“A grand old home”

Hatfield House
Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in Hatfield
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hatfield House is the home of the 7th Marquess and Marchioness of Salisbury and their family. The Estate has been in the Cecil family for 400 years. Superb examples of Jacobean craftsmanship can be seen throughout the House. Hatfield House is open from Easter Saturday to 30th September each year.
Reviewed 12 August 2014

It had been several years since we visited Hatfield House and we were glad we revisited. It's a short 30-minute train trip from Kings Cross rail station and when you arrive in Hatfield the train station is just across the road from Hatfield House. It couldn't have been more convenient.

We rented an audio guide to take around the house which provided us with information room by room--sometimes too much information. A sculpture exhibition was a nice surprise. The diverse sculptures were scattered around the extensive gardens.

A nice cafe provided a pleasant lunch.

1  Thank Janet L

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I am absolutely sad and disgusted by HH staff. I have read a few reviews about HH and its staff, but I was not so lucky to get even inside to experience the rest of the staff. I live in Hatfield, so I have tried to obtain the resident pass for what I have to pay anyway. I visited HH on Saturday and I was told that I can get the resident pass only on Monday and Tuesday, the Hatfield House itself is open only from Wednesday to Sunday. Anyway I came again on Tuesday the 12th of August at 10:30am and I was told that I am at the wrong entrance and I have to go somewhere else. Unfortunately there is one guy who cannot produce the resident pass for me, but the lady will cover his lunch break around 13:00, so I can come back at that time and she is really sorry about it. Well I was there with my boyfriend, so I said you can see me know and here is my bill – so can he come alone, as I have to work. It was not possible of course, as they have to take a picture of me. Never mind I have asked my boss to leave work for one hour to go to Hatfield house around 13:00. When we get there, there was a guy again that told us, that the resident passes have run out. The poorest customer service I have ever seen!!!!!!

7  Thank Katerina W
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I recently visited HH and was taken aback as to how rude some of the staff were. I was practically shouted at for going the wrong way and trying to open a door (which did not have any signs saying it could not be opened). She could have just politely told us that we were not to go that way without being so rude. Upstairs we were spoken to like children again when I was taking a photograph. I hope the flash is off in a raised voice, which it was. Such a shame because the other staff were lovely especially the man whose daughter studied at Emmanuel in Cambridge. Tip. Be polite to your customers - they pay your wage.

4  Thank chris_duran_gaston
Reviewed 7 August 2014

On Wednesday 6th August, my wife and I joined a group tour to this lovely place. After a damp start, the skies cleared, and the rest of the day was bathed in beautiful sunshine. For the first leg of the trip, we toured the West Gardens, and there was an exhibition of a huge number of different sculptures, by different artists, and covering a wide range of subjects, which were simply a delight to view - don't look at the prices, though! The gardens were lovely, fountains, lots of exotic trees, all bathed in wonderful summer sunshine! We both felt quite uplifted.
Then on to lunch, and it was one of the best I have had for ages! I had the asparagus and stilton tart for mains, and citron tart for dessert, absolutely divine! My wife had fillet of salmon, and seasonal fruit for dessert, which she also praised.
On to the third leg, the house, and what a house! magnificent paintings, immaculately carved woodwork, furniture and fireplaces, superb tapestries, such a lot of art and craftsmanship in one place was almost obscene! And the Cecil family still live in the East wing! When we left, I felt more happy and uplifted than I have for a long time. We will be sure to revisit!

3  Thank Michael D
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The house was better than I expected, plenty of rooms to view and very interesting and significant history. The rooms are varied and of particular interest is a long gallery with a gold ceiling!
The gardens were also nice but nothing amazing.
Only downside was the guided tour of the Old Hall was really a talk for 50 minutes with 10 minutes viewing the historic hall that could be viewed without the additional ticket anyway. Also the audio guide is an extra £3 for the main house on top of an already expensive ticket.
All in all however very worthwhile visit.