“Comfortable hotel with very good service”

Beales Hatfield Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Hatfield
Yorkshire
“Comfortable hotel with very good service”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Well designed, clean and attractive rooms, quality towels, comfy beds, friendly and helpful staff, interesting art work around the hotel, good food. Only criticism a heated towel rail in the bathroom would have been good. Very quiet, no noise at night from surrounding roads - must be very well soundproofed. A modern and attractive hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank loveturkeyYorkshire
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Thank you for your kind review of Beales Hotel.

I am delighted that we looked after you so well and that everything was to your satisfaction.

I am particularly pleased to hear that you found the hotel bedrooms quiet, they are built to a good standard, and are to the rear of the hotel in any case.

Cleanliness, and quiet are the two priorities for our guests above everything else, and I am so glad we succeeded in this during your stay.

Beales Hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed here on 16 November for a family member's birthday. To be fair, I'm writing this review after visiting Thailand and the standard of hotels there is hard to beat. However, having read that this was the best hotel in Hatfield etc etc and so many had given it four or five stars, myself and my family were expecting a lot. It was perfectly adequate but no way was it up to scratch compared to most other four star hotels we have stayed in in the UK. Firstly, when we arrived there was a wedding going on and the beginning of the reception seemed to be taking place in the small reception! The crowds and noise level was ridiculously deafening and we could hardly get to the desk with our luggage - not a great way to arrive (remember first impressions count). The staff were friendly enough, lots of sympathetic eyebrow raising, though at check in - in fact on the whole, the staff were relaxed and friendly although I didn't have too much interaction with them. The rooms - we had two opposite each other were tiny I thought and kind of smacked of business rather than the leisure traveller. The bathroom was OK but the basin was minuscule, basic toiletries and there was a useless makeup mirror (my sad barometer for a great hotel room along with hooks in the bathroom!) No mini bar but tea/coffee making facilities and some interesting biscuits. The party was great - the food was good and I slept OK and importantly the hotel wasn't overheated like many are. Breakfast the next day looked like it offered much but some of it was a bit tasteless - namely, according to my 13 year old son, the sausages! Overall, it was fine but not really four stars in my view. I wouldn't rush back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rita29
Thank you for your review of Beales Hotel.

Naturally I am sorry that your first impression was of a crowded reception area. We will try and keep our function guests further apart in future.

I can't agree with you that the bedrooms are tiny - they in fact vary between 21 and 25 m2 and are designed to a high standard with new flat screen TVs that take up hardly any space on the wall, desks that are much longer than the average, dedicated coffee making facilities along with iron and ironing board, queen size bed, decent wardrobe with shelving, etc.

Hotels are being built in London now with rooms no more than 12 to 15 m2. Perhaps in contrast to your recent Thailand experience we were a little below size ?

We have at least one hook in every bathroom, and the rather natty washbasins are Italian, we have never had a comment before about the size of them.

The sausages come hand made from our Essex producer and local butcher.

Our AA Four star rating comes complete with two AA Rosettes and a very high 79% quality rating making us the highest rated four star hotel in Hertfordshire.

We are sorry you won't be coming back, but assure all our Tripadvisor readers of our absolute dedication to quality each and every day, as the oldest family business in Hertfordshire, and because my family name is above the door.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed here for a family birthday on the 23rd november very well run hotel directly opposite the Galeria shopping centre clean tidy and friendly team rooms are larger than I expected which was a pleasant surprise,the bed was very very comfortable Great breakfast excellent choice !! friendly team throughout the hotel we were all made very welcome thank you all for making our stay

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank foodbarhotelreviewer
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you for your kind review of Beales Hotel.

I am so glad your family birthday stay was a success and that you were warmly welcomed to the hotel.

I was particularly pleased that you found the bed comfortable. They are made by Hypnos, reputedly the most comfortable beds in the world, but we also top them with a deluxe Gaillarde mattress topper for additional luxury.

Do come again to Beales Hotel, whether for a birthday celebration, or for no special reason at all !

With kind regards,

Winchcombe, UK
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Comfy, modern, & well provided rooms & public spaces.

Decent bar food (Beales burger & cheese platter enjoyed!)

Only downsides = 'view' over roof tops to motorway and shopping mall! Plus low level, background - but audible - traffic noise. (Didn't however interfere with sleeping)

Good to see university of Herts student artwork on prominent display throughout hotel; and clear local sourcing of food :)

Room Tip: Suggest NOT a room facing front/towards M-way & Galleria!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ArmenianJames
Thank you for your review of Beales Hotel.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found the bedrooms, public spaces and food all to your liking.

