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
“Ruined my birthday!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

We have dined at The Grove a number of times, my partner has played golf several times and we also had a lovely spa afternoon & afternoon tea 2 years ago this was also at Christmas and after a lovely spa we enjoyed afternoon tea in the main building which was wonderful, gorgeous setting. After our past great experiences my partner booked another afternoon tea package for my birthday. When I rang to book we were told quite a few of the facilities would be closed due to refurbishment, although disappointed we still wanted to come at xmas time and I therefore just allowed an hour for the pool & sauna before the massage booking. When we arrived we were informed that it had been decided that all the facilities had remained open, we were not telephoned and informed of this so that we could amend times but no apology was made. We were re shown around and told that afternoon tea was served in what can only be described as a small meeting room, my partner had booked this based on the experience we had previously afternoon tea in lovely setting! By this time we were a bit fed up and the shine had been taken off so we asked to see the manager a lady whom can only be described as unwarm & unsympathetic certainly not the attitude of a person working for such a well thought of establishment (we both thought this). She said we had obviously previously booked a special offer package (we hadn't my partner had bkd the same package) in fact last time we had waited in the 'meeting room' and were told that we shouldn't be in there afternoon tea was served in the main building! There was no apology just that is must have been us booking a different package previously! She offered that we could cancel the afternoon tea & use the spa facilities, not such a great offer when we had 40 mins left to use the facilities and the massage alone is £125 and the afternoon tea package is £150 and then she said 'Happy Birthday'! In addition my partner had already paid upfront for our packages nearly a year ago nobody even bothered to check at the desk whether we had vouchers (even though at booking I told them we had them & they told me to bring them?) and the manager assumed we hadn't paid, we actually had to then spend 10minutes ringing Barclays to confirm the money had indeed been taken out. By this time we didn't even want to go ahead but the manager wouldn't come out again as she was 'in a meeting' however she spoke to staff on the phone and told them our option would be to have the package another day. So annoying as it was my birthday we had both taken the day off work and were so looking forward to it after our prior experiences. We did also go to the main building to see if a general manager was around and there wasn't, although the manager that was there was nicer he didn't seem to have much authority as he was the hotel side although he did manage to refund us. In summary The Grove is a lovely place with a good reputation we used to rave about our past experiences! It's such a shame some of the staff are not as lovely unfortunately. So disappointing that our great view of The Grove has been ruined along with my birthday so just beware!

• Stayed December 2013
5 Thank Lou S
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear Lou S,
Thank you for your review and for the loyalty you have shown The Grove over the last few years. I am sorry to read that on this occasion we didn't meet your expectations. Having spoken with the Spa team, I understand that on this occasion you purchased a different package to your initial visit and whilst we did our best to accommodate you and serve afternoon tea in our Mansion Lounges, we did not have the availability at the time. Unfortunately, you left without the team being able to discuss this further with you. I do hope we will be able to welcome you again in the near future and place The Grove fondly in your hearts.

Jonathan Critchard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

Very well presented but for the room rate I was expecting something a bit more special then the standard of an average Hilton. Room was very nice but not as good quality as you might expect. Food quality in the Glass House restaurant was very good. The service was attentive but average.
Wouldn't hurry back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Alan P
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear Alan P,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Grove. I am sorry we didn't exceed your expectations on this visit, but hope we may welcome you again soon. The Grove has a number of room categories and restaurants to choose from, and a member of our reservations team would be delighted to help guide you through the options to make your next stay all the more memorable.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

I was lucky enough to stay at The Grove for 2 nights at the beginning of November and it was absolutely superb. Looking forward to having the opportunity to stay there again. No wonder it is the favourite place to stay for the England Football team.

Room Tip: Visit the pool and spa, swimming in a Black pool is incredible!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Jonathan S,
Thank you for posting your kind review of The Grove following your stay with us in November. I look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

My husband and I visited it the Grove, staying overnight and dining in Colette's back in March 2013 for a special occasion, the Grove was a true 5* experience all round! A milestone birthday made all the more special with a number of very much appreciated extra touches, the occasion was certainly noted by the hotel.

During our stay we experienced a small issue which I can only say was dealt with in true 5* star fashion. John McLeans professionalism and efficiency in responding was just first class.

We returned this month (December 2013) with friends for a Christmas celebration in the Glasshouse and once again had a fantastic evening!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Boksrose,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Grove. I will share your kind words with the team and hope we may have the pleasure of your company again soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

I first went to the Grove in December 2012 for afternoon tea. I was so impressed that I have returned three times-one spa break with my girlfriends, one spa break with my partner and dinner at Collette's restaurant. Each visit did not disappoint

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Ambler-London2,
Thank you for taking the time to post your kind review of The Grove. I am so pleased we have been able to welcome you back so frequently over the last 12 months and hope we will see you again in 2014!

munich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

was at the Grove for a conference, wish I had booked for the weekend. Room (with a view) was lovely, had a massage that was expert, staff were very pleasant and friendly. Various buffet items very well done. Hope to go back again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear jdsMunich,
Thank you for posting your review following your business trip to The Grove. I hope we may have the pleasure of your company again soon when I hope you might have a little longer to relax and unwind in our wonderful surroundings.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

I stayed at The Grove during an offsite meeting with my team, and everything was close to perfection. Spacious, clean rooms, with warm lighting and comfortable beds. Nice and airy bathrooms with little amenities and a good power shower / bath tub. Breakfast was simply delicious, a buffet bursting with fantastic fresh food and an incredible variety as well as hot food freshly prepared! All the food we had was great: the dinner at the Stables, the breakfast and the lunch. Service was pretty spot on; we held a 6.5-hour-meeting on the first day and had food and drinks served in the room in no time with no hassle. All in all it felt like a tiny holiday although it was a work trip. I hope I will return soon privately, and with enough time to try the spa as well :).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Boelli71,
Thank you for taking the time to post your excellent review of The Grove. I will be delighted to share your comments with the team and hope we will see you again soon for business or pleasure!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler's Cross
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Jurys Inn London Watford

Been to The Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!