See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Excellent on every front. Recently celebrated our daughters birthday here at short notice. Tony and his staff were wonderfully accommodating, providing great and varied food, drinks, a stellar atmosphere and faultless service for our party of 15. A great event capped by a relaxing overnight stay and a hearty English breakfast. Harpenden is lucky to have such a traditional pub/coaching inn. Would make an excellent overnight stop for a cycling party.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Harpenden2
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We stayed at The Silver Cup for one night and had a great stay.

We were made to feel welcome as soon as we arrived as the staff have a "nothing is too much trouble" approach to service. The room was clean, comfortable and well appointed - excellent value for money in our opinion. The breakfast was fantastic - a traditional full English - done to perfection.

The atmosphere in the bar is friendly and welcoming. The bar snacks are fairly special too - we especially enjoyed the balsamic pickled onions and the homemade pork scratchings.

Many thanks to Tony, the landlord, for his hospitable and friendly approach to front of house.
I can't recommend this place enough - convenient for access to Harpenden High Street (2mins) and London, via Harpenden Station (5-8 min walk).

We will definitely be returning to The Silver Cup - excellent value for money and a charming, traditional pub full of character. Thanks.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank SMacHertfordshire_UK
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Atmosphere is very friendly and homely - worth stopping for a drink if in area.
Bar staff are really friendly and seemed to always be on hand with a smile.
Wine glasses are on the large side but you won't forget that in a hurry - makes for something quirky!!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2013

If you need accommodation within striking distance of London you can pay through the nose for charmless Premier Inn/HI Express/Travelodge, etc or you can take a chance on the Silver Cup. Fantastic location on the common at Harpenden and within walking distance of several equally good pubs.
Don't expect 'slick', but that's the point. My room was decent. Who needs a 42" plasma TV anyway?
The landlord is an absolute star. I was running late and skipped breakfast, so he agreed to knock off the cost of the bottle of Bulmer's I'd necked from the 'mini-bar' in my room (a £49.99 fridge from Argos which contained one bottle of Bulmer's). You wouldn't strike a deal like that in the Premier Inn at Hemel Hempstead, would you?

Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Mr W
Reviewed 4 July 2013

I have stopped at The Silver Cup a half dozen times over the last 5 years. My last visit last year was not too clever, but as the pub had new owners I thought to give it a try.
The new landlord was very heplful and welcoming on arrival, I asked to borrrow an iron and the young bar lady even offered to do it for me. I declined the kind offer , but a nice touch.
The rooms have not changed at all but my room was more than adequate for my needs , clean and in good repair.
The atmosphere in the bar areas was much more welcoming than in previous visits , so that speaks volumes for the new team. I was eating out with friends so did not sample the menu, however if the breakfast is anything to go by,then the food has to be good.
My full cooked breakfast was freshly made and served with quality toast , tea and preserves , a proper breakfast. Top marks.
The visit was a reminder of the first stays from a few years ago, I will go back and wish the new owners every success.

• Trip type: Travelled on business