“go for lunch if u r hungry”

The Woodman Inn & Carvery Restaurant
Ranked #51 of 78 Restaurants in Hatfield
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London
“go for lunch if u r hungry”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Went here with friends for the first time (after finding it in Tripadvisor) this Thursday the 10th. The pub is in the country with a large car park and a garden with tables.It is not far from South Mimms services so if you are travelling round the M25 and have to stop to get petrol, I recommend that you don't eat at the services but drive a couple of miles up the road to this pub. We got there at 12.30 and only 4 other people were there. I don't normally like a big lunch and nor do the others but once I saw the carvery with turkey, gammon and beef with all the trimmings at only 11.50, I couldn't resist trying it. We didn't have starters. My wife had an egg mayo baguette which she said was very tasty and as it was too big for her, they packed it up for her to take home. one had the Spanish omelette and crispy chips and another had the baked potato filled with tuna. All very tasty. The chef came out of the kitchen to carve the meats and I did ask him to take off the outside layer as it looked a bit dry from the heat lamps. He had no problem at all taking this layer off and the beef and gammon were both succulent and tender. I had roast potatoes which were OK but they had been under the lamps a little too long, but once I put the gravy on them they were fine. There was also a selection of veg.
I was definitely not going to have a desert after such a large main course, but they had my favorite which is spotted dick with custard. We decided that it would not be too naughty if we ordered one portion with 3 spoons. I am glad we did as it was excellent. They also have other favorite naughty and fattening puddings like syrup sponge etc. My wife ordered the child's portion of ice cream which came with 2 large scoops for which she was only charged £1.50 very reasonable for a restaurant. Including drinks all round and the tip, the whole lot only came to £40. They have long tables in the dining area so I would think that they often have parties.
I will definitely be returning.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Travelguidebarbie

St Albans, United Kingdom
“Good pub menu, service outstanding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

This is a carvery, with wide choice of not only the usual roast turkey, beef, etc, but also home made chicken and steak pies, and fish. Veg are fresh, yorkshire puddings a sensible size, and real comfort puds as well as ice cream sundaes.

It is a traditional pub with beams, fireplaces etc, and a choice of two draught ales. I noticed a well kept, enclosed garden, though it was too cold to sit out.

But what made it stand out, and the reason for this review, was the help from our waitress. She welcomed us with a big smile, produced a spotlessly clean high chair for our grandson, washed his bowl and spoon, brought from home, between courses, and then included his bib in a second wash so we didn't have to take anything dirty home!

Service was very swift, they weren't busy but I have still had to wait in other places when the restaurant has been empty. Good value too, with two courses, including as much as you can eat from the Carvery, for £11.25. You can add on a third course for an extra £2 if you have room!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Roz F
Barnet, United Kingdom
“Only Been for a Drink”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

Seems a nice enough pub/restaurant. Pleasant staff behind the bar, nice selection of draft beers and lagers. Menu looks typically pubish and prices seem reasonable.

Drinks wise the beer was cold and far less than some other local pubs, tucked away location makes it a nice spot for a quiet afternoon drink

• Visited July 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Best Carvery In Herts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

The carvery at the Woodman is excellent, a group of 14 of us went late last year and everyone loved it. Very reasonably priced too.
Can't say anymore other than go!!!! Don't waste your time with that Toby's rubbish

Visited October 2012