“Peter C”

The Grove Hotel
Sydney, Australia
“Peter C”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Grove. It was the second occasion and last time we had a room in the old building. This time we were able to enjoy a Garden View room which was in the newer area. The Garden View room was significantly better than the room in the old building.

We ate in the Stables and the Glass House restaurants. Both were good.

The cost of golf was a little excessive. This time we did not book a golf package and consequently, the cost of golf plus clubs plus cart hire was a little excessive. I think some discount for guests would be appropriate.

Room Tip: Ensure you stay in the newer wing. Garden view is excellent.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this review, 12 September 2014
Dear coatesy101

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay at The Grove in August 2014.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and we were pleased to read you enjoyed the views to our formal gardens.

We were sorry however to learn you were disappointed with the cost of your round of golf. We always strive to provide true value for the Golf experience but have noted carefully your comments.

Thank you again for sharing your concerns and we hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Grove in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely

Jonathan Critchard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I have stayed at The Grove for a long weekend but that was not long after it had opened and I absolutely loved it, no complaints whatsoever. This review however is regarding The Glasshouse. I have never had a bad experience here and although the selection has been cut down a little bit since my last visit, there is still lots of high quality items to select from. The starters are unbelievably good and the main course is cooked perfectly. Their rib of beef has to be tasted to be believed and the selection of vegetables is fantastic. There are of course other main courses as well as the carvery section but I always go for that and so have no experience of any others. I do not eat desserts but my friends did and simply raved about their bread and butter pudding and also about all the other desserts they selected (and believe me they selected quite a few). The staff were attentive but not obtrusive and very friendly and polite. I will certainly return to The Grove for a meal and hopefully one day I will be lucky enough to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cazzie B
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I've visited The Grove a few times before - for the buffet lunch in the Glasshouse, which has always been excellent. This time it was a different story. I had raved about the buffet food to my guests - and this time although it was fine, it was all a bit unexciting and tasteless. The starters were ice cold - straight from the fridge and the roast beef was especially disappointing.
There was a fabulous looking 3 rib roast on show - but the beef they were actually serving was nothing like that. It was all very overcooked and 'wet' looking - a washed out grey colour with the texture more like stewed beef that roast..The roast potatoes were not good either (tasted like the cheapest variety of potato). All very disappointing..
The best thing about the experience was the staff - very friendly and helpful. Pity they were let down buy the food. I think the place is probably past its best..Such a shame.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mary W
Southampton
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

This was our first time at The Grove. We have been looking for a family friendly resort hotel for a long time. For some reason, it is very easy to find one in the US and very difficult in Europe.
Anyway, we were pleased when we found the Grove at only 1hr30 from us and inside the M25.

The positives:
- fantastic location, amazing countryside
- beautiful golf
- great walking trail along the canal and the woods (3hrs walk)
- kids are clearly welcome and the staff seem to at attention to all kids around
- very good room (we had a delux king)
- restaurant can be busy and the hotel took the initiative to book us a table for each we stayed to avoid long wait with our baby
- cot provided with toys for our baby
- beautiful Spa
- great beach area + outdoor swimming pool
- excellent nursery
- good indoor pool for kids (although can be packed quickly as it isn't big)
- the buffet at the glassehouse is excellent. The service is also very good although busy!

On the down side:
- walk around the canal should lots more benches. After walking for hrs we struggled to find a bench and table. It should also have bins around. We ended up by feeding our 9-months old baby in the push chair under a tree because there was nowhere to sit and stop. Changing a baby on the earth isn't great!

- the glasshouse restaurant: be warned that they put you in the main restaurant, which is raised and only have stairs access! So not easy when you have a pushchair or if your disabled. We then use the back door access the other nights as it arrives directly in the main restaurant area. No one told us, we just found out ourselves. The buffet is very good but expensive (around £45 pp include 1 drink and tip)

- the stables restaurant was for is a disappointment. We found the good very average, if not below average. I took an expensive burger for £16.50.... Which came with 1 leave of salad, 3 tiny thin slice of tomato, a very good burger meat and some fries.... I would suggest the chef to get a training a Gbk! Also the wait for being served is very long! We were the first one in the restaurant to order and still waited 30 min to get the main course! The staff and service was however good.

- the drinks are generally expensive: 1 cider + 1 orange limonade: £10.50! Obviously we must be close to London! Lol

- the changing room on the kid indoor pool are very nice but small with 1 shower and no area to get changed. So be ready to be very close to someone when you get changed. The baby changing mat is also located under the hair dryer and it's plug!

- no playground for kids... Which I found strange since it is very kid oriented.

