“Much, Much Better”

Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Hatfield
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here last November and in my review I stated that the service was very poor and that I would not recommend nor stay here again. However, following various communications between the General Manager and myself in which he apologised for the poor service and said that if we were to pay them another visit he would ensure that the service would be up to standard we decided to take him up on this matter. From the moment we checked in the staff were extremely helpful and could not be faulted for their attention to detail. Our main criticism last time was the extremely slow and poor service in the restaurant mainly due to one trainee being left to look after the staying guests whilst the others were in the Big room for a Christmas Function or similar. This time there were 2 staff plus a Manager making sure that we were catered for even though there was a Coach Party in the Big room.
If my complaints from last time have succeeded in making the Hotel re-align their staffing policy and customer service then My job has been well done. Sunday morning and for whatever reason the normal Buffet Breakfast was replaced by a "cook on demand " service , for me this is much more preferable. The crunch ; would I stay here again ? to which the answer would have to be a resounding YES on our latest reservation. Thank you MHOH

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Katherine W, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

I am so glad you came back to us here at the hotel following your disappointing visit with us back in November.

Thank you for your kind comments on both the team and the food and I am just so pleased that you experienced the level of service and quality we usually deliver here at the hotel..

We hope we can welcome back very soon, and thank you once again for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Clean hotel, with reasonable sized bedrooms. The staff were friendly; but arriving at 9.30 pm I did have to wait a few minutes before anyone checked the front reception. (But the receptionist was very apologetic). The hotel has plenty of parking, with much of it round the back of the hotel, but it was nice to not have to search for a spare parking space!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review.

I am so pleased to read your postive comments on both the staff and the hotel.

I do hope if you are in the area again on business we can welcome you back.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Have just returned from a short break with my husband.
Can not speak highly enough of the staff they were all genuinely friendly. The hotel was clean, bright and airy, our room was huge and very clean, lovely comfy bed and so clean and the food was all excellent. Can not fault anything at all 12/10 A************
Would recommend to anyone, Thank you

Room Tip: no tip all great
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

I am so pleased you and your husband had such a lovely break with us.

And I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review, it is always so lovely to get such postive feedback.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Best wishes

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I do like this hotel, these days its a choice of here or the Novotel Stevenage just up the road. Although I don't mind the Novotel, I do far prefer this hotel.

Arrived early for me, pre 5pm on a business trip is unheard of as that's normally the time I'm leaving a depot or wondering how many times i'll be stuck crawling on a motorway in traffic.

On check in, got given the room, for the girl behind the girl who checked me in to notice I had an Accor gold card (still hard to get status recognition in most hotels), so was happy with the fact it was spotted and as they clearly must have had executive rooms left, I got upgraded. First time ever as a gold card member, err first time ever.

Room, though look similar to a normal room are much larger with a settee and chairs and a small table. Fruit provided and sparking water (hate sparkling water...but not the point). Nespresso machine, I hate these machines, complete rip off hence I have an expensive espresso machine at home (for proper non ripoff coffee) and a filter machine. Though I hate them that much I obviously used all supplied pods. Could have asked for more but would still be hyper on caffeine.

And last but not least a dressing gown and slippers, used the gown as great after a shower.

Again, as normal got a good DBB rate, and food as always at evening meal was top class. Not had a bad meal or part of meal here ever on 4-5 visits.

Can't wait till next time, an upgrade again please ;) oh and a free drink would be nice (though one or the other will do...).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank jon_hall

Dear Jon

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us.
I am so glad that with so many options to choice from , you choice to stay with us again here at the Mecure Oak, Hatfield.

I am glad you appreciated your upgrade, and enjoyed your dinner that evening.
Marek , Head Chef and his team do pride themselves on delivering high quality , freshly prepared dishes.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your 6th visit.

Regards

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for the second time last weekend and again we had a brilliant stay!!! The room was very clean, very spacious and beds really comfortable. It had all of the amenities needed such as tea, coffee, spear fresh towels, hair dryer & toiletries. The evening meal in the restaurant is exceptional, much nicer than any posh restaurants we have gone to in the past, the presentation is fab and food is very tasty!! Breakfast and lunch just as good. But most of all the biggest compliment must go to the staff, as managers in customer service we easily get wound up by poor service standards. However it has to be said that we could not fault anything about these guys, they all could not do anything more to go above and beyond for their customers. They are so polite, friendly and professional. The person who trains these staff clearly sets the correct standard that each one of these staff follow at all times. They are a credit to your hotel and make it a pleasure for your customers to visit. We will definitely be back soon. Thank you!!!

Dear Chloe

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review following your recent stay with us here at the Mecure Oak Hatfield.

It is so nice to read such favourable comments on hotel but gives us great pride is to read the comments you made about the team here at the hotel, the team here really care about the guests experience and are always striving to ensure every guest has a memorable experience.

I hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Have just returned from our one-might stay at this hotel; we cannot recommend it highly enough. We booked an executive room with dinner and breakfast-such great value. Some reviewers have commented on décor, we found it absolutely fine. The staff are amazing. It's like they know exactly want you need before you even have to ask for it. Restaurant was lovely, food- top notch, staff made our toddler feel welcome and kept him busy. Bar was relaxed and welcoming, room service was good. We'd definitely give five out of five stars, because even though there may be some small things that would make other people rate the Mercure Hatfield Oak lower, our whole stay was an absolute pleasure and we were able to totally relax. (Please put signs in the bathroom warning that the water gets very hot, very quickly).

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for writing your review following your family stay here at the hotel.

I am so pleased you had a lovely evening and enjoyed the food and the relaxed atmosphere, and I am so happy the team looked after you so well.

I hope we will see you all again soon.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

dated carpets and decor made me feel a bit like i was in a B&B. Decent TV in the bedroom but everything else a bit past the sell by date. That said all the bedding and bathroom was very clean. Room service for hot food finished at 9.30 which was a shame cause i was starving! Reception staff very helpful and polite. Onto breakfast..... plenty of choice - i ordered poached eggs - a good barometer for food i reckon! Fail. completely hard :( .

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank penrosemoons

Thank you for writing your review and I am sorry to hear you were fully satisfied with your stay, although I am pleased to read that you received good service whilst you were here.

Our chef has taken on board your comments in respect to the food.

In respect to the decor we were infact fully refurbished only four years ago and and we do work hard to ensure our standards are maintained.

I hope the decor has not detered you from considering using again should you be in the area.

Kind Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatfield
Beales Hatfield Hotel
Beales Hatfield Hotel
#1 of 6 in Hatfield
Travelodge Hatfield Central
Premier Inn Hatfield Hotel
Holiday Inn Express St. Albans - M25, Jct. 22
Best Western Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel
Best Western Welwyn Garden City ...
#3 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City
Sopwell House
Sopwell House
#3 of 10 in St Albans

Been to Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!