“If you're sensitive to smoke don't stay here!”

Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Hatfield
London, United Kingdom
“If you're sensitive to smoke don't stay here!”
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here on a Saturday night, booking an executive room. We arrive at the hotel at 2 pm since the website said that check in was 2pm. On our arrival we were told our room would not be available until nearly 630 since the people in it had a late check out. I was annoyed with this, and they offered us a standard room while we waited for the room that we paid for. We then asked for a late check out for the Sunday, and being that I had to work, we figured 2 pm would be good enough. Once in the corridors I could smell smoke everywhere, even though there are signs for "no smoking". Once in our executive room, the smoke smell was ridiculous. We couldn't tell where it was coming from, and settled on opening a window for fresh air. There was no sense complaining because we were told we had the last executive room. On the Sunday were weren't out at exactly 2pm and reception called us to get us out. Perhaps there were customers like us waiting for the room. I thought it was a bit rude since they had not even offered to compensate us for the late check in. We booked a specific room, and they should have had the courtesy to call us to tell us it wouldn't be ready at 2pm. Then downgrading us with out offering us anything, we had to ask, then hurrying is out the next day. All while, the hotel reeks of cigarettes!

I'd make this hotel a last resort. The rate was alright, the room looked nice and was comfortable, seemed clean. Customer service needs work. If you're inconveniencing the customer you should come up with alternative to keep them happy. And something needs to be done about the smell!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dreamsupreme
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Thank you for your review.

I am aware that you booked your room on the phone with ourselves just moments before you arrived at the hotel. It was unfortunately assumed that you would not be arriving until later on as our other 13 executive rooms were already occupied and this room had pre-booked an early check out at 6.30pm. I was pleased that we provided an alternative room until 6.30pm.

I can assure you that the hotel does not smell of cigarette smoke, on the evening of your stay a guest was smoking in another room and was ejected from the hotel. Upon departure from the hotel I understand you mentioned that there was a smell of cigarette smoke in your room and this was immediately inspected by our housekeeper who was certain this was not the case.

Thank you for your feedback I am sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Greek first
Kent
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We were celebrating our anniversary weekend, and we were so well looked after by the friendly staff. Our room was upgraded at no extra charge and the room was clean and spacious. Throughout the weekend the staff couldn't do enough for us, we were really well looked after. The meals in the restaurant were of excellent quality too. Would definitely return back.

Mr and Mrs Coles

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank v87DJG
Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read that you found our service and food excellent.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Myself and a lot of my family and friends stayed at this truly excellent hotel for 2 nights on the 30th & 31st of October. When I checked in with a whole load if stuff and an entourage they greeted us so warmly even though we had basically just turned their lobby into a zoo! My room was huge and clean and comfortable with a massive bed lovely bathroom and some cool little extras (including a little fruit platter, dressing gown and slippers & a coffee machine!)
We got settled in and they brought us a little camp bed and set up the sofa bed for my bridesmaids. We also had a seating in their restaurant for 20 people for dinner (organised last minuite with out any fuss) unfortunately it was a massively busy night for them and the service was a little slow, because of this we got discounts and free drinks so I was not bothered at all! The bed was comfy able and I slept well. In the morning we had people coming and going all over the place and the staff bent over backwards to help us! They are all so polite and kind! Also the breakfast is really yummy! Proper fry up. It was a great place to stay and they really helped me organise everything for my special day, they even kept the bar open really late for us (until about 4:30am) when we got back from the reception. I would recommend this hotel to anyone! Such a great stay and really made my big day a bit more special!

2 Thank Vfmolo
Thank you for your lovely review.

I was pleased to read that we played a part in helping to make your wedding a success.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Room was clean and big, staff were lovely. There was tea and coffee making facilities, tv, free wifi and complementary shampoo etc. we didn't eat here but if the food is as good as the room then it would be lovely. Highly recommend

2 Thank reluctantraveller221
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read that you had a very good stay with ourselves. We have a very good team of chefs producing excellent food, please do eat with us on your next visit.

abu dhabi
Reviewed 19 October 2013

It was ok but nothing special. Free wifi in room was appreciated and room was quiet. However, I requested a room near reception which was convenient to access. What did I get? According to the porter who carried my case on arrival, it was just about the furthest room from reception (237) - and with stairs to climb. (I booked several weeks in advance, so I don't think it would have been so difficult to arrange.) It was along a maze of corridors with two or three small flights of steps and a full flight of stairs - very difficult with a heavy case and hand luggage. (Surely hotels know most people will have suitcases, so why don't they install lifts?) Restaurant food was good. Staff friendly.

It wasn't terribly well situated if you don't have a car. We tried to get back from the cinema at the Galleria. After about 8 p.m., the front of the Mall is locked and you have to get out through the back (of course, this is not the fault of the hotel!). We thought we would be able to get a taxi, but there were none. Walking round to the front (quite a walk) there were none there either, so we had to walk back to the hotel - which took at least 20 mins. It was lucky it was a fairly pleasant evening. Mainly for this reason, I would choose one of the hotels nearer Galleria if staying again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear Helen,

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry we did not allocate you a room closer to reception, I have looked at your reservation and your request is quite clear. We pride ourselves on our attention to detail and it is disappointing when we make mistakes.

I was pleased that you enjoyed our food and found the team friendly.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

This hotel is the place to stay. The staff are so friendly and professional. Reception outstanding. The resturant staff could not be more helpful. They are so dedicated to their jobs they were Dave and Alison. The food was outstanding and very reasonable.
For £88.00 Bed and Breakfast in outer London is extremely reasonable.
I have to say it shows a 3 Star but this is a 4 star touching on a 5 Star hotel.

The manager of this hotel has got it so right with customer service been their priority.

Definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear Craig,

Thank you for such a kind review.

We are very fortunate in having some fabulous people working here and I am very pleased you took the opportunity to highlight the service offered by Dave and Allison, I was also delighted that you appreciated the service offered by Alina our receptionist.

Stourbridge
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

Just had an overnighter here whilst working at the local hospital ..... Clean , good service .....mustn't grumble
Food in the bar was good fayre with a range of menu options

If you require local accommodation whilst on business this will foot the bill

1 Thank Dan H
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Dan,

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your short stay at the Mercure Hatfield Oak.

Regards

David
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatfield
Beales Hatfield Hotel
Beales Hatfield Hotel
#1 of 6 in Hatfield
Ramada Hatfield
Ramada Hatfield
#5 of 6 in Hatfield
Travelodge Hatfield Central
Best Western Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel
Best Western Welwyn Garden City ...
#3 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City
Holiday Inn Express St. Albans - M25, Jct. 22
Ardmore House
Ardmore House
#8 of 10 in St Albans

Been to Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!