The views at the hotel are not the most glorious (for that you must pay a visit to our West Lodge Park Hotel set in 35 acres of beautiful grounds !), but all our bedrooms are to the rear of the hotel well away from the road.

I am pleased that you noticed the local artworks from the students and staff of the Fine Art department of the University of Hertfordshire - we now have over 130 original works of art, and the bedrooms are each named after the artwork within.

And local food is something of great importance to us, with much of our produce coming from farmers and suppliers well known to us in Hertfordshire.

Do come again, it will be a pleasure to welcome you back to Beales Hotel !

San Clemente, California
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

This is my third review on trip advisor for Beales hotel in Hatfield, Hertfordshire.
I have been staying at this hotel three to four times a year, for two years, and it never ceases to amaze me.
First I fell in love with the ambiance, then I got to know the fantastic customer service, the really yummy food at the OutsideIn restaurant, now I truly feel at home here.
For the past couple of times I got to know the reception manager, Mihaela Mindru, who is simply amazing - her customer service is impeccable, beyond words. She will bend over backwards to make the hotel guests feel like home here, and she does it with a certain grace.
Thanks again Beales hotel and Beales hotel staff!!!
Your loyal visitor /guest from California - US

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Wow, I think this is the first three-time review of Beales Hotel, thank you so much.

Hatfield feels a long way from sunny California, (the beaches and the palm trees don't really compare...) so it is great that you have found a home from home at Beales !

I am very pleased that Mihaela has been so friendly to you over your multiple visits to this country.

Do keep coming, it is a pleasure to welcome you from across the pond !

Kindest regards,

Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

As a native of Hatfield but now living in it's twin country of SPAIN, my wife and I recently attended a wedding at this wonderful hotel. Strange to think that my brother got married on this very site when it was the Hatfield Lodge and I was returning to this sacred ground for a wedding in the hotel it's self. The venue was perfect, good central location, easy parking and easy smooth check-in. The room was spacious and very clean, loved the original painting on the wall which gave the name to the room. All paintings were done by local artists at the University, nice touch.
Laura and Mark the newly weds had done a great job in selecting this venue and everybody was equally impressed. The Bar staff were often under pressure but not once did they let it get to them, always smiling. The wedding breakfast was in a separate room and once again this hotel was supporting local traders by using locally produced products. other chains could learn from this! All in all a great night stay and when I am back in Hatfield it will be the Beales Hotel for me. Ps: The wife liked the fact that the shopping centre was just across the road!!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CostaMan
Thank you so much for your kind review following your recent visit for a wedding at Beales Hotel.

I was so pleased to hear that your brother got married in the old Hatfield Lodge Hotel on the same site.

We bought the Embassy Hotel on the Great North Road in Hatfield in August 1964 and renamed it Hatfield Lodge Hotel, to give it a similar name to our West Lodge Park Hotel. Over the following 40 years we redeveloped the hotel, adding on large banqueting rooms and various extensions.

Then in 2004 we knocked the whole thing to the ground and started again, with what is now the stunning Beales Hotel.

Next year will be our 50th year in Hatfield, so we are looking forward to celebrating this in a variety of ways.

Do come again next time you are over from Spain, it will be a pleasure to welcome you back !

Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

Over the years I have stayed in most of the hotels in and around Hatfield whilst visiting on business. My employer didn't have this hotel on the available list.

Having changed jobs and needing to come to Hatfield for a team training day we chose this hotel.

Staff are friendly and efficient. Rooms and decor are good. The Art is a nice touch.

Great hotel for the price.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kev-B-Lin
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thanks for your great review of Beales Hotel.

I am delighted that you thought us the best hotel in Hatfield, and this is corroborated by our hundreds of Tripadvisor reviewers who have deemed us to be the best in the area as well as being (currently) 5th in Hertfordshire out of 123 hotels.

We are currently undergoing our 2014 corporate rate renewals for all the local businesses in the area and would be delighted to welcome your firm onto this list if you have a regular need for bedrooms in this area.

Just contact our General Manager Chris Hall at the hotel.

Do come again next training day, we would be delighted to welcome you back to Beales Hotel !

Beales Hotels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatfield
Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel
Sopwell House
#3 of 10 in St Albans
Travelodge Hatfield Central
Premier Inn Hatfield Hotel

Been to Beales Hatfield Hotel? Share your experiences!