“Relaxing break”

The Grove Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“Relaxing break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

This is the 4th time we have stayed at the Grove and we weren't disappointed. The Spa sleepover package makes an otherwise pricy hotel a good value deal. We were greeted warmly and promptly checked in (even though we were early) - the walks were beautiful , as was sitting by the fire and chilling out. I had a fab massage - no conveyor-belt style treatment there, and the food was plentiful and to a high-standard. I would improve on things by seating families with children in one area of the restaurant as it does feel a bit chaotic- and perhaps offer an early seating for dinner so that couples and groups without children can enjoy a more tranquil evening. All in all a great time to have a break over the Christmas period - and with such a short journey and so much to do it certainly beats dealing with motorways or airports. Thanks v much.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear ATM2014,
Thank you for your kind review of The Grove. I am delighted you were able to enjoy a relaxing and attentive spa break with us. I will share your comments with our Food & Beverage Director with regards to family seating, and hope we will be able to welcome you again to The Grove very soon.

Jonathan Critchard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

We LOVE The Grove Hotel... this was our latest visit to this delightful hotel, having visited many times for meals and stays in the hotel.
We love that one can walk around the extensive grounds, golf course and canal... it is just such a pleasure.
We love the selection of different restaurants in different settings and locations. All offering outstanding meals..!
We love the original manor house with its very tastefully arranged and decorated drawing rooms, reception rooms and lounges... all with genuine log fires, a must in the cold damp British winter.
We love the large well appointed and furnished bedrooms and bathrooms.

A fantastic hotel..!!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the garden
Dear JoeOutAndAbout,
Thank you for your excellent review of The Grove. I am delighted we were able to welcome you back to The Grove and you had a wonderful time once again with us. I do hope we will have the pleasure of your company again soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

I visited The Glasshouse on a Saturday lunchtime. We had a buffet lunch which had an excellent choice of seafood, meat, salads, cheese and desserts. The service was prompt and courteous. The grounds are immaculate and would definitely visit again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear PriyaS89,
Thank you for taking the time to post your excellent review of The Glasshouse at The Grove. I am delighted you had a wonderful lunch with us and enjoyed the exceptional choice on offer. I hope we will be able to welcome you again soon.

Burnham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Just returned from a 2 night stay at The Grove and attended the Amber New Year's Eve Party last night. Absolutely brilliant. Over the years, we have attended a number of "New Year's Eve House Parties" at other leading hotels in the UK and this party was by far the best. Even though the party was quite large – 350 people approx, I think, service was attentive and slick. Every member of the team that we met and dealt with was determined to ensure that guests were given individual attention and ensure that all had a good time. This is true of the whole experience from the reservation process, greeting of guests on arrival, check in / out process etc.

When we first came down for the Champagne Reception we were surprised to see a number of children in attendance, which we weren't expecting, but in fact this actually worked really, really well and I think added to the fun and spirit of the evening.

Overall the party was fantastic and really, really enjoyable - excellent live band - full of energy and got everyone joining in -, fun entertainment, great fireworks and good food. I would highly recommend this New Year's event to anyone who wanted to have a great, fun time and we'll definitely be back next year! Thanks very much to all - a fantastic party organized and hosted by a great team.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Lesley M,
Thank you for choosing to spend New Year's Eve at The Grove and for posting your kind review. Having experienced a number of Leading Hotels of the World I am delighted you would consider to be the best. I will be delighted to share your kind words with the team, and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Biggleswade, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

My Wife and I decided to have a romantic night in the Grove for our 2nd Wedding Anniversary. We booked a standard double room.

When we arrived we were shown to a twin room overlooking the car park. We asked for the correct room (double) to be provided. The reception told us to have a drink in the bar and they would call us when the correct room was available. After 2 hours and over £50 worth of drinks later (a few gin and tonics and a bowl of olives), we still had no call. So we called the reception from the Stables bar and were promptly told our room was ready. The problem was it was the original room. After a further 20mins, we finally were asked to attend reception for the keys to our correct room. However on arrival to the room, we did not find our bags. We then called reception again and were told the bags were already in the room. Turns out they went to the original incorrect room. After waiting a further 20mins, we finally settled into our room. By this time we had to rush around to fit in the relaxing Spa we desired, before going to the fine dining restaurant for dinner. The food and service at the restaurant were great although the plate sizes were atrocious. I've been to plenty of actual Michelin Star Restaurants all over the world and never have I eaten so little during a service. A £12 plate of cheese consists of half a thin slice of your cheese of choice and a token tea spoon of sorbet. Plus points are that the Se-million was knowledgeable and very helpful.
Would I stay their again? Yes probably, but I would be more forceful to ensure I received the service I have paid so dearly to acquire. I didn't complain during this trip, for fear of ruining our special day.
Last and final comment. Why did I have to walk so far from my room, up and down so many stairs and corridors to reach the Spa? Never have I been into a hotel where the trek to the Spa has been so long.