So overall it is not faultless, it is expensive but it is in a fantastic location, good food (glasshouse), kid friendly, nice facilities... So we will definitely come back!

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Pascal G
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My niece treated me to a spa and a night at the Grove for my birthday. The staff were incredible and went out of their way to see that we were taken care off. Once we checked into the room we went to the spa. The massage was amazing and the facilities superb. We went back to the room and there was a birthday cake with a very nice message. This personal touch was truly appreciated. Have dined at the Glasshouse several times and the food is always fabulous. Will definitely go back there again. The only minus was that although connected, the wifi did not work at all during our whole stay. The management need to sort that out.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Maria F
Singapore
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My wife and I have been to the Grove on a number of occasions and following our recent stay we won't be heading back.

The main issue is that at the weekend the hotel is packed full of visitors. On the Sunday of our stay there were 2 weddings taking place (and the aftermath of 2 weddings from the previous day), as well as what felt like half of north London decamping to the Grove for lunch, tea and dinner.

With so many visitors, the residents really do feel like 2nd class citizens. For instance, when we arrived we couldn't get a reservation for dinner that evening; both of the restaurants were fully booked... After kicking up a bit of a fuss they were able to squeeze us in for a 9.30pm seating. However, this was too late so we eventually opted for room service (which was very good).

It beggars belief that a 5 star hotel doesn't hold back tables for its guest. It feels like the Grove is only interested in making as much money as possible and not providing the service you would expect from a 'leading hotel of the world'.

Don't stay in the superior rooms... If you are going to stay at the Grove, bite the bullet and upgrade to a room in the main house. The superior room is a glorified Travelodge room.

We upgraded to a mansion deluxe room after seeing the superior rooms. The porters kindly moved our bags from our old room to our new room but in the process one of our bags went missing... Cue some panicking from the staff and then our bag was found in the old room; an indication on how stretched the staff were.

Afternoon tea was another disaster. Having reserved a table for us and our friends, we were only able to sit inside as the outside area was full (again with mainly non-residents). We did find a table outside of the glasshouse and asked for our tea to be served to this table. After it took about 30 minutes for our order to be taken, we realised that we better sit back in our allocated area otherwise we might be totally forgotten.

Finally, to cap off the bad experience, we were mistakenly overcharged by approx. 275 pounds. The receptionist had clicked the wrong button and we were double charged for some elements of our stay...

We completed a feedback form but haven't heard anything from the hotel as yet.

There are of course some pluses:
- Walled garden is lovely.
- The grounds of the hotel are amazing and well kept. The golf course also looked pretty spectacular.
- The breakfast was good.
- It's inside the M25.

My advice to travellers thinking about staying at the Grove is simple. I wouldn't bother... Either stay in a hotel in London or go to spa outside of the M25.

Ben

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

6 Thank beneavis
TheGroveHotel, General Manager at The Grove Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and we are disappointed to learn that your stay was not as expected, and that our service appears to have fallen short on this occasion.

Please be assured it is our procedure to maintain space in our restaurants for our resident guests, however due to their popularity we always suggest booking in advance to avoid any possible disappointment. Nevertheless, I am sorry for any inconvenience caused and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I can confirm we have also received your completed Guest Questionnaire and therefore I feel it is more appropriate for me to email you directly to further address and discuss the issues you have raised, in the hope you will consider returning and allow us the opportunity to serve you better.

Kind regards

Jonathan Critchard
Singapore
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Nice hotel with comforable rooms, good golf course, professional babysitting service and great facilities for kids - pool/tennis/football. However, a few things they need to work on to be considered a top class hotel.
1. Colettes - good, but far below the standards achieved by restaurants with comparable prices - both service and food.
2. Staff attitude - I found myself negotiating a lot here. Typically when you go to a good hotel, the staff are there to meet your needs - so the reflex answer should be "Yes" - here it was "No - we can't do that". I don't even mind if it is "Yes - though we have to charge you $x", but if you want me to have a good time when staying with you, please do me the courtesy of requiring less of my time spent in persuading you to my point of view.
3. Upkeep - the kids games room was not air conditioned and the games were not working...Despite a number of visits from the workman I could not get Sky Sports in my room - not ideal during a test match... Again - these are issues you should expect from an average hotel, but not from a premium hotel.

I would say that the manager was exteremely helpful, and was kind enough to arrange some Champagne after I encountered a particularly aggressive waitress at breakfast - but clear that the average levels of service fall below a top level hotel in the UK (or a mid-level hotel in Asia)...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel
Laura Ashley The Manor Elstree
Jurys Inn London Watford

Been to The Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!