“Christimas Meal” 5 of 5 bubbles

Orangery restaurant
Ranked #55 of 158 Restaurants in Hemel Hempstead
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“Christimas Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Christmas meal and drinks with a group of friends from the gym - excellent set up and good quality food - would go again - Thanks

Visited December 2013

Watford, United Kingdom
“Love love love”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

I came here for valentines day with my boyfriend and two of our friends and our stay here was lovely! Would definitely recommend to others. Food was great and came out on time considering the amount of guests and the fact that there was a wedding reception going on. Staff were very friendly, chatty and helpful. Mo behind the bar was great! He definitely made our night! Would definitely come back :)

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hertfordshire
“Delightful afternoon tea!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Visited here with friends for my birthday and had a wonderful afternoon tea. Lovely variety of sandwiches and cakes and the scones were delicious. Service was great and nothing was too much trouble. Will definitely return and really great value for money.

Visited January 2014
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“Extremely enjoyable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

A friend treated me to afternoon tea for my Christmas gift, we had an extremely enjoyable few hours and an excellent tea in very comfortable surroundings. The staff were attentive and pleasant
The outside of the hotel was lit up when we left and it looked impressive. I left feeling that I would return for lunch or dinner .

Visited January 2014
“Christmas Lunch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

When we booked this we were "lucky" that they had a table for four but we needed to be there at 12:30. I questioned how long given the specific sitting time how long we had the table. Long as you like they said. Why then the specific start I thought. More later.

We arrived at 12:15 greeted by an untidy lady wielding a stock-takers wooden clipboard who whisked us off to a small table having collected our bubbly on the way.

First thing that struck us was how un-Christmassy it all felt. Apart from us four there were about ten other people in this large shell of a room.

The room windowed on one side was set out with tables ready for varying sizes of dining groups from 10 to 12 sized groups down to very small tables for 4 - pecking order setup being big tables got the sunlight the small we're furthest away in the corners (where we were led to following the glass of bubbly and an hors d'oeuvre the size of a postage stamp served on a nasty paper napkin).

The striking thing about Shendish's tables wasn't the Christmas decorations making the tables look luxurious (hardly any really) but the enormous table numbers which would visible to anyone a hundred yards away they were so large!

We ordered a £20 bottle of Rioja which came back and was unceremoniously unscrewed (!) at the table, plonked and that was that.

Name place settings were there and despite correcting them during the booking process when they had twice misspelled my surname the damn misspelling were now glaring again at me. I hate my name being spelled on assumption.

Without much ceremony along came the starters. My so and I has ordered pate. We each agreed the not only was the pate totally tasteless it was so dry and hard it was also unpleasant to eat.

Redemption came at least in the shape of the main corse which apart from the carrots that could easily be deployed where rubber bullets were required was very tasty.

The followed the Christmas pudding. Not Christmas pudding. What was served was a tasteless cup-shaped lump of bland fruitcake topped with tasteless and quite watery custard with a couple of holly leaves dumped on top (that'll be the Christmas bit I guess).

While we poor downtrodden small groups tried to enjoy what we'd all clearly overpaid for the rest if the room was still half empty.

Got it: 12:30 and the table us all yours all day is simply because the kitchen clearly can't cope with more than a couple of tables at a time (despite the fact that all the orders were place weeks in advance)

By the time we'd eaten what we had and upped and ready for off still one third of the tables were yet to be occupied.

What a disappointment.

And all the while that woman stomping to a fro with that stock taker's board.

Really poor value for at best bland food poorly served by mostly unhappy rather not be here staff.

Never again.