See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Atmosphere is very friendly and homely - worth stopping for a drink if in area.
Bar staff are really friendly and seemed to always be on hand with a smile.
Wine glasses are on the large side but you won't forget that in a hurry - makes for something quirky!!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2013

If you need accommodation within striking distance of London you can pay through the nose for charmless Premier Inn/HI Express/Travelodge, etc or you can take a chance on the Silver Cup. Fantastic location on the common at Harpenden and within walking distance of several equally good pubs.
Don't expect 'slick', but that's the point. My room was decent. Who needs a 42" plasma TV anyway?
The landlord is an absolute star. I was running late and skipped breakfast, so he agreed to knock off the cost of the bottle of Bulmer's I'd necked from the 'mini-bar' in my room (a £49.99 fridge from Argos which contained one bottle of Bulmer's). You wouldn't strike a deal like that in the Premier Inn at Hemel Hempstead, would you?

Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Mr W
Reviewed 4 July 2013

I have stopped at The Silver Cup a half dozen times over the last 5 years. My last visit last year was not too clever, but as the pub had new owners I thought to give it a try.
The new landlord was very heplful and welcoming on arrival, I asked to borrrow an iron and the young bar lady even offered to do it for me. I declined the kind offer , but a nice touch.
The rooms have not changed at all but my room was more than adequate for my needs , clean and in good repair.
The atmosphere in the bar areas was much more welcoming than in previous visits , so that speaks volumes for the new team. I was eating out with friends so did not sample the menu, however if the breakfast is anything to go by,then the food has to be good.
My full cooked breakfast was freshly made and served with quality toast , tea and preserves , a proper breakfast. Top marks.
The visit was a reminder of the first stays from a few years ago, I will go back and wish the new owners every success.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank jmcc67
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Don't go near this place. Tony the Manager is akin to Basil Fawlty on steroids. The rooms were unclean. The service was poor and the food was terrible. If you want to have a really unhappy experience book this place!!

Date of stay: June 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
11  Thank Philip J
Reviewed 12 May 2013

We arrived late at night Landlord Tony made us very welcome, rooms clean with an honesty bar, only downfall shower not very strong. Breakfast and coffee very good. Would stay again if in the area, handy for airport and mainline train

Date of stay: May 2013