“Truly Brilliant” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Grove Hotel
Watford, United Kingdom
“Truly Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

All in all the service was excellent, the staff were friendly and happy to sort out anything that needed to be done. Overall I'd say it was a very good stay at a very well organised, modern, helpful and efficient hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Chris D,
Thank you for taking the time to post your excellent review of The Grove. I hope we will be able to welcome you again soon.

Jonathan Critchard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

I booked a golf day for my partner and 3 of his friends at the end of January. The booking process was seamless and easy however I did have to call back and ask a few questions which I think should have been covered off originally.

On arrival all the staff were exceptional, well presented, polite. I could not fault anything at all.

Feedback from the players is that the course was truly amazing, well kept and lovely to play.

Had breakfast in the Stables restaurant, quite expensive for what it is - £5.00 for coffee, £5.00 for a breakfast role. Not the best tasting but the restaurant was clean and the service fantastic. I think the pricing needs to be adjusted to reflect the quality.

All in all The Grove is a stunning venue with freindly helpful staff. The staff really do make a difference to your visit here.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear Nicola H,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your golf day at The Grove. I am delighted you all had a wonderful time with us and that you found the course to be amazing - a real testament to the hard work the golf team do on a regular basis but more so recently given the challenging conditions. I do hope we will be able to welcome you again very soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

My partner and I chose dinner at the Glass House for my elderly parents as a belated Christmas Gift. Food as always was excellent however the evening was rather ruined by the confusion over my booking and the way in which we were treated. The error was not mine as there was another couple with the same surname who wanted a table for 2, I had booked a table for 4 however the lack of apology was rather disconcerting. The dessert options seem to be limited on a Saturday due to the Chocolate fountain which I assume was meant for children and I would also recommend asking to be seated away from this area due to volume of repeat visits by under 16's.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Val C,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Grove. I am sorry to hear of the initial confusion with your booking upon arrival and that the team did not address this in a suitable manner. I am pleased that you and your family had an otherwise enjoyable experience in The Glasshouse and hope we may look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

Spent a couple nights here after a referral from a friend. The property is large and well kept with adequate parking but once indoors, the rooms and layout felt like a convention centre for business conferences and weddings. Personally I think the rooms are overpriced and you don't even get a separate shower, bottled water or a stand to put your baggage on. Golf course looked good and the gardens are well manicured, even for winter. If you have a big budget then consider.

Room Tip: Away from the long hallways or service doors/rooms is quieter.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Dear Peter L,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Grove. I am sorry you felt your room did not exceed your expectations. We do offer a variety of room categories and many do come with a separate shower and bath. The team would be happy to advise you prior to a future visit. I am pleased that you enjoyed the gardens during your visit and I do hope we may be able to welcome you again in the near future.

Bishops Stortford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

Every experience was superb from the glasshouse restaurant, the lounges, the spa and the gardens and grounds. Our bedroom was very spacious with all the facilities, including a huge flat screen TV and a balcony with great views of the gardens. The bathroom was very well fitted with a shower and roll top bath. The swimming pool and spa was excellent with luxurious changing rooms with each locker container a towel, robe and slippers. The Glasshouse restaurant offered excellent food and they prepared an exceptional Birthday cake for us. The many Chefs on duty were very helpful and obviously had a great knowledge of customer service. Our lunch for 10 was fully enjoyed by everyone.
For a five star establishment, I have only given four stars as I would question - why have those small plastic UHT milks on the tea tray in the bedroom, when they could have fresh milk in the fridge, why did it take four waiters to find out if there were any half bottles of wine available, the hotel has great art and sculptures - but a lot of the pictures on the bedroom corridors are wonky (it looks like there are loose screws coming out of the wall), why say you only do tables for 8 and that we had to have two tables of 5 (which I told all my guests) and was then given a table for 10, why if you want to relax with tea/coffee after lunch in the lounge, you are told that they are busy with afternoon teas and empty chairs can be seen, why offer a free Times or a reduced price other paper and then charge £2.70 for a £2.00 paper and why were twelve welcome cards from the General Manager left in our room in the evening and none of them for us?
These are only small things and would not effect us visiting again. Thank you for the table for 10.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear Alastair C,
Thank you for your kind review of The Grove. I am pleased to hear you and your guests had a wonderful stay with us. I will discuss the points you have raised with the team to improve our high standards. Fresh milk is available and would gladly bring to your room on request. I do hope we will be able to welcome you again to The Grove in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

The room is as special as you are made to feel. Fabulous in all aspects. Quality second to one and the rooms are gorgeous. From our amazing roll-top bath for two in the fantastic bathroom to the beautiful balcony views across incredible gardens and fountains from our sumptuous room and massive bed, the opulence blankets your stay and seamlessly takes you to a land of bliss - namely the Grove. The stress-busting break we all deserve; you won't be disappointed!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Fiona G,
Thank you for your very kind review of The Grove. I am delighted to read you had a stress-busting break with us and I look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

My sons and I visited the Glass House for a birthday celebration on recommendation. We were not disappointed. The range of food available was excellent with a very high standard of service. We will certainly be visiting again in the not too distant future.

Dear Shirley S,
Thank you for your excellent review of The Glasshouse at The Grove. I am so pleased we were able to welcome you and your family and that you had a wonderful birthday with us. I look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler's Cross
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Jurys Inn London Watford

Been to The Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!