“ladies' lunch”
Review of The Grove Hotel

The Grove Hotel
Reviewed 3 February 2014

This was my third lunchtime visit to The Glasshouse. As ever, the food and setting were stunning and my friends who were visiting for the first time were very impressed. Why I haven't rated it 5 this time was because of the frankly, amateurish service. The waiting staff were all very willing but appeared to be untrained. I had to ask 3 times for our bottle of wine to be brought to our table and our glasses refilled. It made me feel like an alcoholic (and we only had 1 bottle between three of us)! They didn't appear to be aware what was going on around the room. I hope next time I go, things are back to normal.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear scooterlexmark9,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent visit to The Glasshouse at The Grove. I am sorry to hear you found the team to be slow to respond to your drinks order and I will discuss this with the team. I am pleased you have found the level of service and food to be good on previous visits and hope we will have the pleasure of your company again soon.

Jonathan Critchard

Write a ReviewReviews (2,865)

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Firstly I'd like to say that the two times we've stayed in the Grove were largely positive experiences - the rooms are very good (especially the bathrooms which contain huge 'tub' baths ideal for relaxation) and the room service delivered food has been excellent. However, on our last visit there was an incident where the door to the room balcony closed behind my wife and with no handle on the outside (and no warnings on the door) she was unable to get back in the room on a very cold and wet night. It was only luck that meant I returned to the room early that evening after an hour - otherwise she could have been out there for 5 hours!

I voiced my anger to the maintenance man, and again told the reception on leaving (as they seemed to be unaware). Their reaction to this serious incident was almost dismissive and quite lacking in appreciation of how much this had ruined our stay, and made no indication that they would bring it to the attention of management.

This review is a reflection of our experience because of this serious health and safety issue, and not a relection on the generally good quality of the hotel otherwise.

Room Tip: It's a long way to the lifts if you get put in some of the more distant rooms, so maybe try to r...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear TrevMira,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry to hear of the incident with the balcony door and for any undue stress caused to your wife. We are investigating this and looking into a solution to prevent this happening in future. I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and hope we may look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

We had Spa day with a 2 hour treatment when we arrived we were asked to fill out our menu requirements at by 11.30am so our lunch would be ready by 2pm, we went to the Garden Room for lunch at 1.50pm (no Garden in sight just an opening from the ground floor to the basement adorned with rubbish) at 2.10pm we ordered a drink by 2.30pm we were asked if we wanted our main course before our starter which we declined then at 2.40 we actually received our dinner and no starter, after which our drinks arrived at approximately 2.45pm as our treatments were at 2.55pm this was now a mad rush for no apparent reason. We then went to have our treatments i was told to wait in reception in my dressing gown for the 2.55pm appointment at 3.15pm i was just about to ask reception am i in the wrong place when the assistant carrying out the treatment arrived, i found this totally undignified sitting in the middle of reception in a dressing gown for 20mins with no explanation! Ending on a positive, the food when it did arrive was good, the Spa and the treatments were also good, but the service for a so called 5 Star hotel leaves a lot to be desired. Paul B.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Paul B,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Sequoia at The Grove. We are currently undergoing some refurbishment works in the spa, which should have been explained at time of booking, which has a small impact in some areas of the spa. This would explain the Garden Room view being temporarily obscured. I will discuss the delay in your lunch order with our spa team, however I am delighted you had a relaxing time and hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

We celebrated our mums 80th birthday for afternoon tea, and the whole experience from when we arrived was wonderful we were all made to feel very special especially mum from start to finish.
The food was excellent and the service was so attentive especially the waitress who looked after us with constant refills of delicious sandwiches, yummy cakes, warm scones and tea and coffee. The hotel was intimate and very cosy and nothing was too much trouble and we were not rushed at all. .
We all had a fabulous time and will definitely be visiting this stunning hotel again very soon

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Yve2014

Dear Yve2014,
Thank you for your excellent review following your recent afternoon tea at The Grove. I am delighted we were able to welcome you and your family for this special occasion and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Fabulous service and great food - beautiful surroundings - we had a great lunch at the Stables restaurant which is the more casual of the 3 at the Grove, the menu is varied and whether you want fish and chips or something more refined it is all covered. The staff were attentive and knowledgeable about the dishes on offer.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Olwen J,
thank you for taking the time to post your kind review of The Stables at The Grove. I am delighted you and your friends had a fabulous meal with us and I hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

The hotel itself is stunning and the staff were friendly and efficient. However, I have rated it as poor as a family destination. We had booked this for a family get away for the weekend as it promised to be a family friendly escape! It failed to deliver! Our plan had been for both myself and husband to use the spa at separate times whilst the other spent time with the children but this is only a venue to go to if you want to leave your children in the day care centre while you enjoy the spa. Firstly, you have to walk across 2 car parks to get to the children's centre and there is no footpath. There is a swimming pool for children there but there were no floats or toys or anything remotely fun. The only childrens slides and play areas are within the childrens centre so unless you dump your children there then they can't use them. We hired bikes and asked for cycle routes, we were pointed in one direction that said no access unless golfing and the other way was back through the car parks, basically they have kids bikes but no where for kids to ride them! We could not sit in the lounge in the afternoon with the children unless we paid for afternoon tea. We had booked the stables restaurant on the first evening but tried to eat there again for lunch and supper and it was fully booked and there was no where else to eat with the kids unless the bar was free (with limited menu). The food was also average! Very disappointing! That said, if you want a child free stay there then it would be great, the spa and treatments were fantastic! The other restaurants may well have better food as well!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Clare F,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Grove. I am sorry to read you felt The Grove did not deliver a family friendly break for you. I would be happy to address a number of your comments to make your next visit to The Grove all the more enjoyable and encourage you to contact me directly. For example, we do offer a complimentary shuttle service between the main hotel and Anouska's, we do have cycle trails and nearby parks to ride bikes through, parents are able to supervise their children in the outdoor play area at Anouska's and you are not required to book afternoon tea to enjoy our lounges. I do hope we are able to discuss further and welcome you again to The Grove in the near future.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Went back for the forth time in Jan for my wife and i birthdays with friends. Yet again the hotel delivered in every way and is still one of my favourite hotels. One small thing is with the spa and it not having enough seats around the pool to sit and relax and dry off. Most times i have been here you will be lucky to get one. The hotel, grounds, staff and food by far make up for this.
Thanks for another great stay
Dave

Dear Dave,
Thank you for taking the time to post your excellent review of The Grove. I am delighted we have been able to welcome you and your friends to The Grove for a return visit and I hope we may look forward to seeing you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler's Cross
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel
Holiday Inn Express London-Watford Junction

Been to The Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!