Room Tip: To fully appreciate this hotel, you need to avoid a room in the new quarters. It is a terrible looki...
3 Thank RobertTwell
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear RobertTwell,
I am sorry to read of the trouble you had upon arrival at The Grove. Of course this is not how we wish to welcome any of our guests and I am pleased you were able to enjoy Sequoia (our spa) and Colette's during your stay. I do hope we may have the opportunity to serve you better in the near future.

Horsham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

We, having been given a given a night here complete with Dinner for Two at Nicole's, decided that we would use that as our Special Occasion treat. We called the Hotel to clarify when things were 'quiet', and having been guided to avoid both Christmas and New Year's Eve, chose a night in between.

Slightly amazed on arrival to find a packed car park - Oh well, maybe it was a late running Birthday party or Festive Golf Tournament.

Immediately on entering, we realised our mistake - wall-to-wall people, all of whom seemed to have hordes of young children in tow. Many of said people were having a late Tea, complete with
piles of cream cakes and champagne - Lucky !

To avoid this & since we had packed our Kit, we headed for the Spa & Gym. Found them eventually, having asked several members of staff, who were unsure of their whereabouts, but could confirm that they were organising a huge Christmas Party for the kids (around 100 - 150 of them). Then, absolutely amazed to be told we could not have a look at the facilities. Stunned. We left.

Have a pot of tea and relax, before changing for Dinner - great idea.

"Not possible. They are fully booked. Reservations only", we were told. Amazed and in complete disbelief, we asked a second person "Where can Residents get a pot of Tea ?" Right here, he responded and guided us into a lovely big room, right past the aforementioned member of staff.

Our Room, down a very dark and ill lit corridor, was very large, clean,but weirdly and eclectically furnished, with huge four poster bed, antique (looking, if not actual) chest of draws etc, walk-in closet, fridge, and a large cold drafty bathroom.

The weather outside was dire, so we had a brief walk round to the Golf Pro Shop. Greeted most warmly.

We then changed for Dinner and went directly to Nicole's. What a difference !! Warmly greeted walked through the Dinner Options, offered an Aperitif etc - we chose the Tasting Menu with accompanying wines. Absolutely superb.

Breakfast - what a shock to the system. Entrance bereft of a Hostess, strewn with baby walkers (25+) and total chaos, with staff completely overrun - counted 65+ children under 13.

I have nothing against Children of any age, but this was not the scenario we expected for a Special Occasion "quiet break", having checked specifically beforehand.

I did write to the GM and can confirm that we have been invited to stay again, so here's hoping that that Visit will be a massive improvement and that I will write a completely different Review - my preferred.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Safariholic
Dear Safariholic,
Thank you for your review. As you note, we have been able to discuss this matter offline and I look forward to welcoming you again in the near future when I hope you will have an experience that is more reflective of the high standards we set ourselves.

Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

We had a night at the Grove as my Christmas present, our first night away from our son in five years! Such a disappointment, had been really looking forward to it, but apparently zipping 2 single beds together so you have an extremely uncomfortable and painful zip down the middle of the bed is considered five star! Not in my book, then when you complain about it, they could not be less bothered. Would not stay there again in a fit. Worst night sleep ever, you would be better off in a travelodge.

3 Thank Sheena R
Dear Sheena R,
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you have felt the need to post your disappointing review, especially as I have endeavoured to contact you twice since you checked-out of The Grove without response. Unfortunately we were not made aware of your complaint until the morning, at which point it was very difficult to recover the situation. Your bed had been fitted with a mattress topper which should provide a smooth sleeping surface and initial investigations concluded that this had been fitted properly. I do hope we are able to welcome you again to The Grove in the near future for a more comfortable night's sleep.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler's Cross
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Jurys Inn London Watford

Been to The Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!