“Very happy.”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Hatfield
Hatfield, United Kingdom
“Very happy.”
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Came here last minute for my bboyfriends birthday treat after I made a booking at a different hotel and had to walk out as it was shambolic. Called Beales and was given a quote for a brilliant deal for dinner bed and breakfast. Everything was flawless from the check in with the lovely receptionist to the delicious breakfast in the morning. The three course meal alone we received In the restaurant was worth the £45 we paid each for the whole stay, the food was excellent and every mouthful was bliss. Every member of staff we encountered were polite and well trained. So glad we ended up here!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank LizzieEllingford
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank you for your kind review of Beales Hotel !

I am so glad you ended up with us after the shambles at the other hotel.

We do have amazing dinner bed and breakfast offers (have a look at the special offers page of our website for details), and we generally have these offers going on Fridays to Sundays when we are a bit quieter.

Do come again, I am so delighted that every aspect of your stay was so satisfactory.

Beales Hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Abbots Langley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

My wife and I had a booked lunch time meal at Beales Inside Out on 21st November.

We were very worried when we walked in as the restaurant was empty, and I could not find anybody to look after us.
After about 5 minutes waiting, I went to the back of the room and found a waiter.
He offered me every table in the room. We chose a table and proceeded to order our drinks and meal.
Obviously we had fantastic service, and were realy surprised as food was great. The chef even did a special sweet for my wife as it was her birthday. A nice touch.
Why with such good food was it empty.
We had our coffee in the bar, just to be with other people.
I would go again but would be worried about the atmosphere.

1 Thank neilann44
Thank you for your detailed review of Beales Hotel.

I am sorry that we were unattended in the Outsidein Restaurant on your arrival, this should of course not be the case and I will have words with the team.

However I am pleased that we looked after you well from then on, and that you found the food worthy of its awards.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back, if you are worried about the number booked on a particular lunchtime or evening, just ask and we will give you the answer without hesitation.

St Albans
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Special birthday and had the choice of 2 rooms - one traditional the other 4 smaller conference rooms that opened up into a larger but more personal area.
Lots of help from the hotel staff to arrange /set up - Great local band, Junction sixteen and close up magician, Lee Smith.
All staff we came into contact with were very helpful - from check in to the barman who was still rushing around serving at 4 am !
Large room and bathroom with quality toiletries and special bed ! Massive and so comfy !
Breakfast also excellent. Special rate for the party group made the whole experience good for all who stayed over - some went shopping in the Galleria opposite whilst others went to Hatfield House for some culture. Would I stay here again ? Without a doubt

1 Thank Courtgazza
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
It was such a pleasure to host your special birthday party at the weekend, and thank you for subsequent complimentary communication with me that I have passed on to all the Beales Hotel team.

It goes without saying that it would be a great joy to welcome you all or some of you back again on a future occasion, whether for a full blown party like at the weekend, or for a more low key occasion.

I am glad that some of your party headed off for the Galleria and others to Hatfield House. This shows how the area can cater for all needs.

For me, visiting a shopping centre is worse than a trip to the dentist, but I know plenty of people who would say the same thing about the medieval splendour of Hatfield House which would keep me happily engrossed for hours !

Come back soon, and many congratulations for the "special birthday", the exact number being strictly private and confidential !

Kindest regards,

Yorkshire
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Well designed, clean and attractive rooms, quality towels, comfy beds, friendly and helpful staff, interesting art work around the hotel, good food. Only criticism a heated towel rail in the bathroom would have been good. Very quiet, no noise at night from surrounding roads - must be very well soundproofed. A modern and attractive hotel.

1 Thank loveturkeyYorkshire
Thank you for your kind review of Beales Hotel.

I am delighted that we looked after you so well and that everything was to your satisfaction.

I am particularly pleased to hear that you found the hotel bedrooms quiet, they are built to a good standard, and are to the rear of the hotel in any case.

Cleanliness, and quiet are the two priorities for our guests above everything else, and I am so glad we succeeded in this during your stay.

London
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed here on 16 November for a family member's birthday. To be fair, I'm writing this review after visiting Thailand and the standard of hotels there is hard to beat. However, having read that this was the best hotel in Hatfield etc etc and so many had given it four or five stars, myself and my family were expecting a lot. It was perfectly adequate but no way was it up to scratch compared to most other four star hotels we have stayed in in the UK. Firstly, when we arrived there was a wedding going on and the beginning of the reception seemed to be taking place in the small reception! The crowds and noise level was ridiculously deafening and we could hardly get to the desk with our luggage - not a great way to arrive (remember first impressions count). The staff were friendly enough, lots of sympathetic eyebrow raising, though at check in - in fact on the whole, the staff were relaxed and friendly although I didn't have too much interaction with them. The rooms - we had two opposite each other were tiny I thought and kind of smacked of business rather than the leisure traveller. The bathroom was OK but the basin was minuscule, basic toiletries and there was a useless makeup mirror (my sad barometer for a great hotel room along with hooks in the bathroom!) No mini bar but tea/coffee making facilities and some interesting biscuits. The party was great - the food was good and I slept OK and importantly the hotel wasn't overheated like many are. Breakfast the next day looked like it offered much but some of it was a bit tasteless - namely, according to my 13 year old son, the sausages! Overall, it was fine but not really four stars in my view. I wouldn't rush back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rita29
Thank you for your review of Beales Hotel.

Naturally I am sorry that your first impression was of a crowded reception area. We will try and keep our function guests further apart in future.

I can't agree with you that the bedrooms are tiny - they in fact vary between 21 and 25 m2 and are designed to a high standard with new flat screen TVs that take up hardly any space on the wall, desks that are much longer than the average, dedicated coffee making facilities along with iron and ironing board, queen size bed, decent wardrobe with shelving, etc.

Hotels are being built in London now with rooms no more than 12 to 15 m2. Perhaps in contrast to your recent Thailand experience we were a little below size ?

We have at least one hook in every bathroom, and the rather natty washbasins are Italian, we have never had a comment before about the size of them.

The sausages come hand made from our Essex producer and local butcher.

Our AA Four star rating comes complete with two AA Rosettes and a very high 79% quality rating making us the highest rated four star hotel in Hertfordshire.

We are sorry you won't be coming back, but assure all our Tripadvisor readers of our absolute dedication to quality each and every day, as the oldest family business in Hertfordshire, and because my family name is above the door.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed here for a family birthday on the 23rd november very well run hotel directly opposite the Galeria shopping centre clean tidy and friendly team rooms are larger than I expected which was a pleasant surprise,the bed was very very comfortable Great breakfast excellent choice !! friendly team throughout the hotel we were all made very welcome thank you all for making our stay

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank foodbarhotelreviewer
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you for your kind review of Beales Hotel.

I am so glad your family birthday stay was a success and that you were warmly welcomed to the hotel.

I was particularly pleased that you found the bed comfortable. They are made by Hypnos, reputedly the most comfortable beds in the world, but we also top them with a deluxe Gaillarde mattress topper for additional luxury.

Do come again to Beales Hotel, whether for a birthday celebration, or for no special reason at all !

Winchcombe, UK
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Comfy, modern, & well provided rooms & public spaces.

Decent bar food (Beales burger & cheese platter enjoyed!)

Only downsides = 'view' over roof tops to motorway and shopping mall! Plus low level, background - but audible - traffic noise. (Didn't however interfere with sleeping)

Good to see university of Herts student artwork on prominent display throughout hotel; and clear local sourcing of food :)

Room Tip: Suggest NOT a room facing front/towards M-way & Galleria!