“Nice stay”
Review of The Grove Hotel

The Grove Hotel
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We are a family of 4 (2 children ages 5 & 7) and we booked a room at The Grove for 2 nights as a quick Easter weekend getaway. We had a very nice time. I would say they go out of their way to have activities for the children and all the staff seemed very eager to keep the little ones busy and happy (which was key!) and my husband and I enjoyed a long run on the grounds while kids were being tended to. The hotel is massive and doesn't know exactly what it wants to be and probably suffers a bit from being too big and not able to take care of the little details as well as other hotels that charge as much for a night's stay- that being said, if you have children and want to go someplace that caters to them, this is a good option.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I booked this for my wife's birthday for a couple of nights first with the children and second just us 2.

The hotel is stunning and lives up to every expectation, the room was beautiful and had out reaching views over the gorgeous countryside.

The spa is excellent and has a wonderful pool, very calming and lots of bed around it.

There is also a hydrotherapy pool which is very relaxing.

The food in the hotel is excellent and there is something for everyone. We had the buffet the first evening as we were with the children and the second night we had the fine dine which was spectacular.

Overall a great experience very relaxing, in the summer there is a beach and I imagine more geared up for children, it's one of the top 3 hotels in the uk in my opinion.

Will be going back shortly for sure...

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Booked the Glasshouse for a 60th and a party of 10. Whilst the food was up to a sufficient standard everything else could be much better. Compared to a US or a Mexico 5 star this would get only 3 stars. I know the Glasshouse is a buffet but when the wine is not in chillers on or near your table you don't want to keep trying to get attention for a refill. Also i'm sure some of our wine was served to an adjacent table. Having cleared your plate you are not automatically given a new set of cutlery for your next visit to the buffet ( it is eat/visit as much as you like). To many tables for a top notch experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 April 2014

This was a birthday treat, the room was not as luxurious as I expected with a hole in the wall. We ate in the glasshouse on the first night, which is a buffet and like a school canteen. There was no service to speak of and the food was not refilled quickly enough and did not look fresh. The staff in the lounge were not helpful and lunch was expensive for the quality. I expected much better for the standard of hotel. However, the Stables on the other hand was brilliant. Despite a 30 min wait for our ore booked table, the food and service were very good. I would recommend this. Breakfast was in the Glasshouse and in a similar vain to dinner. The spa was very good and the facilities brilliant especially for children, however I believe there are better 5 star hotels.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Went in a large group.
Attention to drinks was professional and prompt.
The buffet was extensive, with many items exceeding the anticipated popularity.
Vegetables selection was a little disappointing - why the obsession with Brassicas? They make me want to puke. Why no Mange Tout on an international buffet?

Overall a good experience, but I did feel that there were a couple of areas where they did not live up to tge hype. Going to go again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 April 2014

This was my second stay so having stayed before, I was really looking forward to the weekend.

Arrived on a sunny day, able to park easily and walked to reception passing a wedding, possibly two weddings. Staff were friendly and extremely helpful. Bit of a walk to our room but decor was excellent. Room large and comfortable, couldn't hear any noise even though the hotel was busy, far busier than our previous stay.

Had a coffee outside as lounges were all occupied but service is efficient and professional. Moved inside when we could, afternoon teas were being served - looked delicious!

Had dinner in the stables, food was of good quality and service prompt. We had checked out the menu before we arrived so knew what to expect. I would describe it as gastro pub food, expensive but in line with the hotel. Pleasant walk through the gardens. I had a vegetarian meal which was superb.

Spent the evening in one of the lounges, relaxing and great service. Only fault was that the chess had many pieces missing, my defeat therefore saved for another day!

Breakfast in our room was (as before) a real treat. The Grove does the best breakfast in your room I have ever had! The guy in waiting was great, friendly, chatty and set everything up briskly. A great start to the day. Afterward we had treatments booked at the spa.

The spa was busy the previous day with no loungers free by the pool so we were pleased it was less busy on the Sunday. My treatment was a massage with hot stones. I can thoroughly recommend this treatment. It was a good length of time and totally relaxed me. My husband also had a massage which he said was also excellent. We spent time after relaxing round the pool reading.

Getting ready to leave, the facilities in the changing room are well thought out and can't be faulted. I was ready first so ordered a panini in the cafe area. It was delicious and service as always was with a smile and efficient. Upon finishing it, it was a real shame to leave the Grove but I hope to visit again in the future.

It was a lot busier this time which affected use of facilities which was a shame but can that be helped if it is so busy? We didn't look at the beach, forgot to, and we didn't play golf but the grounds looked to be well maintained. Prices are top end but in line with the calibre of the hotel.

Finally the hotel is set in wonderful grounds, the mood is slick and relaxing with great service. I would recommend in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Decided to make a weekend of going to a wedding at the Grove. I usually HATE this type of hotel ....but ended up falling in love with it. From the moment we arrived the staff were very friendly and attentive. Our room was quite large with a small balcony and views across the beautiful gardens to the golf course and beyond. The bathroom was well appointed. Lunch in "the Stables" was beautifully presented and good value. However, be warned that drinks in the bar in the hotel - are top London hotel prices.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 216 on the second - even numbers (in this wing) have garden views.