We have dined at The Grove a number of times, my partner has played golf several times and we also had a lovely spa afternoon & afternoon tea 2 years ago this was also at Christmas and after a lovely spa we enjoyed afternoon tea in the main building which was wonderful, gorgeous setting. After our past great experiences my partner booked another afternoon tea package for my birthday. When I rang to book we were told quite a few of the facilities would be closed due to refurbishment, although disappointed we still wanted to come at xmas time and I therefore just allowed an hour for the pool & sauna before the massage booking. When we arrived we were informed that it had been decided that all the facilities had remained open, we were not telephoned and informed of this so that we could amend times but no apology was made. We were re shown around and told that afternoon tea was served in what can only be described as a small meeting room, my partner had booked this based on the experience we had previously afternoon tea in lovely setting! By this time we were a bit fed up and the shine had been taken off so we asked to see the manager a lady whom can only be described as unwarm & unsympathetic certainly not the attitude of a person working for such a well thought of establishment (we both thought this). She said we had obviously previously booked a special offer package (we hadn't my partner had bkd the same package) in fact last time we had waited in the 'meeting room' and were told that we shouldn't be in there afternoon tea was served in the main building! There was no apology just that is must have been us booking a different package previously! She offered that we could cancel the afternoon tea & use the spa facilities, not such a great offer when we had 40 mins left to use the facilities and the massage alone is £125 and the afternoon tea package is £150 and then she said 'Happy Birthday'! In addition my partner had already paid upfront for our packages nearly a year ago nobody even bothered to check at the desk whether we had vouchers (even though at booking I told them we had them & they told me to bring them?) and the manager assumed we hadn't paid, we actually had to then spend 10minutes ringing Barclays to confirm the money had indeed been taken out. By this time we didn't even want to go ahead but the manager wouldn't come out again as she was 'in a meeting' however she spoke to staff on the phone and told them our option would be to have the package another day. So annoying as it was my birthday we had both taken the day off work and were so looking forward to it after our prior experiences. We did also go to the main building to see if a general manager was around and there wasn't, although the manager that was there was nicer he didn't seem to have much authority as he was the hotel side although he did manage to refund us. In summary The Grove is a lovely place with a good reputation we used to rave about our past experiences! It's such a shame some of the staff are not as lovely unfortunately. So disappointing that our great view of The Grove has been ruined along with my birthday so just beware!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grove, London's country estate, is more than a five-star hotel. Set in 300 acres and only 18 miles from central London, the former home of the Earls of Clarendon is also a luxury 18-hole golf resort, a fabulous spa and unique venue for meetings, weddings and celebrations. Also included in The Grove's extensive facilities are three restaurants including Colette’s, awarded three AA rosettes. A 4acre Walled Garden with urban beach, tennis courts and outdoor pool. A selection of bike and jogging trials to enjoy with complimentary bike hire; and Anouska’s Kids’ Club, graded outstanding by OFSTED makes The Grove a parent and child-friendly resort. Lovingly restored to stunning effect, the property fuses contemporary design and original period architecture with exceptionally caring and professional service. We look forward to welcoming you soon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Lastminute, Booking.com, Agoda, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Grove Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grove Chandlers Cross
- Grove Hotel Chandlers Cross
- The Grove Hotel Hertfordshire, UK