“Good Room Average Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Ramada Hatfield

Ramada Hatfield
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Hatfield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed overnight on the 27th June for the Murder Mystery event.

The event itself was fun even if the accompanying dinner left a lot to be desired...

As my friend is pregnant and I myself have a disability, we went back to our room straight after the event. The room was very hot and stuffy and it was extremely uncomfortable for us both, more so for my friend who became very distressed with not being able to sleep due to the heat in the room.

We telephoned reception and asked for an extension lead so that the one fan we did have could reach across nearer to the beds and also requested a second fan, in the hopes that that would help matters.

We were assured someone would be with us soon. No one ever came to our room and neither did we receive a call back from the person on reception.

Finally we were able to get some sleep but left as soon as possible in the morning. We did make the receptionist aware of this issue in the morning and my friend was given the contact details of a Sales Manager - which made no sense to us. She has had a response but it isn't satisfactory at all.

My advice would be to avoid this hotel at all costs - yes the event was cheap but I suppose you pay for what you get.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for your review and I am pleased to read you found the Murder Mystery Event fun!
As you state in your review we have responded to your friend's e-mail and I am sorry you did not feel our response was satisfactory.
I have spoken the receptionist who took your call, she does remember taking your call and although she does not remember promising to call you back she did page the Duty Manager to take an extension lead to your bedroom. The Duty Manager however states he did not receive this page so I can only conclude that on this ocassion technology failed. I do apologise for this and have asked the reception team to record all requests on a manual log sheet and periodically check with the Duty Manager that every request has been completed in case technology fails or of course the Duty Manager simply gets busy and forgets. Thank you for highlighting this as it allows me to improve our procedures.
In response to your feedback on the meal, I am sorry this did not meet your expectations. The Food & Beverage Supervisor and Deputy General Manager inform me that they did go around speaking to all tables to check guests were happy with their meal but did not receive any negative feedback at that time and in fact did receive many positive comments; I am sorry if they missed speaking with yourselves. We do deliberately keep the main meal fairly plain, chicken breast seasoned with just salt & pepper and served with traditional pan gravy, simply because it is a set menu and we need to appeal to all tastes however following your comments I have asked my Head Chef to serve a Chasseur sauce instead of traditional pan gravy to add a bit more flavour to this meal.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Perhaps it was just a very very warm day but the heat in the room was unbearable. The window hardly opened so as a result had a shocking nights sleep.

I wouldn't normally score down for a one-off such as this but.....breakfast was dire, dripping in oil and when I shared this with the receptionist on checkout she just didn't know what to say - and certainly didn't offer even a refund on the greasy spoon breakfast.

Sadly won't return until we experience much cooler weather. Shame as the location is excellent for a regular business trip

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your 3 star review. Years ago this country would only have a short spell of hot weather but things have changed recently and our weather is getting hotter for longer so the argument for installing air conditioning is getting stronger. Our hotel has recently been purchased by new owners and I am hoping that in time they will be in a position to make the investment in air conditioning.
I was surprised to read you found our breakfast items dripping in oil. I personally check breakfast standards most mornings and often taste the food too and have not experienced this but will make my Head Chef aware of your feedback.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Rooms are large, bright & modern, however the rest of the hotel and facilities were pretty basic with only a small bar & restaurant area, which were dull & lacklustre.

The place was deadly quiet when we visited - quite surprising as it was a Friday / Saturday night - however there were roadworks outside (resurfacing the whole area which made it a nightmare to access the property!) Not the hotel's fault but a great inconvenience & probably added to their lack of clientelle....

I was also looking forward to the breakfast, however it all looked like it had seen better days: dry, congealed & not very appealing...a large Dutch youth football team were staying at the time & I assume they were catering largely to them & their timings (leaving very early, etc.) however I would have expected things to be refreshed throughout the morning, regardless of remaining guest numbers - quite disappointing.

The location was good, opposite the Galleria shopping centre & easy transport links which makes it ideal for a 1 or 2 night stop-over.

