I had heard a lot of good things about The Grove and was keen to try it out. Paying near to £600 for one night for two people I had high expectations...some were exceeded and some very a little disappointing.
We came to celebrate a wedding anniversary so were prepared to spend a bit more for a special occasion. The grounds of this place are stunning- they are truly amazing and if you are a golfer then this is the place for you- a most splendid golf course is part of the complex. there are also lots of sculptures around the grounds and they make walks around the grounds really enjoyable. in Spring and Summer this place much look gorgeous.
The car park was great and if you could't be bothered to park and walk back to the hotel you could drive straight up to the door and they would park for you- very nice. We decided not too be lazy and park ourselves.
Reception was very grand and the Christmas decorations were lovely. Staff were very helpful and we shown to our room. The corridors all have quirky pieces of art, sculptures and displays make for a pleasant journey to your room.
We were on the modern side of the hotel and the room was lovely. Had everything we needed and was so spacious. We def were not disappointed by the room and I had a great sleep, the pillows and bed were soooooo comfy.
We had lunch in the longue area reserved fro hotel guests or those booked in for afternoon tea, to be as expected it was a little pricey- but yummy and we had great surroundings there are so many different little rooms and each were in a very different style. The staff were attentive and friendly.
The Spa was the highlight. I have been to a lot of spa's this is def the best on ever. The staff were world-class and the treatments divine. The spa pool was lovely and the funky black tiles made it feel like you were swimming in velvet. The jacuzzi was nice and big and there was enough room for everyone . Changing rooms were decadent and even had GHD straighteners in them- so everything was there to take you from spa to bar :)
Now for the small negative I have (might be picky but I think it is important to share the good and the bad)- In the afternoon on the Saturday we decided to go back to the residents bar for a drink before getting ready for dinner. only to be told there was no space for us as all the tables were being used for people on the afternoon tea and we told to use the Glass House bar. this is very small and is basically wooden tables and chairs in reception, it is separated from reception by some wooden slats and is just before the opening to the Glasshouse restaurant. There were no free tables and it doesn't have a very luxurious feel. I was going to complain but then saw a a couple vacate and we squeezed in to the table by a large group. I am of the view that you shouldn't have to complain and that things should go right without this. I think a section in the residents lounge needs to be kept for people staying in the hotel. When you are paying such high prices to stay somewhere you don't expect to be told there is no room for you in the residents bar. So Grove please can you improve this.
For dinner we decided to try the informal option at Stables. This place was great, a good buzzy atmosphere and the menu had great choice and the portions were a great size. The staff were lovely and our waiter was really helpful. The only thing that was a bit frustrating was the speed of service between courses- a bit on the fast side, I would have preferred more of a gap. But that is only a small niggle as the food was delicious and the walk back through the grounds was lovely. We had dinner as part of our package up to a certain amount and didn't use our allowance- I thought maybe the unused allowance might be taken off another part of our stay but when we checked out this wasn't the case- so we in effect paid for something we didn't use, which was a shame.
Breakfast in the glasshouse was great. The buffet style relaxed nature of it all made for a pleasant experience. it does get very busy so if you want pancakes or eggs done in a special way you do have to wait- but it is fun to watch the chefs prepare the food and have a chat with them. The meat in the sausages was really tasty and the selection of hot and cold options was excellent. If you want a fry up you can have it and if you are a health freak then you can have a healthy option as well.
All in all we had a great stay and apart from the one little incident with being told we could use the residents bar and not being able to reclaim our unused allowance off another part of our experience, everything else was fabulous. The best part without a shadow of a doubt was the Spa and all the staff we encountered everyone was friendly and couldn't do enough to help. Also the grounds are a real show stopper.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grove, London's country estate, is more than a five-star hotel. Set in 300 acres and only 18 miles from central London, the former home of the Earls of Clarendon is also a luxury 18-hole golf resort, a fabulous spa and unique venue for meetings, weddings and celebrations. Also included in The Grove's extensive facilities are three restaurants including Colette’s, awarded three AA rosettes. A 4acre Walled Garden with urban beach, tennis courts and outdoor pool. A selection of bike and jogging trials to enjoy with complimentary bike hire; and Anouska’s Kids’ Club, graded outstanding by OFSTED makes The Grove a parent and child-friendly resort. Lovingly restored to stunning effect, the property fuses contemporary design and original period architecture with exceptionally caring and professional service. We look forward to welcoming you soon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Booking.com, Priceline, Lastminute, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, HRS, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Grove Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grove Chandlers Cross
- Grove Hotel Chandlers Cross
- The Grove Hotel Hertfordshire, UK