“Recommended”
Review of Ramada Hatfield

Ramada Hatfield
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Hatfield
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I noticed on here before our visit that quite a few people had problems with the hotel staff, well from my experience over the last 2 days I can happily say that they were superb, the restaurant staff in particular going out of their way to help and everyone was very friendly at all times.
The room (2536) was clean and comfortable and being at the rear of the building very peaceful at night.
The food in the hotel was excellent and reasonably priced.
Free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel was a bonus that many other hotels still charge extra for per night.
The only negative i can find to say is that while our room was lovely, it was a long way from the entrance and through what seemed like endless fire doors and corridors and being on the second floor, up some stairs. This is just because of the extensions to the original listed building but the signs to the rooms could be clearer. We were offered help with our bags at check-in but declined, we might have changed our mind once we found out how far it was to the room :)

Room Tip: No lifts, so anything on the 2nd floor will require you to lug your luggage up the stairs.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Thank you so much for your 5 star review. I am delighted to read that my team were friendly & superb! I am also pleased you found your room clean, comfortable & peaceful and the food excellent.
Admittedly some of our bedrooms are a little walk from reception but we are more than happy to carry your luggage. When the bedroom extensions were built planning permission restricted development to low level buildings; 25 years later these restrictions are more relaxed!
Since I have been General Manager at this hotel I have doubled the quantity of directional signs to bedrooms & facilities. Reception do also have a map of the hotel; I will ensure the Receptionists are distributing this to our guests.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,071)

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Reviewed 4 December 2013

We booked for a murder mystery and arriving in the afternoon, thought we would like to take advantage of the swimmimg pool at the sports centre (advised as being a few minutes walk away) We asked the girl on reception where it was and were told it was in a certain direction. We walked out, in that direction, but after about 10 minutes with no sign of the centre, we turned back. As we neared the hotel it started to rain so we decided not to bother looking any further. It would be very helpful if a small map was left in each room (or available in reception) to show the way to the sports centre.
The company acting out the murder mystery were very good and we thoroughly enjoyed that. The 3 course meal wasn't bad but not great. We smiled at staff as we walked around the hotel but did not get smiles back, the feeling was that they were there to do their duty but that was all! However, the waitresses and waiters in the dining room were lovely, very cheerful and helpful, and again in the morning the dining room staff were happy and smiling. Breakfast was excellent. In fairness as we checked out on Saturday morning, a different girl on reception was also happy and cheerful.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your 3 star review. I am delighted to read that the hotel food & beverage team were cheerful & helpful and your breakfast was excellent. I am glad you enjoyed the Murder Mystery event at the hotel.
I am sorry that you were not given clearer directions to the Hertfordshire Sports Village (HSV); the receptionist can easily print directions if needed. The HSV is within the University of Hertfordshire campus just opposite the hotel and well worth a visit.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 November 2013

A friend and I spent a night at this hotel to attend a murder mystery event. The entertainment (the murder mystery) that was interactively played out while guests 'enjoyed' a three course meal was great. It was such a shame that the same could not be said about the service.

There lies the crux of why it was so disappointing. Our meal was served by a surly waiter who clearly could not care less. His attitude toward all of the guests was one of 'anything you want is simply too much trouble so don't bother asking'; his uniform poorly kept; and his shoes filthy.

The food was OK but the main course was nothing more than a chicken breast (that was a little dry but edible) and potato. The only vegtables in sight were a few bits of carrot that were in the sauce over the chicken. When one of the guests asked for vegtables he brought a little more sauce ~ not quite what we were expecting.

The rooms are really clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. The only problem is the whole place is a maze. As a disabled customer, I always ask for a ground floor room ~ something that every other hotel I have ever stayed in has been able to accomodate. On this occasion despite asking for disabled facilities, I was placed on the upper floor. There are no lifts. In addition to having to find my way through the maze of corridors and climb the stairs, absolutely no assistance was offered to carry a bag for me. Something I would expect as minimum standard from even the lowliest of accomdation providers.

