“Disappointing. Most unclean hotel ever. ”
Review of Ramada Hatfield

Ramada Hatfield
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Hatfield
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel via groupon for a night stay with hubby. We travelled from Bristol. Was looking forward to the stay as it was bed and breakfast.

I'm just shocked at the lack of cleanliness of the place. Here are a list of things that disappointed me:

1) First I saw when I went into the bathroom was so much long black hair on the floor. How could there be so much hair on the floor when I'm sure it was cleaned before we checked in?

2) The toilet didn't seem clean, seemed to have marks on it from before?

3) I opened a brand new towel from the packet to use after showering only to find brown and yellow marks?

4) We came down for breakfast to find that the half the trays of hot food are empty and no one bothered refilling them. Once we asked for the has browns to be refilled. Then other things ran out like beans ran out and other customers had to ask for it to be refilled.

5) my husband was about to pour his tea when he found lipstick stains on the cup which they replaced.

6) the milk that I was about to pour in my tea and the dish it was in was dirty so we asked for it to be replaced only to still find that the replaced one was still dirty.

I cannot believe that it wasn't just one or two things but so many things are wrong with this place. What a shame.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you for your review. I am very disappointed to read of your poor experience and I do apologise. I will of course ask my department managers to investigate your feedback and take action where required.
This poor level of cleanliness is certainly not typical of this hotel; our Tripadvisor cleanliness rating is a good 4 out of 5. In fact the latest reviewer has described our bedrooms as being "kept spotless".

Write a ReviewReviews (1,071)

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for slamdunk festival and location could not be better. It was only a 15 walk to the venue at Hatfield university. The only downside was the lack of soundproofing. Noises from neighbouring room were as if they were in your own room.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 146tomm
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for your 4 star review and agree the hotel is in a great location for guests attending the Slam Dunk Festival. I am sorry to read you heard guests from neighbouring bedrooms, this is not a comment I usually read in reviews. The hotel did have a large number of guests staying who attended the Slam Dunk Festival so maybe some guests were still enjoying the great atmosphere at the festival back in their bedrooms after the event!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Decent sized room with good wheelchair accessibility. The staff were pleasant. Shower wasn't wheel in, but rest of bathroom accessibility was excellent. And the smoking area is under cover - liked that.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Giffkins

Thank you for your 4 star review and it is great to hear my team were so pleasant. I am pleased to read you felt our accessible bedrooms had good wheelchair access; we have 3 accessible bedrooms however only one has a wheel in shower, the other two have bathtubs with rails. Please do request room 7 if you stay again next year to ensure you get the wheel in shower.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for one night and after reading the reviews I had my doubts. However, it wasn't as bad as I read. Some people are harsh! The room we had was the executive room. It was a decent size with a good sized working TV. They provided us with good amounts of tea and coffee. The room was very warm however I'd rather this than it being cold. The bathroom was small however staying there for one night this wasn't much of a bother. I had an amazing nights sleep until around 8-8:30 there was horrible loud noise from the tree cutters outside in which ruined the whole experience for me! This didn't stop until around 10:30 in which is when we decided to leave.
Overall we had a good stay, however didn't find the staff as helpful as they should have been when telling us where our room was - this hotel was a maze and took is 10 minutes to locate our room.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for your 4 star review and for your kind comments. I am delighted you enjoyed your Executive Bedroom and TV; we have recently had new TVs installed and the Executive Bedrooms all have 37" screen TVs! Sorry you found your bedroom hard to locate, Reception do have maps of the hotel they can issue to guests; I will remind them to hand these out.
I am also sorry to hear your sleep was disturbed by the tree surgeons; these works were necessary as a few trees were getting dangerous however I did ask them not to start this early so am disappointed to read they ignored me and will take this up with them.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

As the title suggests, this is a functional hotel. The room I had was good, clean and had the usual tea and coffee materials but only two tea bags. There is free WiFi throughout, which is a plus point for me. I arrived at about 13.45 and when I asked if I could check in it was a curt "the policy is 15.00 hrs check in. You can sit in the bar if you wish" it would have been nice if she had checked if the room was available though.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your 3 star review. I am pleased to read you found your room good & clean and made good use of our free WiFi which is available in all bedrooms, public areas and conference rooms. The brand standard for teabags is 2 English Breakfast teabags and 2 Speciality teabags however our Reception desk will happily supply you with further teabags on request.
I was disappointed to read our Receptionist was curt in her communication with you; my Front Office Manager will address this with her team.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

