“70th birthday”

Down Hall Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hatfield Heath
“70th birthday”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This was a surprise present for my mother in law.The whole process from start to finish was excellent.From the original booking , showing us around the beautiful hotel and complementary coffee we knew we had made the right choice.The service was above what we have ever experienced before.The receptionists were helpful and the waiter in the grill room most welcoming.The rooms were redecorated to a high standard and very comfortable.I would highly recommend the stay here.There was a wedding at the same time and was carefully placed so did not distract from the other guests.Excellent weekend,thankyou

Room Tip: new rooms 412 and surrounding rooms very quiet and tastefully done
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
DownHallManagement, General Manager at Down Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Many congratulations on your special occasion and we are so pleased to hear it was a success.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

I booked a room for one night only, breakfast included. On arrival we found an empty reception , short wait for staff to show up, no ID asked from me or my husband nor we were asked to show the credit card we used to pay over the phone.It is really concerning the lack of security. No information of breakfast times or where was served. Hotel renovating during our stay, 3 painters right outside our room for hours ,non stop chatting, spoiling any chances to take a much needed nap. Our room was spotless , the bed was comfortable and so were the pillows. Breakfast buffet had quality food but not a lot of choice, surprised there were no bread rolls on offer.. overall,the stay was a bit of a disappointment , and we found the lack of security checks on arrival shocking.

• Stayed March 2014
Thanks for sharing your recent experience. As regards check in , the renovation and breakfast times please accept my apologies.
I am confused though by your "shock "over ID. As a regular user of hotels I have never been asked for ID on check in ,other than when I was a foreign visitor.I will gladly discuss this if you choose to call the hotel.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

My daughter and I had an excellent 3 course Sunday Lunch at The Grill courtesy of a raffle prize we'd recently won. I'm a Coeliac so had telephoned ahead to ask about gluten free options, and I certainly wasn't disappointed. The waiter knew exactly what dishes I was able to have and even offered an alternative sweet (mixed berry cheesecake) which was absolutely delicious. We could not fault the service or the food.

Afterwards we retired to the lounge with our coffee and took in the splendour of the building and décor. A lovely Sunday afternoon.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
We are really pleased you enjoyed your recent meal at the hotel.Hope to see you again in the near future.
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

The night before I came to the hotel I read the reviews and have to say that they were mixed at best. Although it was a corporate booking and not costing me a penny I was concerned that the ratings were not great. However, my experience could not be more different from those negative reviews that I read.

The Hotel
Very impressive - lovely gardens with fountain. Public areas clean and sympathetically decorated. The older part of the house where we spent most of our time was particularly impressive and well kept.

The Room
I stayed on the first floor room 412. This was one of the recently refitted rooms, was immaculately clean and a good size - the bathroom was well above average size. The refreshments were plentiful and a good supply of toiletries were provided. The bed was extremely large & comfortable

The Food
Cannot fault it! At the corporate event during the day the food was delicious and plentiful and the puddings delicious. We were well fed and watered all day. The evening meal was equally delicious, good provision was given to those in our group who had specific dietary requirements Not huge portions but just right for a civilised meal. Breakfast lovely also - great choice

The Service
This was the negative reporting from others on this site. I could not disagree more. Checking In the staff were friendly and helpful, offering umbrellas for me to go and collect my suitcase from the car. The staff providing food and beverages throughout the day were helpful, yet appropriately unobtrusive. My kettle in my room did not work but on calling reception I had a porter at my door within 5 minutes to replace said kettle. He noticed that I was getting low on tea bags and had no biscuits left so insisted on bringing me some more.