Breakfast was lovely; piping hot and plenty of choice. In particular, it was lovely that we did not need to vacate the room until late (as it was Saturday). This was good, given that the weekend is the only opportunity for a lay-in for most. Particularly good for me having had to haul myself up the stairs to get to my room and being exhusted as a result.

Now for the bad bits ~ the staff! I am suprised that many reviews talk about staff being friendly. This was certainly not my experience. As stated previously the waiter was really surly and laze- fair. The room attendants completely ignored us when we said good morning as did a number of the waiting staff in the dining room.

When I raised my concerns to the receptionist she was defensive, made like it was my fault and that I shouldn't be disabled; and although she promised to pass on my concerns there is absolutely no evidence that she did so.

All of this was compounded by the fact that on my return home, I put my concerns into an e-mail, specifically asking for a response. To date I have recieved nothing (other than a delivery and read receipt). This has reinforced my feeling that they could not give two hoots about customer care.

Would I stay there again? Probably not. There are a number of good quality hotels in the area and although I liked comfort and cleanliness (I cannot fault these aspects but it is not unique to them), the staff and customer service are equally as important as far as I am concerned. Unfortunately I did not find this at the Ramada Hatfield. My thoughts being reaffirmed by their ignorance in not responing to my e-mail.

Room Tip: if you are disabled make sure you have your room number in writing ~ confirming it as ground floor...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read you enjoyed the Murder Mystery entertainment & meal, found your bedroom clean, comfortable & nicely decorated and had a lovely breakfast.
I am however disappointed my staff did not impress and apologise. As you state in your review many Tripadvisor reviews do mention how friendly my staff are so your experience is unusual and I will discuss your feedback with my management team.
In order for me to respond to your feedback in full please could I ask you to contact me on gm@ramadahatfieldhotel.co.uk so I can gain more information regarding your request for a ground floor room and the e-mail you sent on your return home. I do respond to all e-mails I receive from guests giving feedback but do not appear to have received yours. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

We stayed recently at this hotel for a Murder Mystery Dinner themed in the 20's. After reading previous feedback we asked for room 121, which looks at the back and is quite large. Very friendly and helpful manager and staff. I got lost a couple of times (no orientation sense whatsoever) and they were kind enough as to take me to my room door). Toiletries, T&C, hair drier, iron included and also they gave me a teeth brush and paste as I had forgotten mine when packing.

The event was quite enjoyable with a bit of a surprising end, and several people dressed up for the occasion as we did. There was a price for the best dressed up lady which was not mentioned, so it's nice that they appreciate the effort!

Each table had an actor having dinner, and they kept people participating till the very end. Dinner was quite good (soup, chicken, cake, T&C) and after finishing our paid for bottle we decided to chase the free wine that was included with the offer but never arrived. After talking to one of the waiters our table got a couple bottles. Very nice atmosphere, we got along with the people at our table and enjoyed some nice time mingling at the bar with them and other people at the end of the night.

The bed was very comfy. Due to its location you can hear a bit of traffic noise, but only as a soft background and we got a very good sleep. Room was very clean, but the manager should pay attention to a bit of mould in the bathroom and the windows, as particularly the windows need some cleaning with special products. Also the water pressure was not particularly good, it took a while to have our shower. This is the only reason why I haven't given 5 stars to this hotel.

Breakfast was very good, lots of options for everybody. Late check out, perfect for us as we went to bed quite late that night.

All in one a very nice and enjoyable stay, I definitely recommend this hotel. I particularly loved the green metal stairs, comet! Nice to keep some period features.

Room Tip: Room 121 is quite big and looks at the back, so quite quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your 4 star review. I am delighted to hear you had such a great stay on our Murder Mystery package; our Murder Mystery events have been a great success and we will be running one of these events on most Fridays in 2014. Thank you for recommending the hotel to fellow Tripadvisor readers and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 23 November 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Ramada
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatfield
1 mi away
Beales Hatfield Hotel
#1 of 6 in Hatfield
Holiday Inn Express St. Albans - M25, Jct. 22
Best Western Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel
Best Western Welwyn Garden City ...
#3 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City

Been to Ramada Hatfield? Share your experiences!