“Farm and Bloody Hollow at Hatfield House good day out for children”
Review of Hatfield House

Hatfield House
Ranked #1 of 17 things to do in Hatfield
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hatfield House is the home of the 7th Marquess and Marchioness of Salisbury and their family. The Estate has been in the Cecil family for 400 years. Superb examples of Jacobean craftsmanship can be seen throughout the House. Hatfield House is open from Easter Saturday to 30th September each year.
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

Visited the farm and bloody hollow today with the grandchildren. Who are aged 2 and 4 years. They had a lovely day out. Enjoyed the farm , plenty of animals to see . the train and tractor ride are included in the entrance price ticket which they also enjoyed. Then we went in the bloody hollow play area, couldn't get them out. I thought it was good value for money £4.50 per adult and £2 for children over 3 years. I had a good deal as I traded in £5 of my Tesco points which gave me £20 to spend at Hatfield House. Didn't get to see the house or grounds so will go back for an adults day out. Took a picnic and so you do not have to spend any more money if you do it want to.

1  Thank tobyHertfordshire
"lovely grounds"
in 16 reviews
"kings cross"

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Great rolling gardens, and park. Hatfield house is most interesting. Great for a picnic and day out. Highly recommend in summer.

Ample parking is available on site. Just a cool day out...

1  Thank KvHeerden
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

We visited the farm on a saturday with our 3yr. Entry fee is reasonable, costing £4.50 adult, £2 child. Animal wise its very simple donkeys, sheep, chickens etc spread across a few fields. All animals did look really healthy, which was lovely to see. The sandpit/diggers, tractor tyres etc placed around the site were great, our daughter loved the sandpits, although I'd say they would only amuse little ones.
The simple tractor ride & miniature train were wonderful, we all giggled over each bump. Lastly we played in the 'bloody hollow' park, which was great & large. It was busy & many older kids enjoying the zipline/rope bridges. Lots of tables and picnic space. Overall a nice time and worth the money, but only enough to amuse for a few hours.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Where do I start. My mother and I visited Hatfield House with a large pre-booked group (40+). We arrived in good time for the guided tour which was also pre-booked at an extra £40 per group. We were split into two groups making an extra £80 paid to Hatfield House. While waiting for the tour we decided to have some tea and a snack. Quite a queue had formed but we waited and ordered two pots of tea (£2.50 each) and a piece of flapjack (£2.60) which came to £7.60. I was given the cups over the counter which were absolutely filthy and gritty to the touch. I asked for some more and they were the same. In the end I took a couple of coffee mugs but they weren't much better. When we poured the tea out of silly glass pots with a filter system that doesn't work we could also see the filth and tannin stains on them. We mentioned to a waiter how dirty they are and he just said they are put through the dishwasher after every use. I don't believe that to be so as there is no way a dishwasher would not remove tea stains. When I am being charged so much for something so basic I at least expect to be able to consume it but there is a 'I don't care attitude' about the place. Next the guided tour, too fast, too much information to process, not enough time to stop and look at things, no time for questions etc etc. When you but a ticket at Hatfield House you can have it stamped allowing you free entry for the following year. Great I thought, my husband might like to come. I went to the kiosk to get our tickets stamped only to be told "you can't have it stamped you have already has discount as part of a group". A group booking pays £12.50 rather than the full price of £14.50 oap or £15.50 adult. I questioned this and asked to speak to a manager who said the same. I replied that it was their discretion to discount groups but why penalise them should they want to come back at a later date. I was told that most coaches come from a long way off and not many people return. I asked then well what had they got to loose and was told "we are not going to change the policy". So if you pay £2 more you can go as often as you like but they won't change a group ticket to a full price ticket unless you really push them. This is madness they are prepared to give all other tickets free access for a year but if you take your business to them as a group forget it. Also what they don't take on the group ticket they can claw back on the guided tour so in the end we have paid the same. Just got fed up with their efforts to extract money from you at every opportunity and offer nothing in return.

2  Thank Scuffy4
See more reviews
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We timed our visit on a Wednesday to include a visit to the East Garden and were glad we did. Although the flowers were just getting past their best it was awash with butterflies!
The sundial garden which was under construction on our last visit had been completed and was delightful and well tended.
The grounds, including various woodland walks were all very well cared for and navigation made easy by the information leaflets received on entry.

The house is stunning and the guides helpful, enthusiastic and very knowledgeable on the history of the house. Leaflets are also available in each room with details of the painting and furniture of interest.

Although entry and cafe are expensive it is a very worthwhile day out, made better by the fact that you can trade in Tesco vouchers for a days out token. If you do this then the visit works out at a cost of around £10 in tokens (traded up to a £40 voucher) for 2 people!!