Swimming pool/ Spa etc was undergoing a refurb so did not use, but didn't have time to anyway

Kind thanks to the management and staff for your service

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
DownHallManagement, General Manager at Down Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
We are really pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to being of future service.
Ibstock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Spent 2 days and 1 night at a business function which included an evening meal function.
I have visited quite a few 'Olde Worlde' English hotels that tend to suffer from being very grandiose in the main rooms but once behind the facade the rooms & service fail to match up to the initial splendour. HOWEVER on this occasion I can honestly say I was pleasantly surprised. This is a very impressive pile and delivers on all fronts, a long winding entrance, tucked out of the way giving peace and quiet the main rooms are oozing history and are very impressive. The grounds are excellent and kept in good order and the business facilities were more than adequate, in fact quite impressive.
The rooms were large, comfortable although the pillows & bed were quite firm, so if you do not like this check with hotel before booking, as it was only one night I managed OK.
Hallelujah & thank god a glass panel for the shower over the bath was present rather than those disgusting shower curtains. The bathroom was large and clean with adequate flow rate from the shower which was nice & hot.
I did hear a knocking noise throughout the night like the heating was faulty, but once asleep it was not loud enough to wake me up.
Business lunch and buffet were actually of a very good standard, tasty and hot, it is easy to deliver poor fare when mass catering but could not find fault. The evening function provided good fare without being spectacular, but again due to the numbers being catered for I have no complaints whatsoever, it was all delivered properly cooked and hot.
If I had any minor criticisms it would be that breakfast did not run smoothly and I had finished breakfast before I eventually had to ask for a hot drink. It seemed one poor girl who was customer focused was run ragged, whilst another stood twiddling her hair. Minor blip on an otherwise good stay.
The pool was also closed, check before booking

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience at the hall.
Harlow, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

This is a nice hotel, with a fantastic presence as you approach from the drive. It's nicely decorated and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The room was spacious and well appointed, with a nice clean feel to it. We had dinner in the grill restaurant and, by and large, it was very nice. It wasn't an extensive menu but the food was very tasty and well cooked. The only niggle was that a couple of the staff - one in particular- gave the impression that they didn't usually work in the restaurant. The rolls were forgotten, we had to wait a fair while before requested condiments were delivered etc. And the waitress wasn't particularly friendly either.
After dinner we headed for the impressive fireplace for drinks, only to find that it wasn't lit. It was fairly cool in the room too, and almost all of the lights remained on for the entire evening. I'd say this was quite a serious oversight...after all, it was winter and in a hotel with this level of history and grandeur, surely ambience is everything? I've stayed at this hotel before and never had these little problems so, will put it down to there being some busy wedding and anniversary functions on the night we stayed.
In conclusion, it was only a few minor points that stopped it from being an extremely enjoyable stay at a hotel with much to offer.
Would definitely return and would have no qualms about recommending Down Hall.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for placing your comments on Trip Advisor. I can explain the lighting , a recent storm interfered with our dimmer units.They were burn't out and till repaired the lights are either on full or off.Hope this helps.
Great Dunmow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We have had many meals here but this was our first overnight stay as we were attending a wedding.Managed to book an executive double for £ 85, which was cheaper than the wedding guest's "discount" price.
Arrived at 2.30 and the room was a good tempeture,which isn't always the case with hotels,as we all know! Apparently we were in the refurbished West Wing and the room and bathroom ( twin sinks ) were an excellent size and very clean.
The wedding was expertly managed with the sole comment that the kitchen got the Bride's main course wrong!
Breakfast was rather chaotic with guests from the two weddings staged the previous day being directed to the wrong dining rooms and the staff struggling to keep the buffet re charged but all were enthusiastically helpful!
It wasn't until we unpacked at a hotel in Redcar,(we returned a family guest home),that my wife realised we had not packed her double sided make up mirror. I emailed Down Hall at once and followed it up with 'phone calls but it was gone forever! So the £30 to replace it made the room less of a bargain then first thought.
Other thoughts:- the bar is impressive,as are the prices,but rather cramped but you can expand into the main lounge.also very impressive. With luck,you won't have kids running round the building as we did,mainly from our wedding!

Room Tip: We had 310, which is just inside the West Wing and were apprehensive re passing guests sound but it...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Sorry to hear about the mirror. I will get housekeeping to look at lost property records just in case.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatfield Heath
#1 of 1 in Sheering
Little Hallingbury Mill
Little Hallingbury Mill
#1 of 1 in Little Hallingbury

Been to Down Hall Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!