First impressions ok, decent amount of parking and well located. However having been allocated a room at the end of a long corridor (noting the tired carpet and grubby walls) I thought the room was ok. Then I tried the fan (nice touch) to find it broken and anyway it was caked in dust (and I mean caked, a good few months worth of dust). Room was warm and being occasionally subject to warm flushes I phoned and asked for a replacement. One was eventually delivered but this was very small and really grubby. Goodness knows how long that had been on a shelf untouched by a damp cloth. Never mind. Then tried the shower. A confusing contraption (things on the wall, never did work them out) but I could accept that but the state of the tiles and grout - yuk. Now I'm no domestic goddess and I'm not looking for perfection but does anyone check the cleaning here? I would have demanded another room if I wasn't already tired having to wait for the fan to arrive. I did tell the lady at checkout, not sure if that was looked into - hope so.
Good points - location and breakfast was nice. But I'm afraid I would not stay again when next in the area. I do expect a bit more for 90 odd quid personally.

Stayed: February 2014

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your breakfast but disappointed to read about the poor cleanliness of the portable desk fan in your room. I have asked my Head Housekeeper to ensure the cleaning of these fans is made a "job of the day" today; thank you for highlighting this.
I do personally check a few bedrooms a day and I have a very good Head Housekeeper so I was also disappointed to read your comments regarding the state of the shower tiles & grout. We will try to identify which bedroom you were in so we can rectify this; again thank you for highlighting this.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The exterior of this hotel is a bit of a puzzle but do not let this put you off. It seems to be a thirties style building bought by Ramada to which they added an unsympathetic extension.
Whilst the exterior is in need of tlc the interior is functional and comfortable. The staff are friendly helpful and efficient.
Rooms are clean, quiet and comfortable and afford a good nights sleep in modern surroundings.
The breakfast provided is excellent with a wide variety of choices to suit all tastes.
I would advise against the evening dinner which leaves a lot to be desired with regard to choice, presentation and service. The meal is self service and consists of a starter, a main and sweet.
The starter is prepacked sliced meat cut into squares and arranged on a platter together with a choice of vegetable/rice dishes. The main is a choice of a meat dish and a fish dish with rice or vegetables. Sweet is fruit or defrosted gataeu with cream unless you also get the treat of a crumble and custard.
The whole experience is of 1950's school meals both in preparation and presentation.
Staff on duty at evening meals were pleasent but lacked training and the duty manager at times when the restaurant was busy on Friday and Saturday evening was totally out of his depth.
Dishes were allowed to become empty and were then taken away and there was a wait until a fresh dish was brought. On the saturday evening a dish of what purported to be apple/pear crumble and a bowl of custard was put on the servery between the meat and fish dishes and the vegatable dishes, this meant that people requiring crumble had to go to the centre of the servery thereby blocking people getting mains. The crumble and custard were not labelled which resulted in some foriegn visitors assuming that the custard was for the fish and proceeded to cover the fish in custard.
Overall this is a good standard hotel of the bed and breakfast variety but a stay of more than a couple of nights is not recommended.

Room Tip: Pay a litle more and select a room above 'standard'.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your 3 star review. You are correct the original part of the building was built in 1936. It was originally built as an Inn by Benskins Brewery and was extended by a company called Jarvis Hotels. The hotel is currently privately owned, managed by Lester Hotels and operates as a Ramada hotel under a franchise agreement.
I am delighted you found the interior more appealing and found our rooms clean, quiet and comfortable. I am especially pleased to read you found my team friendly & efficient.
It is also great to read you found breakfast excellent but disappointed your dinner experience was less agreeable. I will review your comments with my operational team and hopefully we can make improvements. I must point out to Tripadvisor readers that the dinner comments refer to a service style specifically requested by a large group staying at the hotel. The hotel does operate an al a carte menu and a specials menu.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatfield
1 mi away
Travelodge Hatfield Central
Premier Inn Hatfield Hotel
Holiday Inn Express St. Albans - M25, Jct. 22
Best Western Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel
Best Western Welwyn Garden City ...
#3 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City

Been to Ramada Hatfield? Share your experiences!