“It would have been very good, if not for a rubbish mattress”

Beales Hatfield Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Hatfield
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Beales is a contemporary hotel just opposite the Galleria shopping centre. Large car park and set back from the road. The room was large, clean and well presented as was the en suite. I was surprised at how quiet the room was, especially at night but did I sleep well? No! The mattress totally undermined the image the hotel is trying to present. Old, lumpy and with small feathers coming out of it. So soft that both my wife and I rolled down the V and ended up in the middle. It was like trying to sleep on a steep bank, rubbish!
Breakfast in the morning was very good and the food nice and fresh, a difficult thing to achieve for a small hotel with no much turn over in the morning.
The bar is small and not too pricey for hotel.
All the staff were very polite and nothing was too much trouble, or so it seemed.
Real shame that the mattress destroyed my nights sleep and thus my enjoyment of my stay. Would I go again, that would depend on getting a nice new firm mattress!
Apparently they are in the middle of replacing all the mattresses (or so they said when we checked out).

Room Tip: Make sure you get a firm mattress.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

I am sorry that you did not sleep well.

I would be very grateful if you could email me the room number that you stayed in as we do not know that information.

We have new Hypnos pocket sprung beds arriving at the beginning of April and the room you stayed in will definitely receive one of the new beds.

I am glad that all other aspects of your stay were satisfactory.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stayed at Beatles Hotel for a Bar mitzvah party. The hotel is modern with a warm boutique feel.

Friendly and helpful staff. The lady on reception changed my room from a ground floor to a 1st floor upon request with no fuss. My room was spotlessly clean and stylish and the bed was very comfortable. Free WiFi in the bedroom which worked well and a pleasant modern bathroom, again spotlessly clean.

The party I attended had 140 guests and I was very impressed with the food service, each table was served quickly and the food was nice and hot and of a high standard.

A highly recommended hotel. Julian

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind review of your stay and the barmitzvah party you attended last weekend at Beales Hotel.

I am delighted that everything went so well.

We have developed a reputation over the last few years for Barmitzvahs and Batmitzvahs - the hotel works so well for these, with a large main function room, direct access from all of North London up the A1(M), and very flexible catering.

Nonetheless, every Simcha we host is challenging to get absolutely right, as we are aware of the importance of the day to the family.

Do come again, it will be a pleasure to welcome you back to Beales (or Beatles !!) Hotel.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Modern hotel, room was spacious and clean. Well placed for the motorway network. Station with frequent trains to London a couple of miles away .Check in and out was quick and efficient. Bar area is small but was quiet and service was good and staff friendly. Food in the bar was good and breakfast was excellent with a good choice. Overall a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you for your kind review of Beales Hotel.

I am glad we fitted the bill so well for your visit to the Herts and London area.

We have just been through our AA inspection this year and have been awarded two AA rosettes for the cuisine, along with a very high 79% quality rating and of course 4 stars. This combination makes us the highest rated four star hotel in Hertfordshire.

Do come again next time you are up this way from Bristol, or try our sister hotel West Lodge Park with very similar standards but a more traditional feel.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We stayed here as a lovely weekend break thanks to a TravelZoo deal. It was a very good price and we had a great stay overall. It's a 10min drive to St Albans city centre (which is lovely) and right by the Galleria outlet centre, which was good to wander around.

Our dinner was very tasty - I highly recommend the ice cream for dessert; it was the best either of us had ever tasted. The hotel is obviously proud (and rightly so) of its local produce and artwork from local artists, which is a nice touch. Breakfast was also delicious and good quality. A lot of the food had gone (and wasn't replaced) by 10am, but that serves us right for not getting up earlier. I would advise you to be careful of the plates - they were absolutely boiling hot, to the point where I hurt myself and we could only hold them with napkins.

The room unfortunately wasn't as clean as I had hoped. The first bad sign was that the toilet hadn't been flushed (maybe not even cleaned, then?!) before our arrival - not what you want to be greeted with! There were also a few stains here and there on cushions. Other than that, the hotel seemed clean and well-kept. The bar is small, but it was very quiet - we were the only people there. There was a good selection of wines and they were a reasonable price, plus it was nice to be able to order a carafe.

Check-in and check-out was very speedy and the staff was friendly. All in all, a nice stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 321Manda
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Thank you for your review of Beales Hotel.

