“Meal in the Glasshouse at The Grove”
Review of The Grove Hotel

The Grove Hotel
Reviewed 6 February 2014

This was our 3rd visit to dine at The Grove and 2nd visit to The Glasshouse. Our party of 4 included my 17yr old daughter and fussy eating 13yr old son. The buffet had a wide choice with a range of starters. My son loved the roast beef and huge Yorkshire puddings ( as did I ,) My wife and daughter went for the Chinese / stir fry option and really enjoyed that. The service was ok, not as good as the food , we had to really try and catch the eye of the waiter for drink orders but the whole evening was very enjoyable and the setting is spectacular. As it was my wife's birthday ,they brought out a little birthday cake which was a nice touch. I would recommend a summer visit to take advantage of the lovely terrace but any season, I don't think you would be disappointed .

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear Dave H,
Thank you for taking the time to post your excellent review. I am delighted you chose to celebrate your wife's birthday in The Glasshouse and that the whole family had a wonderful time. I look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Jonathan Critchard

Write a ReviewReviews (2,835)

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Always a special treat to visit The Glorious Grove. Enjoyed a delcious elegant dinner in their gourmet restaurant, Collette's. Probably the best seabass i've ever had. Lovely menu all served with perfect timing for our guests. Very good value considering the high presentation & wide range of expensive, quality ingredients being used by the Chef. The efficient unpretentious service made for a perfect evening. Sadly, we couldn't stay overnight on this occasion but must compliment the owner's on the immaculate presentation of their hotel.... Immaculate ! 10/10

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Mark France,
Thank you for taking the time to post your excellent review of The Grove and your meal in Colette's. It is a wonderful restaurant with an exceptional menu in a relaxed setting. I will be delighted to share your comments with the team and I do hope we may welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

When I tried to book my 1hour 55 min treatment as part of the spa day package I had been bought for mothers day I was told that there were no long treatments slots left and I would have to have 2 shorter treatments instead, which I booked for 11am and 1pm. When I checked in on the day, however, I was asked why I had a gap between treatments and wouldn't it make more sense to have them back to back?! Why then could I not have had the long treatment I had originally wante I wondered? No idea. It didn't spoil my day but was a bit annoying. Lunch was served to me in the small bar area in the spa reception which was fine except I was in my dressing gown looking less than glamorous and was surrounded by fully dressed people eating lunch, so I did feel a bit conspicuous, and felt a bit chilly too as people were of course coming in and out all the time. Although my main course was served first, I took the somewhat old-fashioned view of requesting my starter first, which the waitress duly brought to me, keeping my main course warm(ish) under a cloche out back! It was all delicious, having said that, and I enjoyed the rest of my day lounging around, then trying out all the facilities of the gym, pool, relaxation room, steam, sauna, jacuzzi etc etc before heading home.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear Jane P,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent spa day in Sequoia. I am sorry you were initially told that your treatments could not be back to back. I can only assume a late cancellation must have occurred on this occasion. I am pleased you had a relaxing day with us and hope we may see you again soon.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

This was my third lunchtime visit to The Glasshouse. As ever, the food and setting were stunning and my friends who were visiting for the first time were very impressed. Why I haven't rated it 5 this time was because of the frankly, amateurish service. The waiting staff were all very willing but appeared to be untrained. I had to ask 3 times for our bottle of wine to be brought to our table and our glasses refilled. It made me feel like an alcoholic (and we only had 1 bottle between three of us)! They didn't appear to be aware what was going on around the room. I hope next time I go, things are back to normal.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear scooterlexmark9,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent visit to The Glasshouse at The Grove. I am sorry to hear you found the team to be slow to respond to your drinks order and I will discuss this with the team. I am pleased you have found the level of service and food to be good on previous visits and hope we will have the pleasure of your company again soon.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Firstly I'd like to say that the two times we've stayed in the Grove were largely positive experiences - the rooms are very good (especially the bathrooms which contain huge 'tub' baths ideal for relaxation) and the room service delivered food has been excellent. However, on our last visit there was an incident where the door to the room balcony closed behind my wife and with no handle on the outside (and no warnings on the door) she was unable to get back in the room on a very cold and wet night. It was only luck that meant I returned to the room early that evening after an hour - otherwise she could have been out there for 5 hours!

I voiced my anger to the maintenance man, and again told the reception on leaving (as they seemed to be unaware). Their reaction to this serious incident was almost dismissive and quite lacking in appreciation of how much this had ruined our stay, and made no indication that they would bring it to the attention of management.

This review is a reflection of our experience because of this serious health and safety issue, and not a relection on the generally good quality of the hotel otherwise.

Room Tip: It's a long way to the lifts if you get put in some of the more distant rooms, so maybe try to r...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear TrevMira,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry to hear of the incident with the balcony door and for any undue stress caused to your wife. We are investigating this and looking into a solution to prevent this happening in future. I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and hope we may look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

We had Spa day with a 2 hour treatment when we arrived we were asked to fill out our menu requirements at by 11.30am so our lunch would be ready by 2pm, we went to the Garden Room for lunch at 1.50pm (no Garden in sight just an opening from the ground floor to the basement adorned with rubbish) at 2.10pm we ordered a drink by 2.30pm we were asked if we wanted our main course before our starter which we declined then at 2.40 we actually received our dinner and no starter, after which our drinks arrived at approximately 2.45pm as our treatments were at 2.55pm this was now a mad rush for no apparent reason. We then went to have our treatments i was told to wait in reception in my dressing gown for the 2.55pm appointment at 3.15pm i was just about to ask reception am i in the wrong place when the assistant carrying out the treatment arrived, i found this totally undignified sitting in the middle of reception in a dressing gown for 20mins with no explanation! Ending on a positive, the food when it did arrive was good, the Spa and the treatments were also good, but the service for a so called 5 Star hotel leaves a lot to be desired. Paul B.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Paul B,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Sequoia at The Grove. We are currently undergoing some refurbishment works in the spa, which should have been explained at time of booking, which has a small impact in some areas of the spa. This would explain the Garden Room view being temporarily obscured. I will discuss the delay in your lunch order with our spa team, however I am delighted you had a relaxing time and hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

We celebrated our mums 80th birthday for afternoon tea, and the whole experience from when we arrived was wonderful we were all made to feel very special especially mum from start to finish.
The food was excellent and the service was so attentive especially the waitress who looked after us with constant refills of delicious sandwiches, yummy cakes, warm scones and tea and coffee. The hotel was intimate and very cosy and nothing was too much trouble and we were not rushed at all. .
We all had a fabulous time and will definitely be visiting this stunning hotel again very soon

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Yve2014

Dear Yve2014,
Thank you for your excellent review following your recent afternoon tea at The Grove. I am delighted we were able to welcome you and your family for this special occasion and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler's Cross
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel
Hilton Watford
Hilton Watford
#7 of 13 in Watford

Been to The Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!