“Great one night stay”

The Olde Kings Arms
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed with other members of my family on Saturday night 22nd March.
This was a great value stay. The room was large and we had a wet room en suite. We had a pub lunch in the bar which was also very good value and lovely food.
All of the staff seem to have been hand picked and were friendly and helpful, from the chambermaid upwards.
Our only disappointment was that we were unable to eat there in the evening as they were hosting a large charity dinner. Cant moan at that!
Thank you for a good stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Under new management since October and recently renovated. We were staying for a christening and stayed 2 nights. We arrived late and the manager Elliott let us park in the flagged beer garden. The road at the front of the pub is closed for repairs so car access is from the rear.
Our room (4) was fairly small but modern. Good bathroom and big powerful shower. We slept like logs so something was right.
Decent tv and tea tray and kettle. Small point- room could do with a hair dryer. But we paid £40 a night this was great value.
Breakfast is optional and is £5 a head fully freshly cooked with sausages from the local butcher. It includes toast and drinks. Nice touch and well worth it.
The bar and restaurant areas are very comfortable with decent beers and some good red wines. The nibbles are good. We arrived to late to eat in the restaurant and ate at the christening. However the restaurant menu looks good with main courses freshly cooked for £8/9.
We would stay here again and apparently rooms 7&8 are much bigger and cost £60. We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I stayed overnight at this hotel/pub in early March. It's situated in the Old Town part of Hemel Hempstead. The double room was well appointed with en-suite facility. Very clean and tidy, the staff were friendly and very helpful. My partner and I were very well received. The bed was very comfortable. I would certainly return here.

If you are looking for a place in Hemel Hempstead for a short stay do consider The Old Kings Arms Strongly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I stayed in room 6 which was large clean and tidy. The shower was slow to drain but not really a problem. I had a few problems trying to sort out the flush on the toilet. Overall I found the accommodation to be value for money and a lot better than other b & b 's that I had stayed at in the area. I would use it again. Car park was to small.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 February 2014

The Olde Kings Arms has apparently recently undergone a refurbishment. Whilst I can't say it's been entirely successful (the shower in my room had a tendency towards being slightly erratic, there was one tiny bin in the entire room), for the amount you're paying for the room it surely beats out staying at a Travelodge. The guy running the place (or at least behind the bar) was very attentive and helpful, the bed was comfortable and generally the room was nicely decorated and well-maintained. It's a little spartan, but I'd stay here again if I needed a room in Hemel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Definitely not as advertised. The bedroom ( room 1 ) was tiny, it stank of stale tobacco, the shower was filthy and mouldy, the toilet had not been cleaned after the last occupant had used it. Damp inside the wardrobe, and some very wiffy bedding. No car parking ( yet advertised as ) so we found a tiny spot to wedge our car in on a pavement by somebody's garden wall hoping not to get bumped. There was not even enough room to put our case ( a very small one ) on the floor of the bedroom.. The only good thing I can say , we were greeted by a very pleasant you man. Hence , we put the key in the bedroom door, picked up our case and walked.

Room Tip: Don't go there
Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bevr99
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Booked via Internet. Took ages to find as road outside was closed for major roadworks. Managed to find a pavement at the back of the place to wedge car in. Greeted by fantastic young man who couldn't have done more to welcome us. When we were shown to our room, it stunk of stale tobacco. The toilet was dirty, the shower black with mould. The walk in wardrobe had rising damp in it and the wall paper was hanging off. There were cheap air fresheners hanging everywhere to try to combat the stench. My wife nearly cried, so after a quick drink in the bar, and listening to all the bad language by the locals, I decided to leave immediately. I did not ask for my £50 back, as I didn't want to cause any trouble. I strongly advise you avoid this establishment at all costs. If it is an emergency, sleep in your car. A really dreadful place. Filthy rooms, an awful pong of stale tobacco and damp, and badly mis described on their website.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Aubrey Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redbourn
Travelodge Hemel Hempstead Gateway
Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead Central Hotel

Been to The Olde Kings Arms? Share your experiences!