“A beautiful hotel until you get in to the detail.”
Review of The Grove Hotel

The Grove Hotel
Reviewed 5 March 2014

The small games room was shut for some reason however they loved their few days in the play room. It's easy to take some lovely walks and in particular along the Regents canal and the hotel can supply maps. The grounds are impressive and the decor really well done. The breakfast buffet was ample and so too the evening buffet however it is extortionately priced for what you get. Aside the fine dining restaurant, we tried all three other restaurants and was nothing outstanding. Some of the staff seemed either bored or condescending and it was quite rare to get more than a three star service from some of them. We felt the food and drink was completely overpriced for its worth and it was pretty clear that were taking advantage and making a huge mark up on this. We couldn't help but compare it to central London 4 and 5 star hotels and found the quality versus the price just didn't match up. As a consequence we felt a little cheated. Would we go again? For a night - perhaps. For longer - no.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Michelle S
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Michelle S,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Due to the proximity of the games room to our guest bedrooms we currently open between 9am and 5pm to prevent disturbance in this area. I am concerned you felt that the level of service was below par for a property like The Grove and will discuss with the team. I am pleased that you did enjoy the grounds and decor of the property and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again soon.

Jonathan Critchard

Write a ReviewReviews (2,837)

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Excellent evening. My party inculded a couple which were on a vegan diet and the chief of the night prepare special dishes for them including a delightful desert. It is rare to get this kind of service these days particulary when there are buffet counters. My guest really appreciated the efforted made by the staff.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Indy6153,
Thank you for taking the time to post your excellent review of The Grove. I am so pleased you and your family enjoyed a birthday celebration with us in The Glasshouse. I will be delighted to share your comments with the team and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Myself and a friend were lucky enough to enjoy a day at The Grove's luxurious Sequoia Spa.
There were so many fantastic elements of the day, the black mosaic pool is simply stunning and the darkened relaxation room, with it's aubergine velvet walls and adjustable beds made me feel like I had died and gone to heaven. I sipped the complimentary chamomile tea and nibbled brazil nuts and savoured the decadent moment!
I had booked a Personalised facial, the Therapist was friendly and knowledgeable and immediately put me at ease, the 55 minutes flew by and my skin was glowing afterwards, thank you Dionne.
Lunch in the Garden Room was peaceful and highly enjoyable, our table was waiting at the time we had booked, we had already made our menu choices when we arrived in the morning. I had a generous and delicious chicken caesar salad, followed by the scrumptious flour free chocolate cake.
After an afternoon spent lazing by the pool, trying out the colour experience showers and revisiting the relaxation room, which by the way, I need in my life! It was sadly time to say Goodbye to Sequoia, but what an amazing day, and what a fantastic place to escape to, I am already planning my return trip.
Thank you very much and stay as good as you are :-)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear Alison M,
Thank you for taking the time to post your excellent review of Sequoia at The Grove. I am so pleased you and your friend had a thoroughly relaxing day with us and I hope we will have the pleasure of your company again soon.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We were given an overnight stay at The Grove as a gift and decided to use it to celebrate our anniversary. We were really looking forward to it, but I ham sorry to say that we came away really disappointed.

The hotel is really large and, away from the gorgeous mansion, feels like a very standard corporate conference hotel. Our room was small with a dismal view of the car park. The finishing touches you expect from a hotel like this were barely there. Nothing was free except tea and coffee - and the complimentary toiletries were so small there was hardly enough shampoo to wash my hair.

Dinner at The Glass House was an all you can eat buffet. We knew this is advance, and while some people clearly liked it, it really didn't suit us. The restaurant was noisy and the choice of food overwhelming and somewhat flavourless. Though the hotel knew it was our anniversary (we had told them at the time of booking) there was no acknowledgement of this, though the women on either side of us at dinner were given a celebratory cake for their birthday.

I got a headache in the night and hadn't brought any pain killers with me. I went to ask at reception, thinking that this would be something a five star hotel could help me with. The receptionist told me that they do normally have pain killers in the vending machine in the ladies' toilets but they were out of stock. He suggested we get in our car and drive to a petrol station. We did, but I was shocked about this - really bad service.

The highlight of our stay was The Sequoia Spa. It's absolutely gorgeous. The people are lovely and friendly and the facilities are amazing. Why can't the rest of the hotel be like this? The time in the spa was the only time we felt relaxed. It is the spa that makes my review three star rather than two.

Overall, we were never made to feel at home or particularly welcome at The Grove. We left feeling that we were pleased to be going and that we won't be back.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank J S

Dear J S,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry that you were unwell during your visit to The Grove and that overall you felt The Grove did not meet your expectations. We do try to deliver an attentive yet relaxed style of service and I am sorry you did not feel you were able to relax or feel a sense of personal service during your stay. We aim to make all our guests feel at home and try to make a big property seem a little smaller. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again soon and to deliver a better reflection of The Grove's true service.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We had a very good lunch at The Grove, but I think that the final bill was quite expensive with the additions of coffee etc. However, the surroundings are lovely and in the summer it must be a lovely venue.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear denros,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Glasshouse at The Grove. I am pleased you had a lovely time and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

This was our first stay at The Grove and we were with a large group which could have put quite a strain on their organisation. However, the staff were well up to the challenge and we found only attentive and efficient service throughout our short stay. For dinner our group was served an excellent meal, which is all too easy to get wrong when one is servicing nearly 200 covers, so congratulations must go to the kitchen and waiting staff. We had a 'standard' room, which was a little anonymous but clean, comfortable and with good amenities. I understand, though, that there are more characterful rooms in the older part of the hotel so all needs should be catered for. There was a good choice at breakfast, which was run as a buffet, although the quality of the cooked food, tea and coffee was generally only average and did not disguise the mass-catering atmosphere. The exception was the excellent fresh omelette prepared for me by a lovely chatty lady who was a deft hand with the skillet. Overall, we had a very enjoyable stay, significantly enhanced by personable and well-trained staff. I'm sure we'll be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Tim G,
Thank you for taking the time to post your kind review of The Grove. I am so pleased you and your group had a wonderful time with us. It will be a pleasure to share your kind words with the team and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Gem of an hotel. Excellent bedroom with lovely bathroom, simple furnishings but all of a very high quality.

Dinner in The Stables was first class. Good food, good service, relaxing surroundings.

All the staff we came across were very friendly, helpful, and professional.

We would certainly return - and will.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear BruceBrunning,
Thank you for taking the time to post your excellent review of The Grove. I am delighted you had a wonderful time with us and enjoyed a first class dinner in The Stables. It will be a pleasure to share your kind words with the team and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler's Cross
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel
Hilton Watford
Hilton Watford
#7 of 13 in Watford

Been to The Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!