“complacency rules”

Cuisines: Mediterranean, Gastropub
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 June 2014

When the hand dryer in the toilet is broken, there are no paper towels for drying hands, the tables are filthy and mostly not cleared, the staff chatting about inane issues and people are waiting to be served, maybe this should have indicated that the Marchmont was not the place it used to be. The lovely member of staff behind the bar was doing his best, was polite and helpful and had already taken our drinks order before I could say 'let's get out of here'. So we stayed awhile, had our drinks and sat on the veranda in the sunshine. We ordered some lunch, a lovely salt beef sandwich and some very odd croquets that were supposed to be varied, but in fact were all the same. We had to ask twice for our table to be cleaned. Lunch was served, and it was OK, but nothing special, and certainly not served or presented in any artistic or appetising way. We attempted to pay our bill at the bar, and the manageress, cigarette in hand (but not lit) could do with some customer service skills. My belief is that if you are going to serve a customer, you should do so to the best of your ability with a smile on your face and be as polite as you can muster. We didn't get that. We got surly, can't be bothered attitude and halfway through the transaction, passed on to a lesser member of staff to 'finish this off will you as I am going on my break' with no apology or explanation to us. So rude. This place is not what it used to be, which was relatively good, but is instead is a place where complacency has taken over and the customers are not important. The menu, is reasonable, the prices too, the wine list average. The service is average, the staff are pleasant, mostly, and the fixtures need fixing.

1  Thank mynonnaEly

Reviewed 7 June 2014

This was our first visit, but it will not be our last, we had a very enjoyable evening, the food was great and the service and staff were good. Tina and Helena made the evening very enjoyable with there friendly humour. Will recommend this restaurant to friends.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

This was my second visit with Friends for a Birthday treat.

Without exception, the whole experience from the Ambience, Service, the Starters to the Main Course to the Desserts together with the aperitifs and the SUPERB Dog Point New Zealand Marlborough Wine made for a thoroughly ENJOYABLE evening.

It is without question a Must Visit Place!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We visited the Marchmont Arms for Sunday lunch after walking out of the Bridgewater Arms in Little Gaddesdon and I'm very pleased we did. Very different from that experience the Marchmont Arms was welcoming and friendly. The food and service were good, served quickly and we had an enjoyable afternoon in the sunshine in their gardens. We would definitely return.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

My husband and I decided last minute to eat out for Sunday lunch. Not having made a booking, there were no tables in the restaurant area (which you can't really moan at) and with plenty of tables in the bar area we were seated and were able to order food without issue. The food came to £33 for two meals, no alcoholic drinks. In my opinion this isn't cheap nor is it ghastly expensive. I don't begrudge paying this, but I may as well have gone to McDonalds. The whole place was loud, raucous and full to the brim with crying and misbehaved children. I am not a child catcher and I accept children should experience the dining out experience as well, however maybe a consideration could be given to those visiting without children to maybe have a small area whereby children won't be seated next to you, an adult only or 12+ area. There was squawking coming from all areas of the premises, no respite from it wherever we chose to sit. I usually like the Marchmont for it's intimate setting and class... However on this occasion this was lost for me. It won't put me off going again, however I'd be more inclined to go if I knew my reservation could be made where there wouldn't be children crying