“Sunday Buffet delight”

Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We have been to this town centre restaurant twice now in 6 weeks for their Sunday buffet and have to say it won’t be long before our return. The buffet was generous in its large choice of dishes but a few labels would not go a miss as we had no idea what was laid out in front of us.

This is clearly a popular place to eat for a Sunday lunchtime as for the second time the place was packed. Lunch was served from 12 noon to 2pm.

The buffet cost £12 per head with a small coke priced at £2. Total price for the three of us was £42 plus tip. I don’t think the food could get much better than this though at £12 a head I thought the buffet was a little over priced but then we are talking about Harpenden.

Date of visit: February 2013

Reviewed 17 January 2013 via mobile

Being new to the area I read some freat reviews about this restaurant and with being conveniently located in the centre of town I decided to give it a go.

We had a nice table by the window and opted for the mixed starters. My youngest daughter bit into what is normally her favourite chicken satay. And her first reaction instead of mmmm was mummy this dosnt taste right. We told the waitress and was told it was fine.

Bright red spare ribs I think there must habe been enough food colouring to paint the town red.

The seaweed tasted stale like it had been sitting around for weeks.

The crispy duck for a middle course was enjoyed by all despite having to send the trimmings back as there was a black hair amongst the spring onion.

Main course we had a bright red sweet and sour chicken again another load of colouring. Evening the chicken and cashews was orange.

The whole meal had a strange tang. And must have been packed full of msg colourings

There whole family had a very uncomfortable night sleep.

I checked the scores on the doors website to find that the restaurant had been given a 0 rating out of 5, the only restaurant with a 0 rating in harpenden, shockingly there where more 1 ratings than I ever would imagine for such an up market town.
I wish I had checked this prior to my visit. I would have eaten elsewhere

The service was friendly though and decor nice.

5  Thank Clarec1976
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We ate her on New Years evening, myself partner and 5 year old daughter. The staff were extremely friendly and welcoming and gave very good advice about quantities, spiciness and what would be suitable for my daughter. The food was excellent. We had the usual crispy duck but also satay and ribs - the satay sauce was the best ever......I will definitely return here next time I am in the area - I never consider myself a fan of Chinese food probably because I have never had a meal like this one before.

Date of visit: January 2013
1  Thank Nikki M
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Great and tasty food! Staff very friendly and funny, kept making jokes all evening! Good value for money as well. Can't wait to go back soon!

Date of visit: October 2012
3  Thank JoanaP87
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Went with my daughter, son in law and new baby for Sunday Lunch - Eat as much as you like. Usually the a la carte menu is quite expensive but is always worth it as you get brilliant food. The Sunday Buffet is £12 per person + drinks, which makes this very economical. You don't have to wait for servings, you just go up and pick what you like. My favourite starter is always seawead, and I had seconds of that. Then I had picks of lots of other dishes - twice again. Plenty of prawn crackers to take to the table too. Then the afters. You can have just as many afters as befores. I was too full to have seconds of afters. The food was delicious as always, but did get cold on the plate quite quickly if you are not a fast eater. My daughter does not eat pork so the waitress got her sweet and sour chicken instead at no extra charge. The staff are very quick to help you. We all had a great time and remained feeling full until well into the evening when only a small snack supper was needed. LOVELY.

Date of visit: November 2012