Staff were mostly friendly & efficient.

Would probably return if needed somewhere to stay in the area but only thorugh necessity.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your 3 star review. Great to hear my staff were friendly & efficient. I was also pleased to read you found our bedrooms large, bright and modern but surprised to read you found our bar & restaurant small and dull. The bar & restaurant are located in the original grade II listed part of the building with art deco architecture & features; the bar is quite large compared to other hotels in and around Hatfield.
I am sorry that our breakfast did not meet your expectations. Although we did have a group in all guests are our priority so yes the buffet should be regularly refreshed and looking good; I will speak with my Food & Beverage Manager regarding this.
The roadworks in May just outside were a huge inconvenience to the hotel, guests and staff but I guess these things need to be done sometime!
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Situated right next to a uni, when i stayed there students were shouting as they were in a group, obviously not the hotels fault but still disrupted what was meant to be a peaceful stay/stopover but apart from
that a clean hotel, nice bar area to sit down and relax. Good value for money. I tried just a starter at the hotel and that was very nice. I hope you enjoy your stay.

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you for your 3 star review. I am delighted you found the hotel clean, food nice and your stay good value for money. I agree the hotel bar area is nice and a great place to sit down and relax; the hotel also has a lovely outside terrace just off the bar. The hotel is located just opposite the University of Hertfordshire and I am sorry to read students were noisey; I can honestly say this is not usually an issue so think it was just a one off.
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Room was clean, and tidy, but very small, would ask for an upgrade if I was to go again, bar snacks very expensive, Location of this hotel is great if visiting UH. Plenty of shops around and some nice places to eat out.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade !!!!!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amanda f
Howard D, General Manager at Ramada Hatfield, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for your 3 star review. Great to hear you found your bedroom clean but sorry to read you found it small. Most of our double bedrooms are above average in size so I am assuming you may have booked one of just five single bedrooms which admittedly are alot smaller in size.
I agree our hotel is well located for business at the University of Hertfordshire; we are just opposite the new campus.
I note your comment regarding expensive bar snack prices however our prices are in line with other hotels and eateries in Hatfield.
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

The room was nice, clean and modern.

However...

The evening meal at the murder mystery was worse than what you get in a hospital. Being a former professional chef and someone who has been in and out of hospitals quite a few times it was easy to judge.

There is no air conditioning. The outside temperature was only about 15c during the night but the rooms are so poorly ventilated they got so stuffy and hot we got only 3 hours solid sleep.

I called reception to ask for a bed sheet as the duvet was far too think for the heat. It took them 45 minutes and 3 phone calls for them to expedite it to our room with no apology.

The breakfast was OK.

They need to look at their attention to detail.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you found breakfast ok but disappointed the meal at the Murder Mystery Evening did not meet your expectations. I do take all feedback seriously so will discuss your feedback with my team and look at making improvements to this. We do serve this meal most Friday nights at our regular Murder Mystery Evenings and have received mostly positive feedback on it, in fact many guests have expressed their satisfaction in Tripadvisor reviews.
The hotel bedrooms do not have air conditioning, I am not aware of many UK hotels that do. Our hotel has recently been purchased by a new owner and I am hoping that in time they will be in a position to make the investment in air conditioning especially with the current trend of warmer weather. I do agree that it is unacceptable that a simple request for a sheet took that long to get actioned and I have addressed this with my team. Please do accept my apologies for this poor service.

Travellers are raving about these Hatfield hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatfield
Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel
Beales Hatfield Hotel
Beales Hatfield Hotel
#1 of 6 in Hatfield
Premier Inn Hatfield Hotel
Premier Inn Welwyn Garden City Hotel
Premier Inn Welwyn Garden City H...
#2 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City
Mercure London Watford Hotel
BEST WESTERN Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel
BEST WESTERN Welwyn Garden City ...
#3 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City

Been to Ramada Hatfield? Share your experiences!