“Collette's at The Grove is a fantastic fine dining experience.”
Review of The Grove Hotel

The Grove Hotel
Reviewed 2 March 2014

From the moment we arrived we felt like VIP's. The staff were knowledgeable about both the food and wine, and the attention to detail was fantastic. We will be returning in the summer to experience another menu. A great location for a romantic meal or special occasion.

• Stayed: February 2014
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear APBrierley,
Thank you for taking the time to post your excellent review of Colette's at The Grove. I am so pleased you had a fantastic time and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Jonathan Critchard

Write a ReviewReviews (2,835)

Reviewed 2 March 2014

The hotel is wonderful, however some things left us a little disappointed, mostly that we frequently visited the hotel 4 to 5 years when we lived in St Albans and not much has changed, maybe they think if it isn’t broke do not fix it, but I would be worried this is starting to get stuck in a rut. Further some other key points of feedback:-
1. We booked the spa package and for some strange reason they do no have any dual treatment rooms, even though it says there is in the booklet in the room. This meant that we spent a considerable amount of time apart on what was meant to be a special weekend.
2. My spa treatment was a lot shorter than the quoted 80 minutes that we paid extra for
3. I had asked for a room with a view of the gardens as it was a special occasion the lady on the phone advised she would request an upgrade. I advised I was ok to pay after all this was over £700 for the package by the time we added the additional treatments I was not going to be bothered about few extra pounds, however she it would be fine as it was my wife's birthday. When we arrived that was not the case, and had a view over the car park which was extremely disappointing.
4. As previously mentioned it was my wife's birthday and although the hotel placed a cake in the room, there was no acknowledgement from check in, spa or restaurant staff. To be fair if we had stayed at a big chain I would have expected similar behaviour but that was one of the reasons for picking the grove.
5. The tables in the evening in the glass house where far too close together, acknowledging that it was Valentines Day and many of the larger table had been split into tables for 2 there was just far too many.

Now on to the positives,
1. The hotel still has the lovely fresh flower arrangements each day
2. The spa is extremely well appointed
3. The toiletries in the room are of a high quality
4. The lounges are lovely and provide a nice intimate feel
5. The food at the glasshouse for both breakfast and evening meal was of an extremely high quality
6. The staff are extremely helpful and professional without being pretentious

Overall we had a nice experience but I do not think we would return

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pingu_the_penguin_84

Dear Pingu_the_penguin_84,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am pleased that overall you had an enjoyable time with us. I will discuss your comments highlighted with our spa and reservations team. We do endeavour to recognise and add a personal touch as part of our guests experience where possible and I am sorry you did not experience this on your most recent visit. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I booked a Spa overnight stay for myself and my daughter for her birthday. We arrived on 8thFebruary 2014 at 12.15 and had a light lunch before my daughters treatment at 2pm. Before my treatment at 3.30 we received some news from home which meant we had to check out. Obviously there is a cancellation policy which meant I had to pay for the room, evening meals and breakfast and treatment which I did not have, in full. I accepted this and settled the bill and reluctantly left the hotel. About a week later I received an e-mail to say they had charged for the treatment my daughter had booked for the morning of the 9th February and taken from my account. I replied to the e-mail explaining that I had checked out and paid in full although I had thought at the time the treatment for the following morning would be cancelled. However, the response I received explained that I would have had to cancel this treatment before 9 am on 8th February (before we arrived and were not aware we were going to have to leave so early) and therefore they would not refund the money. However they did offer to allow me a room upgrade if I stayed at the hotel in the future. I did ask for contact details of their Head Office as I was not happy that they would not have made some allowances for personal circumstances which made us abandon our stay. I have received no response to my last e-mail!!

I would never stay at this hotel again or recommend any of my clients either. Maybe the 5 star rating of the hotel allows them to lose all sight of compassion for their patrons which is very sad.

To anyone considering staying at this hotel which I have to say is in a lovely setting, just bear in mind that if you find yourself in a position where normal life kicks in whilst in the middle of a stay you were looking forward to, you will receive no allowance or compassion here!
Although nearly £600 was a lot of money to pay for, in effect, just one treatment and a sandwich and 2 cocktails, my daughters birthday treat was spoilt. Still, as least the hotel received full payment this is all that seems to matter!

Never again! Very disillusioned !

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank linda o
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear linda o,
I am sorry to read your review and please accept my sincere apologies for the delayed response to your recent email. While the decision of our Spa Director was in line with our cancellation policy I am pleased to say we are happy to make an exception on this occasion and have refunded you £130 for the cost of the treatment. Once again, I am genuinely sorry for the delay in our reply and I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Grove.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

From the moment we arrived it was first class all the way! The spa was fantastic and all the staff made it a very special weekend.We had a super dinner in the Glasshouse Buffet with far to much to eat!!!and as for the breakfast !!The whole stay was amazing.

Room Tip: We upgraded it was a super room with great views.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jon W,
Thank you for taking the time to post your excellent review of The Grove. I am so pleased you had a first class stay and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Group of 6 had a great time marking several birthdays at The Glasshouse for Sunday lunch. Very good choice of food. Staff ensured that platters were refresshed and kept clean and tidy, Staff waiting at tables were attentive and friendly.

Only two minor points - It would have been nice to have been asked if we would like the wine kept on the table so we could serve ourselves (although staff did keep our glasses replenished). Jugs of tap water should have been iced and with lemon or lime - not too much to ask

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear cctlgw,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Grove. I am so pleased you chose to celebrate your special occasion with us and you had a good time. I will share your comments with the team and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Excellent food, the sandwiches were a great success! Vegetarian diet well catered for although they were notified in advance. Generous portions with lots of refills included. Lovely location, a nice afternoon treat!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear retiredCairo,
Thank you for taking the time to post your excellent review of The Grove. I am so pleased you had a lovely time with us and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I was staying at the Grove Hotel as part of a group attending a function in relation to my job, I found the hotel and staff to be outstanding and the facilities are also very impressive. However, after the evening event I attended I returned to my room to find my towels replaced, new shampoo and bed turned back etc. All good till I went to the bathroom to find a used chewing gum spat onto the edge of the toilet bowl. Unfortunately that one small thing put a different perspective on my stay, I would not have put a review on here except for the fact that I called the following day (Wednesday 19th) Spoke to the receptionist and she was going to speak with housekeeping and somkeone would e mail me. To date I have not heard anything. Other than that I would recommend this hotel for either business or pleasure.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear kevinjw2014,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Grove. I am pleased you had an overall positive experience at The Grove however I will follow up on the comments regarding the chewing gum and respond to you offline. Thank you for your patience whilst we investigate this. I do hope we are able to welcome you back to The Grove very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler's Cross
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel
Hilton Watford
Hilton Watford
#7 of 13 in Watford

Been to The Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!