“bad as per normal” 2 of 5 bubbles

Pasta Cibo
Ranked #10 of 78 Restaurants in Harpenden
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Cheap Eats, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“bad as per normal”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Made the mistake of going here after long absence - it was the only place in Harpenden which had a table on Saturday night at short notice - that should have told me something...
Pasta was bad - ordered something with anchovies - there were NO anchovies. Salad old tired and limp. And a very full price too. Avoid.

2 Thank Fusspot100

Luton, United Kingdom
“Birthday Dinner.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Just a quiet Birthday Dinner with hubby and me. However I do not think we will be returning again as it was a little disappointing. We ordered house wine white for me and Red for Pete, both were very average, which is not the description that Pete used for his....... We skipped the starters as there was nothing that really appealed, I ordered Pizza and Pete orderd a fish stew which was served with crusty white bread. My Pizza was ok, the base was not cooked properly, it was soggy in the middle and too thick so I scraped the topping to the sides and just ate the parts that were cooked.
Petes dish , the sauce he said was really full of flavour, but the large prawns were overcooked, the squid chewy (overcooked) but the mussels were ok. This meal was £18.00, overpriced for how it was presented. Whilst given the bill, 1 Ferrero Rocha chocolate was served, I asked why just one when there were 2 at the table, It's for the lady was the reply.
Shame, Pasta Cibo, lost your touch I feel..

1 Thank StarlightLyn
London, United Kingdom
“Left a sour taste! Very disappointed.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

I'd organised a 30th birthday party for my husband at Pasta Cibo for Saturday 26th April with 19 guests who had all pre-ordered from a set menu.

The restaurant were very helpful and friendly in the lead up to the event and I had been really impressed and prepared to give a good sized tip to thank them.

On Tuesday I visited the restaurant to discuss the menu - we agreed a set price for a set menu, which was written down for me. We had the table booked for 6.30 and the restaurant asked that we vacate the table by 8.30pm, which we agreed was absolutely fine.

The disappointment came at 8.22pm when the ice cream (which was part of the set menu hadn't arrived). I queried with the restaurant if they still needed us to leave at 8.30pm, to which the answer was yes, to which I said it'd probably be worth bringing the ice cream out then as we only had 8 mins!! The waiter went off and then came back and said can we have a chat at the bar-

When I went behind the bar I was confronted by the waiter, the boss and his wife - to which they told me they were not bringing the ice cream because it's a Saturday night and the price we agreed wasn't enough for ice cream too and I'd need to pay more for dessert.

Keeping in mind that I'd discussed this face to face with his wife and waiter on Tuesday (I have our agreement written down on paper) and that they'd decided to change the agreed set menu without telling me (i.e. were simply not going to bring the ice cream out had I not asked) - At 8 months pregnant, with a party of 20 guests all waiting for the final part of their set menu, I was horrified to have been confronted in this way.

Issue was 'resolved' when I said, 'that's fine, I can't force you to fulfil our agreement but I'm happy to post a trip advisor review with some photos', to which the owner said, 'look it's out fault, we'll bring you the ice cream'.

Other ares of disappointment:

- the I cream was brought out in sundae glasses- 1 glass per four people and we were required to scoop out our own ice cream into our own plates (was expecting it to be brought out to us on plates and not presented in self-service style in a restaurant!)

- they didn't bring us a bill at all and just asked for the money quite coldly (presumably our table didn't go through the books??)

- there was absolutely no 'thank you, goodnight' from the serving staff or owners (clearly they felt bitter about the agreed £22 for a starter, main course and two scoops of ice-cream, but that was what we agreed face to face and what I had written down, in their hand-writing on their paper and also more than if we'd just ordered the individual items from their menu!).

- One of the mains was described as having 'two king-sized prawns' but all our guest eating that particular dish only had 1 prawn

- the pizzas weren't evenly cooked with some guests saying it had a soggy middle and some of the ingredient weren't cooked onto the pizza but just chucked on cold (mushrooms and peppers).

It really disappoints me to leave a negative review as they had been so helpful in the lead up, but the last fifteen minutes stressed and upset me unnecessarily, so needless to say I removed the planned tip and won't be returning.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Maria S
“Very nice home cooked food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Myself and my son dropped in on a midweek night. We had squid, garlic bread, pizza and lasagne and all was very tasty and fresh. There's a lot of eating choice in Harpenden so the Restaurants need to be on top of their game. Pasta Cibo is and I would recommend.

3 Thank Tonywarwick
Sydney, Australia
“Family run, not always a good thing.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

I have visited pasta cibo many times and now feel that I must write a review. They never listen to your order and do not take into account allergies. On a number of occasions I have ordered and even though I have told them I am unable to have certain ingredients have been presented with the wrong meal. Not only is everyone at the table finished when i receive my meal, I have lost my appetite. The male owner clearly does not want young people eating in his restaurant, when I visit with my family, he tries to be polite, but when i visit with my partner or friends, is extremely rude. Never when I visit with family are the younger party members greeted. The food is extremely average and although there is a lot of choice, the majority are all tomato based pastas. They need to improve their service and choice.

Visited February 2014