“Sunday road trip”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 October 2013

With a lovely sunny day ahead we went for a little road trip. And stopped at the Boot. A nice drink would be in order. Easy axcces from the large car park straight into the seated area of the pub. Very nice staff to great us and a lovely barman as well. Had quite a long chat with him and we were on our 2nd round of drinks when it was time to go. All in all, the perfect stop and will surely go back again.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Thought we would give this local pub another try, we had been here before and were not impressed with the food. I like to try and support local business, so when I was told that a new chef had taken over we thought we would give it another try. Initially we arrived a few minutes before the time we had booked the table for, there was no one in the dinning area, so we ordered a drink from the bar and sat ouselves at the table we had reserved for tweleve people. No one came to greet us or hand out the menu's which was not a problem as we helped ourselves to several copies located on the bar area while we waited for the other members of the party to arrive. I was initailly disapointed at the lack of choice, basically the choice from the menu was roast, lamb, chicken or beef, Nut roast or fish and chips with a couple of other choices on the specials chalk board, cottage pie, fish cakes and lasagne. There was no childrens menu, although when we enquired we were told that the roast dinners could be adapted to kids portions, when asked if there was any other choice the waitress went off to the kitchen, when she returned she said that the ubiquitous chicken nuggets were available with chips, when asked if this came with any veg she said you can have peas of beans. There was only one other couple in the dinning area, so it was not busy. Three of our party were running a few minutes late past the time we had booked the table for, this was explained to the waitress when she initailly came to take our orders, which did not seem to be a problem. The waitress took food orders for the nine persons present and reported back to the kitchen to give them a heads up. Five minutes later the the missing members of our party arrived, the waitress was asked by one of our party if they could have a salad? "no we don't do salad on sundays" was the curt response, as was the response when they asked if they could order a drink! On reporting back to the kitchen with the final three orders the waitress arrived back in the dinning room to announce that the roast chicken was not infact chicken it was turkey! no one seemed to mind that fact that despite the very limited menu one of the "roast" choices was not actually available Turkey was not on the menu in any shape or form, but despite this the chicken had been replaced with turkey, which was only apparent to the waitress after she had taken four orders of chicken!). I ordered the roast leg of lamb, to say I was disapointed when I saw it in front of me, was an undersatement, I was served what look like two anemic roast potatoes, four small new potatoes, a few over cooked carrots (slightly greying) two very small florets of soft Broccoli and a a a soggy yorkshire pudding (that aunt bessy must have made) filled with gravy, the roat leg of lamb had morphed into two thin perfectly round slices of what looked like reconstituted meat. The service was overall poor, the choice was limited and the food did not meet the expectations of any one in our party. I can honestly say that I have tried this place for food on three separate occasions over several years, the last two and most recent experiences have not given me an apetite to return and spend my hard earned on very avearge food served with non existent service particularly when there are places that meet with my expectations, budget and are equally as local to me. In this day and age you would expect that a Pub serving a very limited menu would be able to executed it well and with a high level of service, sadly this is not the case here, I Personally choose not to return here again to eat. Three strikes!

ThebootChipperfield, Owner at The Boot Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

We were very disapointed to read that '895PeterS895' did not enjoy their meal with us on Sunday. The party arrived and were shown their reserved table and given menus, the waitress took their order in a polite and curtious manner. The Sunday menu is varied and caters for everyones taste with a daily specials board and 5 or 6 more choices. Even though the party arrived in several stages they were all seated and orders taken and the food arrived quickly and hot. Our food is all home cooked using fresh locally sourced produce and we DO NOT use aunt bessy products, we use quality meats, all home cooked as well. We have dozens of customers that have commented on how nice it is to get fresh food served and that the portions are over generious, such a shame that most people dont leave good feedback but a few want to leave poor feedback, we were also disapointed to see that two members of the same party have chosen to leave poor feedback for the same visit, we can assure you that many have found our dinning experience to be excellent and good value for money.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Today 12 of us went for a meal at the Boot in Chipperfield, there was only one other couple in there .3 of our group ordered the roast chicken breast stuffed with stuffing, wrapped in crispy bacon, only to be told that it was turkey, "that's ok, so long as it still comes with stuffing", was the reply " I love stuffing, just bring a plate of stuffing if you like" they joked, the waitress assured them the turkey came with stuffing as well. I ordered the Cod, chips and peas. There were 2 children with us aged 6 and 7 , their meals were brought out last for some reason, golden rule number 1, get the kids meals out first. The turkey arrived and everyone said there was no stuffing! I mentioned this to the waitress and she went and asked the cook, she returned and said they didn't have any stuffing. I began to eat my cod and chips when it arrived and thought this tastes of pepper,( I don't like pepper) I checked I hadn't put pepper on my food instead of salt, no I hadn't. I couldn't eat the fish, I thought there was something wrong with it, I said to the waitress there was something wrong with the fish, it tastes of pepper, she went off and came back and said " yes there is pepper in the batter" WHY WOULD YOU PUT PEPPER IN BATTER? cut a long story short, the food was poor, service poor, will never go back.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

A nice place to go with friends for lunch, drinks served while we looked at a full menu, orders placed, all our meals were freshly cooked therefore very hot and were enjoyed by all, including the starters. The meal was eaten at a steady pace and no pressure from the staff for any extras.
We all would recommend The Boot for another visit.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

went to the boot pub in chipperfield its local and advertised that it had a new chef - more like an army cook!
i have never before been served tinned marrow-fat peas in a restaurant all the food was overcooked and the service was pretty dismal
why cant the waitress thank you when you leave - she got her tip.
overall disappointing wont go back

1  Thank alan o
ThebootChipperfield, Owner at The Boot Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

We are very disappointed that Alan O didnt enjoy his meal with us. I can assure him that we DONT serve marrow fat peas and when asked if his meal was ok it would have been nice if he had said that he didnt like the peas or any of the other food.
We do our best to serve our homecooked food fresh and hot and would hope that Alan would give us another try.