I am glad we looked after you so well after the initial hiatus with the housekeeping issues. Sorry about that.

Fortunately things improved with the dinner and breakfast.

The ice cream comes from Manor Farm Creamery near Bury St Edmunds. You can find them online if you look for Criterion Ices. They are a third generation family producer of Italian origin (where else ?!).

I am glad you were able to make the most of the local area too - St Albans is so near, the Galleria shopping centre directly opposite, and Hatfield House is a must see just a few minutes away.

Do come again, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back to Beales Hotel.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Wow, definitely staying there again. We started visiting Hatfield at least twice a year since 2012. Been staying at the Ramada because Beale was fully booked on these occasions. I was surprised when Booking.com showed Beale had rooms available.
1. Check in staff was fantastic. Took all but 5 minutes!;
2. Room was well appointed, clean and comfortable;
3. Room service fast and staff courteous;
4. Breakfast was OK but loved the ambience!;
5. Check out was fast too! But staff got to be careful because they nearly gave me a free stay!
Pointed out that Booking.com just reserved the room but the hotel will charge me when I
check out.
All in all, hotel and staff were fantastic. Thank you.

Room Tip: Get the classic room if you're travelling as a couple. Ample space even with three big luggage!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew B, Owner at Beales Hatfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thank you so much for your kind review of Beales Hotel.

I am so glad we had space for you, and that you were able to stay with us rather than with the Ramada which is sadly a failing hotel these days.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you again to the hotel in the future, and there is generally availability both midweek and at weekends, but do try booking via our website where there is often a bit of late availability that hasn't translated to booking.com.

In the meantime enjoy Kuala Lumpur, which I am guessing is very nice at this time of year !

With kindest regards,

Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Good modern hotel which offers all the facilities required like bar, restaurant and gym. It is also well connected to the motorways and is well positioned with lots restaurants nearby. The rooms are of a quite good standard, modern and have comfortable beds. The major let down is that they don't feel clean. My room had stains all over the carpet, bits all over and a toothpick on the floor. The bathroom was a bit dirty as well with grime accumulated between plug hole and sink and run marks under the toilet seat. The bed was carelessly made as well with the sheet not properly covering the mattress -no one wants to sleep with their head near an exposed mattress in a hotel. Therefore rather than enjoying a 3 night stay I spent my time avoiding the stains and dirty carpets.

Unfortunately this isn't good enough especially when the room rate was £150/night so to the directors who proudly display their photos on the wall you need to get more hands on and deal with these basic issues even if that means inspecting the rooms yourselves.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BarryFromTheMountain

Thank you for your review of Beales Hotel.

I am sorry that housekeeping was so disappointing at the outset.

I am troubled by the fact that you said you were in the room for 3 days avoiding the stains and dirty carpets.

I hope you said something to our reception team, it would have been fixed immediately we were aware of the problem.

The same would apply in any hotel, and to anyone staying in a hotel - sometimes things go amiss, (and I am sorry they weren't correct in your case). But all hotels rely on their guests to bring things to their attention.

We will fix things immediately that this is notified to us, either by sending in a housekeeping team to blitz the room, or by moving you to another room.

The reputation of housekeeping at Beales Hotel is very high, but I am sorry that we fell down in this instance.

Regards,

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed on 1st February for one night with family, we found the staff excellent, the rooms well appointed, food to a very good standard, overall our stay was a good experience and we would be happy to return in the future.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank andywoodward2012

Thank you for your kind review of Beales Hotel.

I am so glad we looked after you well as a family.

We would not call ourselves a "family hotel" with childrens' ball pits, playground, colouring pads and crayons etc.

However we do have lots of intercommunicating rooms, childrens menu in the restaurant, discounts for children, high chairs etc, and special rates for those families visiting the Warner Brothers Harry Potter Studio tour with Superbreaks.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you all back down from Manchester next time you are in the Hatfield area !

Beales Hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatfield
Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel
West Lodge Park Hotel
Sopwell House
Sopwell House
#3 of 10 in St Albans
Travelodge Hatfield Central
Clarion Collection Hotel St. Albans
Best Western Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel
Best Western Welwyn Garden City ...
#3 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City

Been to Beales Hatfield Hotel? Share your experiences!