My Wife and I decided to have a romantic night in the Grove for our 2nd Wedding Anniversary. We booked a standard double room.
When we arrived we were shown to a twin room overlooking the car park. We asked for the correct room (double) to be provided. The reception told us to have a drink in the bar and they would call us when the correct room was available. After 2 hours and over £50 worth of drinks later (a few gin and tonics and a bowl of olives), we still had no call. So we called the reception from the Stables bar and were promptly told our room was ready. The problem was it was the original room. After a further 20mins, we finally were asked to attend reception for the keys to our correct room. However on arrival to the room, we did not find our bags. We then called reception again and were told the bags were already in the room. Turns out they went to the original incorrect room. After waiting a further 20mins, we finally settled into our room. By this time we had to rush around to fit in the relaxing Spa we desired, before going to the fine dining restaurant for dinner. The food and service at the restaurant were great although the plate sizes were atrocious. I've been to plenty of actual Michelin Star Restaurants all over the world and never have I eaten so little during a service. A £12 plate of cheese consists of half a thin slice of your cheese of choice and a token tea spoon of sorbet. Plus points are that the Se-million was knowledgeable and very helpful.
Would I stay their again? Yes probably, but I would be more forceful to ensure I received the service I have paid so dearly to acquire. I didn't complain during this trip, for fear of ruining our special day.
Last and final comment. Why did I have to walk so far from my room, up and down so many stairs and corridors to reach the Spa? Never have I been into a hotel where the trek to the Spa has been so long.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grove, London's country estate, is more than a five-star hotel. Set in 300 acres and only 18 miles from central London, the former home of the Earls of Clarendon is also a luxury 18-hole golf resort, a fabulous spa and unique venue for meetings, weddings and celebrations. Also included in The Grove's extensive facilities are three restaurants including Colette’s, awarded three AA rosettes. A 4acre Walled Garden with urban beach, tennis courts and outdoor pool. A selection of bike and jogging trials to enjoy with complimentary bike hire; and Anouska’s Kids’ Club, graded outstanding by OFSTED makes The Grove a parent and child-friendly resort. Lovingly restored to stunning effect, the property fuses contemporary design and original period architecture with exceptionally caring and professional service. We look forward to welcoming you soon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Grove Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grove Chandlers Cross
- Grove Hotel Chandlers Cross
- The Grove Hotel Hertfordshire, UK