The Olde Kings Arms
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
Boxmoor Lodge Hotel(Hemel Hempstead)
  • Pool
Shendish Manor Hotel(Hemel Hempstead)
View Hotel
The Watermill Hotel(Hemel Hempstead)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe pubbeer festivalunder new managementstayed overnight at this hotelwouldn t hesitatehelpful member of staffmain bardefinitely stay here againstayed one nightcar parkgreat place to staygreat showerbed was comfortablefull english breakfaststaff were really friendlynext morningfree parking
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We stayed in Room 5, which was large and the shower was great. Our friends stayed in Room 1 which did not have room to swing a cat. Rooms were clean however. We stayed after attending a wedding along with the newly-weds and fellow guests. Breakfast was a shambles with one young, untrained girl left to provide for us while the management were away at a festival. The service was so slow that the Groom ended up cooking breakfast for all of us, otherwise we could have been there until dinner time.

Room Tip: Room 5 is spacious and has a good shower
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank colleen p
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Bit of a strange one this, The hotel itself looks like it's seen better days. It's an
'olde worlde ' pub as the name suggests but sadly it all looks a bit tatty. The staff were very friendly but to be honest, they could have just walked in off the street as they don't have any formal dress standard so jeans and hoodies etc were the norm.

The room was fine though possibly the smallest I've ever stayed in and was very clean, as was the bathroom. A comfortable bed, clean sheets plus a nice sized bathroom with a great shower and lots of clean, fresh linen. TV on the wall and tea & coffee facilities.

Then there was the downside.

The wardrobe was the tiniest example I've ever come across with just enough room to hang some shirts - except that the staff had thoughtfully provided an iron and ironing board. which took up most of the space. I'm not sure there was enough free floor space to accommodate an ironing board anyway.

I searched in vain for somewhere to put my case, and also for a hairdryer. There was also an enormous air con unit right above the bed, but no controller, so that went unused - possibly for the best as it was in need of a good clean. I suppose I should have asked the staff about that and the hairdryer, but really you shouldn't need to.

Breakfast was OK but basic and the dining room was very run down and tatty. I had planned to eat there in the evening but it looked so sad in the dining room that I just went elsewhere - and there's plenty of choice.

I stay in a lot of hotels on business and I now use mostly Premier Inns as they are basic but good and always the same standard. Couldn't get in my usual hotel this week so thought I'd treat myself to a nice hotel in the old town as it was on a special offer of £70 a night B&B.

Was it worth it? Just about, but I wouldn't want to pay any more. Would I stay again? Not out of choice. I have no complaints and had no real problems but it didn't quite meet expectations.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Stayed one night as a base for visit to the Harry Potter studios in Watford. Looked pretty basic from the outside but once inside this was a real find. Arrived at lunchtime and were immediately given a warm welcome. Enjoyed exellent pub lunch before being shown to our room. This was clean, good size, brilliant shower, TV, tea and coffee and air conditioning. Could have enjoyed the food in the evening but decided to eat out. Choice of 4 or 5 restaurants within 200 yards. Chose the Saffron Indian Restauant which was great.
Breakfast at The Olde Kings Arms was outstanding value and the service was very friendly. Will visit again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the side probably the quietest.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2012

From the moment I arrived I was warmly welcomed. Staff were all lovely and pleasant. It's a quiet pub which is maintained well, set in the middle of the old town high high street. I was in room 5 which was immaculate. Very light and airy and the shower was amazing!!! Definitely will be returning here!!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 6 February 2012

From arriving to some locals swearing in the bar to leaving 30 mins later I'm afraid my experience of the Old King's Arms wasn't great. Bed hadn't been made up (as laundry company had failed to turn up), taps and shower were dirty (toothpaste, soap), and the bathroom bin hadn't been tidied. Asked for the room to be changed and was told they were all the same so decided to leave and check in to a local Premier Inn.
4 stars it is not. 2 stars maybe - if they sort out their bed linen!

• Stayed: February 2012